The Flintstones - The Complete Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Man Called Flintstone DID make it to R1...but at the last minute was distributed only in Canada, possibly because Columbia's rights on the film were not up yet in the US.

But the disc is clearly not a "Canandian exclusive", being a regular R1 disc from WB. It's out in a very nice open matte transfer and available at Amazon.ca for a reasonable cost - it's how I got mine!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 28th, 2008, 10:50 pm

The film WAS released on DVD in Region 1, but only in Canada. I have a review of it, which I *thought* I had posted, but apparently it's not on Animated Views yet. I'll have to post the review sometime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 29th, 2008, 12:31 am

That's what probably got me confused originally. Well, hopefully an agreement is reached and this turns up on DVD (again) eventually - whether it be included in the set or its own individual release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 11:33 am

Regarding the packaging .. one of my (pointless) hobbies is 'repackaging' my DVD collection, in order to conserve shelf space .. which often gives me the opportunity to use 'better' (or at least, IMO, more 'appropriate') cover art.

For The Flintstones, this is what I came up with:

I kept the main styling of the 'Hanna Barbera Golden Collection' (because I quite liked it), but I wasn't terribly crazy about the 'airbrushed' CP artwork used for the covers, so I replaced those with reproductions of the 'limited edition' Flintstones sericels produced for the Warner Bros. Stores in the 1980's and 90's. On the back covers is an episode/special features listing for each of the four discs in a given set, along with a few screencaps from 'notewothy' episodes.

Each keepcase is the size of a standard single 'Amaray' keepcase, but holds 4 discs apiece (one within each side of the outer shell, and two on either side of a hinged central 'page'). This allows me to store all 24 discs of The Flintstones collection in the space of 6 normal-sized DVD cases, without the very frustrating 'disc-on-disc' storage arrangement found in the later H-B DVD sets (I get these from Effectuality.com .. they also carry keepcases which can store 5-10 DVD's within a 1-inch thickness).

I used the same 'Hanna-Barbera Golden Collection' styling for The Man Called Flintstone -- even though it wasn't part of that series -- mostly to keep it consistent with the TV series' packaging. However, it's in a slim 'thinpak' keepcase, which is about half the thickness of an 'Amaray' case.

Here's what the artwork by itself looks like:

Sorry to shrink them so much, but I don't think it 'safe' to post them in a 'reproducible' size. There used to be several websites which collected 'amateur/fan-created' DVD packaging for people to download and print .. but the home-video industry did a pretty thorough job of squashing those sites with 'cease-and-desist' copyright infringement suits. Doesn't stop me from creating them for my own personal use, though. :twisted:
Last edited by droosan on July 1st, 2008, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 1st, 2008, 3:36 pm

I'm not sure if it's just me, but all I see are little squares with an "x" in them. I even tried quoting your message to try the actual link, but nothing? It sure sounds cool.

BTW, here's a little close up of the complete series set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm

It wasn't just you, Daniel; the 'cheapie' image host I'd placed those pics on this morning had 'choked', for some reason .. so, I've re-hosted them on my own FTP server; you should be able to see them now! :oops: :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 1st, 2008, 6:27 pm

Wow! I'm impressed, droosan! How long does it take you to make one season's artwork?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm

Yes, I do... OMG Droo, that's simply ravishing! I love, love how you did the sets. The font, the fact that you can see the number more easily and the "HB" on the spine instead Warner - very fitting! :) I also like the cover arts you chose.

Hey, how come season 2 doesn't display any pics? Do you still have the original packaging? I'm thinking yes, since they're unique.

Can't say I'm not a little jealous. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 1st, 2008, 7:04 pm

The initial .psd template took perhaps 5 or 6 hours. Customizing the template for each season takes about an hour apiece (most of which is spent typing the episode titles and bonus features). I've also used this same template for other H-B sets (The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, etc), so I've gotten much more 'mileage' out of it than just the six Flintstones sets.

The front cover art for these sets was scanned from art books such as The Art of Hanna Barbera by Ted Sennet, Hanna-Barbera Cartoons by Ted Mallory, and The Flintstones: A Modern Stone-age Phenomenon by T.R. Adams.

The back cover of Season 2 doesn't feature any screenshots, because the 'bonus features' on that set were so extensive! They'd packed that set fuller than the others, for some reason.

As for the 'original' commercial packaging .. for the H-B sets, yes, I keep the complete original package ... but for most movies and shows which are packed in standard 'Amaray' cases, I keep only the paper cover sleeve .. the cases I set aside and give away (mostly to my old bosses at Rhythm & Hues, who use them to package their demo-reel DVD's). As for the original cover sleeve-art (and other original packaging), I basically toss them into a plastic bin which I keep in storage.

The main reason I do this, as I said, is to conserve 'shelf space' as much as possible .. since this is what I have to deal with:

.. and this picture is several months old, now :!:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2008, 5:55 am

Wow...thems are really nice shelving units, especially the snug-fit LDs.

I have fairly similar, but they're a bit taller than the LDs, which means only four shelves to your five.

It never fails to amaze me how similar movie collections are between "geeks"...whenever I see other peoples' collections it always seems we all arrange things the same way!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 8th, 2008, 12:25 am

Release date and pricing for The Flintstones! Seems more than fair. Although...
TV Shows on DVD wrote:"Special Limited Edition - While Supplies Last!"
Didn't see that coming. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2008, 7:46 am

Gawd I have no need but am so seriously tempted by this...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 16th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Amazon (A-V link! :P) now has it up for pre-order at only $90! Mighty tempting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2008, 5:38 pm

MIGHTY tempting, lad...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 16th, 2008, 10:11 pm

$90?!!

Oh, man, that's a sweet deal. But I have all of them already. (Should've been patient!)