Fear Itself

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Fear Itself

Post by Josh » June 29th, 2008, 12:51 am

Has anyone else here seen Fear Itself on NBC? I've only seen one episode. However, the one I saw was great: "The Family Man." You can catch the series' full episodes here.

Having seen only one episode of Fear Itself, it's hard for me to compare it to Twilight Zone, Tales from the Darkside or Night Visions. One thing Fear Itself lacks that I admire about Zone and Visions is a host who knows just exactly what to say to cement an episode's theme or moral into one's memory.

Still, if the other episodes of Fear Itself are as good as the one I saw, then I definitely need to catch more of the show.
Last edited by Josh on July 30th, 2008, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 29th, 2008, 2:20 am

Josh wrote:Having seen only one episode of Fear Itself, it's hard for me to compare it to Twilight Zone, Tales from the Darkside or Night Visions. One thing Fear Itself lacks that I admire about Zone and Visions is a host who knows just exactly what to say to cement an episode's theme or moral into one's memory. .
Despite the fact that you just compared TZ to "Tales of the Darkside" in the face of a Zone fan (lesser men have died for that :evil: )...
Too many 'Boomers who still judge Rod Serling'sTZ to Weird Anthology Of the Week, "Fear" included, just because it's got, like, really neat twist endings need to take a closer look at the original Zone with script ears open--Rod was a Beethoven of Emmy scripting.

Even if you think you can see the, quote-fingers, "twist" ending of "The Obsolete Man" or "Monsters are Due on Maple Street" coming from almost the opening minutes, you'll still remember the trip getting there...
The social lecturing plays as well in the pre-Obama 00's as it did in the post-McCarthy 50's, and I guarantee you'll want to punch the next idiot who makes lame pop-culture jokes about "dropping glasses".

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 29th, 2008, 9:33 am

EricJ wrote:Despite the fact that you just compared TZ to "Tales of the Darkside" in the face of a Zone fan (lesser men have died for that :evil: )...
Too many 'Boomers who still judge Rod Serling'sTZ to Weird Anthology Of the Week, "Fear" included, just because it's got, like, really neat twist endings need to take a closer look at the original Zone with script ears open--Rod was a Beethoven of Emmy scripting.
Among the 'Anthology Of the Week' shows, Twilight Zone is in a class all by itself. I doubt we'll ever get another anthology show that matches the level of Serling's classic.

I was just saying that Fear Itself is similar in nature to Zone and Darkside. I wasn't implying at all that Fear or Darkside are as good as Zone.