Wolverine and the X-Men

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Wolverine and the X-Men

Post by eddievalient » February 10th, 2008, 4:20 pm

In case you hadn't heard, there's a new X-Men series coming this year. They haven't announced an airdate or channel yet, but they have released the trailer:

I thought the 90's series had a darker edge to it, but this looks like it goes way further. It'll be interesting to see where the storyline goes, especially since the show is being made by the same team that produced X-Men Evolution (a series I initially skipped and then ravenously devoured after seeing a couple of episodes randomly).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Wolverine and the X-Men

Post by EricJ » February 10th, 2008, 6:03 pm

eddievalient wrote:I thought the 90's series had a darker edge to it, but this looks like it goes way further. It'll be interesting to see where the storyline goes, especially since the show is being made by the same team that produced X-Men Evolution (a series I initially skipped and then ravenously devoured after seeing a couple of episodes randomly).
Actually, the only reason we got "Evolution" was that Fox had slapped a contractual clause on Marvel Productions not to create any spinoff TV series while the X-Men movie trilogy was still in production. (So as not to sink the sequels prematurely, as the Ghostbusters and Men in Black cartoons had.)
Which also accounts for that "Mutant X" series that everyone thought was "somebody else's" ripoff...Didn't know that was Marvel's, didja?

Apparently, since the "X-Men Origins" Wolverine and Magneto movies are just to clean up old salary-backup script ideas (in case they couldn't afford to make X3), they don't have as much shelf-life worry.
And yeah, the 90's series was cooler. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » February 11th, 2008, 11:24 am

I grew up on the 90's series, but despite that, I think I prefer Evolution :].

Man, I just have such a huge weakness for Kitty :P. She completely made X-Men Evolution for me :]. Heck, I just like the character designs for all the women :P.

Wolverine and the X-men....dunno about this - it's very similar to Evolution's style, and I believe I heard somewhere that it's by the Evolution guys, so that'd explain why the background art especially can fit right into that series.

Both the 90s series and Evolution had Professor Xavier leading them...I think that having Wolverine lead the team's an interesting twist, though.

Wolverine's design itself is pretty good - with a slightly different hairstyle and less sideburns, it'd be PERFECT for the Punisher. Man, I wish he had his own cartoon series, but then kids wouldn't be able to watch it :P.

That said, something about the animation irks me. The action doesn't look as good as I would have expected, and I couldn't help but noticed that in that shot with those soldiers marching up those stairs - it didn't look as efficient as it should =/.

I really miss the eyebrows in Evolution - one of my favourite things about the character designs :P.

And I find Rogue's transparent white hair to be extremely irritating :P.

I'll still be watching it though just because it's X-men wheeeeee :P.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 11th, 2008, 1:27 pm

GRUNT wrote:Both the 90s series and Evolution had Professor Xavier leading them...I think that having Wolverine lead the team's an interesting twist, though.
Haven't been following current comic storylines, but the Xavier-attack concept bears an awful darn resemblance to the alternate-history "Age of Apocalypse" story arc from the 90's--
Right down down to the loyalty-shifting and Cyclops turning grungy-antihero.

Again, looks like Fox's contract clause is still in place, although they're still trying to promote Angel in connection with the third movie...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 11th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I love, love, loved the 90s show, but I never bothered with Evolution...it could have been good, it just kind of passed me by. I've heard mixed things about it, however. :?

One interesting thing about the new version mentioned above is that Cyclops' voice actor sounds exactly like the 90s guy....could it be the same actor?

The 90s show was great 'cause the number one priority was great storytelling....they were REALLY good about not getting too preachy or heavy-handed....from what I've heard about Evolution and what I saw from the above trailer, that hasn't been the case every time.

It just seems to be, I don't know, trying too hard to be "kewl" and make the X-Men all bada** (I guess Wolverine leading them establishes that) but....it just seems forced to me. I don't mean to be overly-critical, but X-Men has gotten so overly exposed in the past few years that early attempts to "please fans" back when Singer did the first adaptation seem to have gone right out the window in favor of "MTV"-izing the concept. (Particularly with Rattner's film.) Now they're younger, have ton of unnecessary "angst" (there was ENOUGH angst over identity the comic book, you really don't need to add more) and oh yeah, they look really cool fighting.

The X-Men were great originally because, despite being persecuted and hated and feared and all that, they were still a TEAM who cared about protecting humanity, who were a fighting for a common goal. THAT'S why people love X-Men, (at least I think so :wink:) not because they're all broody loners. They're not. Wolverine is, but that's Wolverine. X-Men is Stan Lee, not Frank Miller.

Haven't been following current comic storylines, but the Xavier-attack concept bears an awful darn resemblance to the alternate-history "Age of Apocalypse" story arc from the 90's--
Right down down to the loyalty-shifting and Cyclops turning grungy-antihero.
Ahh, Age of Apocolypse! :) So cool to hear someone else mention that storyline. :wink:
Loved Cyclops as all ruthless and grungy--although I always wished he'd actually been EVIL in this reality (having him turn good was just too predictable, IMHO) That would have been a lot more thought-provoking.

Also, don't know if anyone remembers it but the 90s cartoon actually did their own Age of Apocolypse story--more or less resembled the comic, but changed a lot of things too. For one thing--no Legion. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Wolverine and the X-Men

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 12th, 2008, 6:08 am

Can't wait for the series :D sounds great :D but... why Wolverine and them? they're making him sounds like he's more importent then the others :?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » February 12th, 2008, 7:09 am

From what the previews seem to indicate, it seems that Professor Xavier vanishes (I doubt he died in that explosion), and after that, the X-me broke down. Now Wolverine's trying to rally everyone together again, and he's leading :].

Also, despite his leadership and authority, he probably still figures himself to be a loner :P.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 12th, 2008, 3:17 pm

GRUNT wrote:From what the previews seem to indicate, it seems that Professor Xavier vanishes (I doubt he died in that explosion), and after that, the X-me broke down. Now Wolverine's trying to rally everyone together again, and he's leading :].

Also, despite his leadership and authority, he probably still figures himself to be a loner :P.
And because they wanted to keep Magneto and Mystique as villains (for the movie tie-in marketing), whereas both had been the "good" leaders of the AoA story-arc team.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 13th, 2008, 7:33 am

Oh,but that doesn't fit his character and how he's a loner.
The show looks good,but I think that X-Men Evolution is the best X-Men animated series so far.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]