Speed Racer: Complete Series coming soon...

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 15th, 2008, 12:57 am

This is awesome. I absolutely loved the Speed Racer movie and at $50, the dvd of the show is very affordable (especially considering that I could get it for less at Amazon or Deep Discount).

I will never in my life understand why the movie failed as badly as it did. The acting was pretty good, the story was engaging, the tongue-in-cheek humor was funny, the music was appropriately energetic, the visual effects were mind-blowing. All the elements seemed to be there, so why didn't people respond? I'm gonna be shouting from the rooftops what a wonderful film Speed is (and as a bonafide film scholar, I feel qualified to judge), but because it's in the books as a bomb, no one's gonna listen! Arrgh!

Thanks for the heads up, George!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 15th, 2008, 1:39 am

Finally, a reason to collect the show on DVD. The package is still gimmicky, but at least it's just one package now.

I haven't been able to see any summer films yet, but look forward to catching SR either at the cheap theater or on Blu-ray.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 15th, 2008, 11:11 am

If you can manage it, definitely see SR on the big screen. It's worth finding the time for it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2008, 8:49 am

I would even back that up Rand. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 16th, 2008, 3:18 pm

I have no interest in the show, but that boxset is sweet!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2008, 5:43 pm

MIGHTY tempted, lad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 16th, 2008, 11:45 pm

So am I and I think I'm gonna give in on this one since I never got any of the single discs. Remember, dvdpricesearch.com is your friend.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 8th, 2008, 8:25 am

Saw the full Speed Racer series collection when I picked up Sleeping Beauty the other day.

Me wants this!

P.S. -- It also has an extra or two that are not available in the regular single releases. One of these, unfortunately, is the lousy Next Generation Speed Racer series premiere episode. The American-originated versions of these shows have never done well! (Aside from the dub of the first series, that is...)

There was also a new Munsters DVD released that, as far as I know, is the only new thing added to the Complete Munsters Collection being released fairly soon. It's basically colorized version of an episode or something like that. Now, since I already have The Munsters: Season One already...!

Bunch of older shows are being re-released this year as "full series sets." Makes me wonder if this is a last big push to get out as much on DVD and make money on standard-def before the inevitable transition to hi-def/Blu-Ray?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 8th, 2008, 8:37 am

Funny; I bought a 5-disc DVD boxed set of the complete Speed Racer TV series back in 2001. It was an official release by Speed Racer Enterprises (the rights-holders of the american version of the show). It must have been a very limited edition, since I've not seen it for sale anywhere since then.

Very cool that it has finally been released again .. though, I agree that the 'Mach 5' package is a little too 'gimmicky'.

------------

On a similar note; I saw that The Simpsons: The Eleventh Season was also released this week -- but it seems to only be available in a 'Krusty the Clown head' package; I didn't see an optional 'traditional' box, as has been the case with the last several volumes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Nope, there is an optional box available. :)

I'll wait for it to be sale, since I don't rather care for season 11.