Tiny Toon Adventures

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tiny Toon Adventures

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2007, 12:29 am

TV Shows on DVD wrote:Last April we reported about a poll Warner Home Video was conducting, asking potential DVD buyers about their interest level in various cartoon properties they own..including Tiny Toon Adventures. We don't know if it "won the poll" or not, but we do know that this show is the most highly-wanted unreleased item from that poll among TVShowsOnDVD registered members. Now it looks like it might be finally seeing the light of day!

Ron "Keeper" O'Dell runs the "Keeper's Contemporary Warner Bros. Cartoon Files" website, and has been running that site for oh, about as long as the world wide web has been around. He's often been in-the-know about goings-on with many of the shows like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and more. This past Thursday (Nov. 1st) he posted this info: There currently are no plans for the final, volume 4 DVD release of Animaniacs. However, Tiny Toon Adventures has been green-lighted for release, in the same numerical-order format. Good news for Tiny Toons fans (although not-so-good for Animaniacs fans...looks like the studio will need some motivation in that quarter, so ask for the existing volumes you don't already own as holiday gifts, okay?).

With gossip about Freakazoid! also coming to light this past few days from separate (and multiple) sources, it sounds like Tiny Toons may indeed be set for release in 2008. Keep in mind, though, that Warner has not officially announced this, or even confirmed the info we're passing along. Count it as a rumor for now, and we'll update you when developments occur. Stay tuned!
I know its not confirmed, but that's a pretty reliable source, so.... YAY! I've been waiting years for this to get released and with it not even on TV right now, I'm so craving Tiny Toons!
Last edited by Daniel on July 30th, 2008, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 6th, 2007, 12:38 am

As long as they release the movie ("How I Spent My Vacation", which is probably the best Tiny Toons story ever) I'll be happy.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2007, 9:40 am

I liked TinyToons when it aired, but that was because there hadn't been anything like it before.

Since then, other shows have been bigger and better, and TinyToons really feels faded in humor and pacing now. If we were able to get a review copy, I'd be welcome to revisiting the show and seeing if it makes me laugh now, but with Freakazoid (we never got Hysteria! here) also in the mix, those seemed like the funnier, zippier and smarter shows.

Good news though...and Vacation was the best special, the only episode I retained from a VHS collection (and I also have the LD).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2007, 3:35 pm

I love the Vacation special, yes, best special indeed. I have it on tape somewhere, but would love to retire it and get it on DVD.

Here's hoping AV gets the chance to review it, would like your take on it! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2007, 1:28 pm

It would certainly be a positive one! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 11th, 2007, 8:16 pm

I used to watch tiny toons all the time. I would love to see them again to judge if it was really all that great. I don't remember liking it that much back then so I'm not sure if I would like it more now. I never liked Animaniacs but I saw an episode a few months ago and I thought it was kind of witty. ^.^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 17th, 2007, 4:10 pm

IMO, Tiny Toons was pretty consistently good but their other comedy shows after that were hit and miss (especially Animaniacs. The Warners were great and so were Pinky and The Brain but everything else on that show had about 1 good episode in every 3. And what was that candle thing?). I'm seriously looking forward to revisiting it next year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2007, 8:20 pm

By candle thing, do you mean The Flame? Man, I love his shorts! The whole premise is, he was always present during hystorical events. One of my favorite eppy's, was the midnight ride of Paul Revere. (Not the actual title, but that's what it was about)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 30th, 2008, 1:57 am

Tiny Toon Adventures is no longer (rumor) .. it's in stores today! :D

I've had it playing on my desk most of the evening. My 'taped-off-the-air' cassettes from 15+ years ago (at least, the ones containing the first 35 episodes) can finally be retired!

Major, major thanks to Warner Bros for finally 'ditching' their frustrating 'disc-on-disc' package arrangement (the cause of many a scratched disc) in favor of a two-'page' standard-width keepcase that isolates each disc from the others; it's very similar to the keepcases I use for my 'custom-made' hobbyist packaging.

The cover artwork is still hideously garish (though, not nearly so bad as the overly-airbrushed Looney Tunes Golden Collection or Animaniacs package art) .. but as I often say, it's having the cartoons that's important. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Oh, thank goodness the casing was ditched! It's not major gripe, but I don't like being ultra careful not to scratch the disc's. Yay! Can you comment on the quality, Droo?

I'll have to pick this up soon... and yes, I took the 'rumor' part off the title thread. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 30th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Can't wait to get this. Saw it today, but I can't afford it this week. Ah well, at least Amazon has it for a better price than walmart so I'll probably get it from there when I can spare the cash for it. Is anyone doing a review for the site?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Yep, Ben will, if it arrived. (Freakazoid came in.)

BTW, here is an awesome tribute to Tiny Toon Adventures. Quite possibly everything you would want to know.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 30th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Daniel wrote:Can you comment on the quality, Droo?
The shows look pretty nice! Not super-'pristine', or anything .. but at least, I haven't seen any of the DVNR or 'artifacting' that has plagued a few of the H-B DVD sets ..

And it's great fun to watch 'em again. :)

I was in college when this show began airing .. and I was a fan from the very start! Art Leonardi (one of the directors) paid a visit to my animation history class, and showed us a 'sneak peek' of his segments for How I Spent My Vacation (basically the whole Buster & Babs watergun fight/river trip) .. which was one of those pivotal moments in my young life that made me seriously say to myself, "I really want to work on animated cartoons for a living!" (though, looking back on it .. I had already been heading that direction for awhile).

The early-1990's were a very optimistic period for 'fun' TV cartoons .. shows like Tiny Toon Adventures, Ren & Stimpy, and 2 Stupid Dogs were 'throwbacks' to earlier short-form toons, while simultaneously feeling 'fresh' & inventive when compared to the stale 30-minute 'toy commercials' which TV animation had devolved into before that time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2008, 9:40 pm

That's a relief. Thanks. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

Yes, Tiny Toons came in and is on the way to me.

Obviously we're still catching up after the Con, but I'll put my words up ASAP. In the short term though, I haven't heard anything that should put anyone off picking this collection up!