The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Minor correction on Simpson's thread at Animaton Nation...

Post by GeorgeC » April 11th, 2005, 6:47 pm

And to answer Christian's overriding question, yes, I DO follow you guys on other websites! :lol:

But seriously, somebody on another site asked if ALL the Tracey Ullman Simpsons segments had been released on DVD.

The correct answer I believe is not as far as I know.

There was a lawsuit filed by Tracey Ullman years against against The Simpsons producers seeking damages since The Simpsons were originally created as an animated segment for HER comedy-variety series on Fox. She felt she was entitled to money from the ongoing Simpsons series.

(Ironically, The Simpsons segments on the old Ullman Show were far more popular than the rest of Ms. Ullman's show and that's why The Simpsons went on to become an ongoing half-hour animated series while The Tracey Ullman Show was cancelled after 4 or 5 seasons... I'm sure that didn't sit well with Tracey Ullman.

(Fact is that Ms. Ullman had NOTHING to do with the creation of The Simpsons.)

I think Ullman ultimately lost her lawsuit but as a result over half the original Simpson shorts haven't been released on DVD. Fox just doesn't want to take chances on Tracey Ullman suing again. There's probably been more of these shorts bundled with the old Simpsons VHS tapes than have appeared on DVD thus far. Several of the shorts featuring connected storylines or arcs DID appear on The Simpsons Season 1 DVD box set as extras.

While the original Simpsons shorts were charmingly NASTY the original character designs are as far removed from the look of the current TV series as a Wright flyer is from a Boeing 747...! Most of the fans of those shorts can overlook their crude looks and mediocre animation to see that something got lost when The Simpsons evolved into a continuing 22-minute episode animated series...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 11th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Do you post over at Animation Nation?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2005, 7:10 pm

While the original Simpsons shorts were charmingly NASTY the original character designs are as far removed from the look of the current TV series as a Wright flyer is from a Boeing 747...! Most of the fans of those shorts can overlook their crude looks and mediocre animation to see that something got lost when The Simpsons evolved into a continuing 22-minute episode animated series...
I think (just my opinion) that if the Simpsons had been adapted NOWADAYS from the shorts into a series, the spirit of the shorts would probably have been better preserved. There are a lot of half-hour cartoons now with the zaniness/weirdness of the Tracy Ullman Simpsons. But in 1989 none of those shows existed, and the Simpsons had to adapt into a more "standard sitcom" type show, rather than a "Adult Swim/zany/acid trip" type series.

Then again (*head spinning*) it's BECAUSE of the Fox Simpsons series that TV cartoons evolved the way they did in the first place. Oh well.... :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 11th, 2005, 7:27 pm

[quote="Christian"]Do you post over at Animation Nation?[/quote]

Nah, I'd rather waste my time here! :lol:

But seriously, the threads at Animation Nation get really nasty and political sometimes.

The thin line of civility at ANation isn't held up very well when it's real obvious that the founder of both Animation Nation and the Animation Academy has a chip on his shoulder against Disney that's beyond belief. I felt one of the biggest mistakes that ANation made in the past few years was to jump almost completely on-board with Save Disney and we all know how that mess turned out...

There's also a not-so-subtle elitist attitude that settles over Animation Nation sometimes that I don't care for -- it's like a snobby country club. I'm not saying everybody over there that posts IS elitist, but there are definitely a couple of guys steering the conversations that deserve a reality check on the back of the head with a 4 X 4 plank of wood.

I'm sure that the half of Cartoon Brew that I don't care for finds it comfy at Animation Nation...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 11th, 2005, 7:45 pm

I know exactly what you mean but I've seen enough pro-Disney and neutral-Disney and egalitarian/non-elitist attitudes to feel safe posting there, although I don't fit in too much because I'm not an industry professional . . . yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2005, 8:28 am

Y'know, this is a pretty random thread!

Could you at least provide a link to the original therad at Animation Nation so that others can see what the correction is?

And, really, shouldn't you be posting that correction at Animation Nation, in that thread?

Just a thought... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 12th, 2005, 12:15 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2005, 8:31 pm

They recently discussed The Thief and the Cobbler, which was interesting. ("The Thief and the Cobbler" thread on Main Topics)

Pretty general consensus that he (Williams) should have finally decided on a story, even though some great work was produced.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Covers to the next five Simpsons DVD Boxsets up!

Post by GeorgeC » August 6th, 2005, 4:10 am

Here they are -- http://www.dvdbits.com/details.asp?newsid=3825

Folks, remember that Season 10 (the Bart head cover) is when the series started to get REALLY bad! Up until about then, it was still consistently good. Nowadays, it's mostly "meh."

Even the Treehouse of Horror Specials haven't been that good for at least 5 years now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 6th, 2005, 4:12 pm

I just bought the best of the "Treehouse of Horror" Simpsons at FYE for 15.00. You get four episodes, including the one where the gypsy curses Homer! :wink:

"How's that curse I cursed you with, Cursey?"
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 9th, 2005, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 6th, 2005, 5:37 pm

I don't think so... I thought it was funny up until like... 13. Season 12 had the episode "Trilogy of error" which is one of my favorite episodes. Then like... the next season I saw some sideshow bob episode that wasn't funny at all. And when a sideshow bob episode sucks, then there's a problem. I stopped watching it regurly, if at all. Just his past season I checked it out again, and they seem to be getting some of their charm back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2005, 5:39 pm

I personally think Season 6 (The one with the first part of Who Shot Mr. Burns?) is the best. It has the one with the "film festivel" in Springfield, where Jay Sherman the critic visits!

TV Announcer: "Coming up Next: The Jetsons meet the Flintsones!
Bart: Uh-oh, I smell another cheap cartoon cross-over.
Marge: Bart Simpson, meet Jay Sherman the Critic!

Apparently Matt Greoning had a big problem with putting Jay Sherman in that episode for some reason, he felt that characters from the Critic didn't belong in the Simpsons. He was very against it.

Anyway, I absolutely love Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Even though the ending really didn't make much sense.)

Dr. Hibbert: "Well, I'm sure I can't solve this mystery. (Points to the audience) Can....you?
Chief Wiggum: Well, I'll give it a shot, I mean, it's my job right?

Love how Smithers is drunk and running home to watch Comedy Central!

:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2005, 5:56 pm

Folks, remember that Season 10 (the Bart head cover) is when the series started to get REALLY bad! Up until about then, it was still consistently good.
Yeah, I agree season 10 was pretty bad, but it did have two really funny episodes: the one with Mark Hamill in the Sci-Fi convention, Mayor Quimby and Homer as his bodyguard (you have to watch it for it to make sense) and the one where the family goes to Japan. (one of my faves)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Simpsons and Animation

Post by ShyViolet » January 29th, 2006, 6:52 pm

What's your favorite send-up of Animation, done Simpsons style? They had a lot of funny parodies of animation throughout the years, from Schoolhouse Rock to Anime to Fritz the Cat. (not to mention "Steamboat Itchy")

My fave is "Worker and Parasite"--"Eastern Europe's favorite Cat and Mouse Team." Basically it was just weird looking cutout characters against squiggly backgrounds doing nothing, with minor chords in the background.

Also I looooooooooove this joke:

In "Another Simpsons Clip Show" Bart and Lisa were watching Itchy and Scratchy and Marge was trying to get them to turn it off. Bart was like: "They piece together old episodes and no one knows the difference." Lisa says: "Ren and Stimpy do it all the time" and Marge replies: "Yes they do, and when was the last time you heard anyone talk about Ren and Stimpy?"

(this was partly in response to John K's public dissing of the Simpsons)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 30th, 2006, 4:44 am

Some of my favourites include:

Worker and Parasite (Krusty Gets Kancelled)
This always gets me giggling. And the final message "Endet! Hoch Heuch!" has become a favourite of mine.

Scratchtasia/Pinitchio (Itchy and Scratchy Land)
Amazing send-ups of Disney classics.

"See my Vest!" (Two Dozen and One Greyhounds)
Not necessarily an animation send up in the same ways as the last two mentioned, but very good, with some interesting visuals.

Also, this isn't technically a send up, but I loved the cautionary warning after the Itchy cartoon in Deep Space Homer.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]