George of the Jungle just out on DVD

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

George of the Jungle just out on DVD

Post by quisp » February 15th, 2008, 3:11 am

Loved that short-lived Jay Ward series. My late father, Duane Crowther, animated a few Tom Slick episodes as a freelancer. I am a bit surprised that this site has not announced this yet. (unless I just missed it).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 15th, 2008, 4:26 am

Hi and welcome, quisp! :)

Nope, surprisingly! At least not in the Forums, pretty sure it was announced on the front page.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Jay Ward's George of the Jungle too! Got the DVD on release week and have been enjoying my stroll down memory lane. Such a good little gem.

And it's such a relief to be re-experiencing the real version, after watching the debute of the updated version on CN. -- It is quite frankly, horrible. Voice acting, animation, character designs... Not a show I would label 'faithful'. I shudder to think what they'll do to Magoo... providing the rumors are true.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 15th, 2008, 11:50 pm

I've got George on order at Amazon--- unfortunately, no review copy was available, so for now I'm focusing on what I do have to review (Turok and Bravestarr!). I've never seen George before, but can't wait to check it out. I always loved Rocky and Bullwinkle. (I wonder if we'll ever see the last couple of seasons of that show on DVD?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2008, 3:06 am

I hope we do, having only the first 3 seasons is so disheartening. :( From what I can tell, those recent "Best of" Volumes include all new material to DVD, so a guess - they might continue doing this until the rest of the series is released.

Whenever you do get George, Rand, I hope you enjoy it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 18th, 2008, 2:54 am

I snagged this on Friday night, and have been enjoying it all weekend. :) I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed all three segments of this show as a kid (George of the Jungle, Tom Slick, and Super Chicken). But it sure is weird to see them without toy & cereal commercials in-between! :lol:

My only real complaint is that the disc starts-off with an advertisement for Cartoon Network's 'new' (non-improved) George of the Jungle TV series, before even advancing to the main menu screen; that seemed kind of 'crass'. :?

But otherwise; fun, fun, fun! :D

As I've mentioned in a few other threads about 1960's/70's animated series on DVD .. it's hard to believe there were only ever 17 episodes! Though, with three segments per-show .. it does actually make it seem like there are more GotJ episodes than that.

----------------

And, count me as yet another person hoping to see the season boxed sets of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends continue ..