Re: New Spectacular Spider-Man Series

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2008, 10:32 am

Anyone saw it yesterday? :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2008, 4:58 pm

No, I forgot all about it. :(

I'm not gonna miss it again next week, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 10th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Oh,okay :D.
I"m seeing episodes on YouTube,it reminds me of Ultimate Spider-Man (from what i saw in the video game,anyway) but.. something about their eyes... they seems to be smiling all the time (even Norman Osborn when Vulture grabs him),werid :? and where's Mary Jane? who are all those girls is dating with? :?.
"Dude,you're the bossiest damsel in distress i"ve ever rescued" XDDDD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 10th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Just saw the first episode. The writing is great, the acting is good, the theme song is catchy and oh my god the animation is mind-blowing, total hardcore eye candy! Can't wait to see more.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » March 16th, 2008, 10:21 am

Man, this series has just surpassed my expectations!

I didn't get my expectations too high though because I didn't want to get my hopes up but.....WOW.

Is this thing animated in Korea? No offence to Korean animation studios, but I get the feeling the answer is 'no' - the animation looks way too good and fluidic for that.

Damn - Spider-man's fight with the Enforcers was mindblowing - the fluidity of the animation and the choreography of the fight is made of win.

THe writing IS indeed fantastic. I was awed at how they managed to introduce so many characters in such a seamless fashion in the first episode. No 'origin' story - it's all worked into the episode, looking like they're going to build on it with each new episode.

Right from the start, they set down the fun, lighthearted tone of the series.

Combined with fantastic animation, this show looks like a definite winner. This is the stuff that saturday morning cartoons are made of. I hope it'll sate my thirst for good TV animation once Avatar ends :(.

The second episode was great fun, too - I love how they've already laid down quite a few threads that are going to get picked up in the next episode, and beyond. This series oozes with production value and planning.

Why couldn't Transformers Animated have this quality?

Spectacular Spider-man really IS. :]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 2nd, 2008, 6:22 am

When there"ll be a new season?.
I like the series but I think it's just too busy.
The first one with the symbiote for example (I think it's called Persona) has Black Cat,the symbiote and the Chameleon,isn't that too much for one episode?.
I think they"re trying to make this show for Spidey fans who already know all the villains and characters,it doesn't introduce any villain or character or re-tell the characters and events like the Ultimate comics and the films,it's like they think that people already knows them so there's no need to introduce them but I think they should.
How about an episode with one villains? I think there's enough time to show everything.
I also thought they don't show Spidey too much but mostly Peter and I don't think he acting like Spider-Man exept in the episode with Venom when he thought who Venom can attack and realize it's Mary Jane.
I think that the best epsiode was the one with Venom

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 2nd, 2008, 12:57 pm

I can't remember when the first dvd comes out, but the plan is to edit each 3-episode arc into a "movie" and release it that way. Apparently they designed the show with that type of release in mind, although Greg Weisman has said a complete season release with the individual episodes is possible down the line. Thought I should mention that to those interested.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm

Here you go, eddy. The release date is September 9th.

As for when the new season begins, if it is on hiatus, probably next month.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 2nd, 2008, 11:53 pm

Thanks, Dan. I'll put that one on my calendar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 21st, 2008, 11:30 am

Got the first dvd (Attack of the Lizard) on friday. Here's a review (with minor spoilers): Having been blown away by the first episode, I went in with high expectations and I'm pleased to say I wasn't disappointed. As a package feature (to revive an old term), it works remarkably well, much better than Disney's similar effort Tarzan & Jane (which struggled to link the episodes contained therein). You can easily tell where one episode stops and the next begins, but it flows very naturally, indicating that this is indeed what was intended all along.

The cellphone gag was pulled off well, timed perfectly to get a laugh and it was refreshing to see an Aunt May that worried about Peter without smothering him. The way it ended, with Brock and Gwen mad at Peter and a post-credits tag hinting at The Shocker, makes me eager to see the next "movie" to see how it all turns out. I'm a big fan of serial storytelling and this show is an excellent example of how to do it properly (and the upcoming X-Men series promises to be a good time too).

The animation is astounding and I think this may be the closest any American cartoon has ever come to rivaling the best of anime in that regard. In a decade when, let's face it, most TV cartoons haven't been very good, this is one show that lives up to its title. Highly recommended, especially for Spidey fans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2008, 7:55 pm

eddievalient wrote:this is one show that lives up to its title.
Nice. I admit what I saw of the show wasn't half bad, but I just kept forgetting or what have of you. The writing and everything is great, I just don't care much for the look. The eyes, particularly. I know, I know, but I can't help it. ;)

Cool that you got the DVD, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 25th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Their eyes are weird.
And does anyone else think that this series is too busy?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Pnoxxion » October 10th, 2008, 1:53 am

I was a bit leery of this series at first--most of the cartoons based on Comics and such don't exactly live up to the hype. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when I first watched this show (Attack of the Lizard was the first one I watched). An excellent series, even if half the characters look like they have Down Syndrome (according to my bro, anyway).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 10th, 2008, 2:15 am

It's a much better series than any of the Spider-Man shows since the 1960s and a LOT better than anything that's been done with the X-Men and other Marvel characters in animation to be sure!

Definitive, I dunno. It's somebody else's version of Spider-Man and definitely not following the comics beat-for-beat all over the place. I guess that's to be expected since most people have never read the original Spider-Man comics. At least the moral center of Spider-Man/Peter Parker is there and the melodrama is being kept to a reasonable level. Melodrama is usually what kills the Marvel shows for me in addition to bad writing and low-budget animation.

Still, the animation is definitely leaps-and-bounds above all the other Spider-Man shows outside of the Raimi movies and lot better than anything else Marvel has produced to date in animation.

Is it as good as the WB/DC animated shows? Depends on which ones you're talking about. Definitely not as good as Batman ('92-'95, '97-'99) or Justice League (1999-2005), but probably at least as good as Superman ('96-'00) and Batman Beyond and definitely better than Teen Titans, Zeta Project, Static Shock, The Batman, and Legion of Super-Heroes.

I'd say that's a fairly good showing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 12th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Finally made it a point to DVR two episodes and sat down to watch them this morning...HOLY COW! I honestly wasn't expecting much of anything and i was really impressed!

I've always been a DC guy and haven't read much Marvel, but i'm a fan of the Raimi movies and i have a good friend who's filled me in on lots of the Spidey-lore, so based on that i'm pleased.

The look of the show is the only thing holding me back a bit, but only a bit.

The voice of Spidey/Parker is very reminiscent of the 90s show (which has always held a special place in my heart for the best Peter Parker in movies or animation). The writing is excellent as well and the action sequences have impressed me beyond what i've seen in action 'toons.

The two eps. i saw were "Group Therapy" with the Sinister 6 and then (can't remember the title) the separation of Spidey and the symbiote/creation of Venom. I agree with eddidvalient about how seemless these eps. flow together...quite awesome indeed!

Looking forward to more...