Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 14th, 2008, 9:48 am

Question: How do you maintain interest in a story people already know the ending to?

Answer: By putting an emphasis on making the characters likeable and compelling.

I just finished catching up on youtube (having missed the premiere) and I must say, as a Star Wars geek, I'm impressed. Everything I liked about the pilot film is retained in the show and, despite the seeming redundancy of doing this series in the first place, they manage to keep things fresh and exciting. The show is fun, at least for me, because they give us characters we can root for. They even manage to give the clones a fair amount of personality, which I can imagine is no easy feat. As the series continues, I hope we'll gain some insight into the jedi we know little about (some Mace Windu episodes would be cool).

My verdict: So far, so good. However, it remains to be seen whether they can keep a consistent level of quality over the course of 100 episodes (which Lucas says he's doing whether they air on tv or not).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 14th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I saw Star Wars Episode I when I was a lot younger - I would have been 9 at the time so I don't much remember it. However, at a Goodwill store about a year ago they had the original 3 movies on really old VHS's so I picked them up and my dad and I watched them.

They were pretty good.

And even without being an enthusiast or aficionado, I can tell this Clone Wars show is a lot more silly.

However, something about the Thunderbirds puppet style animation is kind of striking to me - I think it looks cool, almost stylistic!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 3rd, 2009, 4:06 pm

Caught last night's Season Premiere. Pretty cool stuff, but it seems *much* more intense than Season 1 so far.

The deaths seem more violent, and the storyline's seem more serious overall. While I appreciate the darker tone, I hope that the series doesn't lose track of its "fun" aspect. That's one of the reasons the show's been so great.

Also, it seems as though Ashoka's "evolving" as a character. She's not wisecracking as much, and she seems to be becoming a more "serious" character. Which is all fine and dandy, but she's beating the villains in combat a bit too easily. She's not supposed to be as fully accomplished as some of the other Jedi.

Having said all that, the first two episodes still rocked. Cad Bane is a VERY good villain. He comes across as geuninely dangerous, and he has a sort of SW bad guy coolness about him. He's definately one of the best characters that the series has come up with so far.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 3rd, 2009, 5:10 pm

I still unofficially consider "Season 1" to be the freakish short-form Genndy Tartakovsky CN thing that didn't know what tone it wanted to aim for (was it serious or retro-kitsch, or, like Samurai Jack, had Tartakovsky lost the ability to tell the difference anymore?)--
And on that level, yes, the current version IS one darn good improvement, in that it delivers what fans actually want. :)

Like Justice League was once the only hard-action reason for watching a CN full of Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab, SW:CW is now the only reason for watching a current CN full of Chowder and Flapjack.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 10th, 2009, 9:14 am

EricJ wrote:SW:CW is now the only reason for watching a current CN full of Chowder and Flapjack.
Agreed. I haven't watched any of season 2 yet due to the fact that I missed about half of season 1 and I'm waiting for the dvd to come out (November 3rd, mark your calender folks).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Having said all that, the first two episodes still rocked. Cad Bane is a VERY good villain. He comes across as geuninely dangerous, and he has a sort of SW bad guy coolness about him. He's definately one of the best characters that the series has come up with so far.
Also, the "Bounty hunter" storyline means that the non-book canon can now after ten years finally figure out something to do with Aurra Sing (who Lucasfilm's been trying to market ever since her one-second cameo in "Phantom Menace") even as just a supporting character:
Seems like a good "bad" character on paper, and they've had a character wandering around Disney World's Star Wars Weekends for years, just that the majority of movie-only fans haven't the faintest clue who she was supposed to be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Clone Wars CGI series -- an opinion

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 8:40 am

Good episode last night. Darn schedule will kill me yet. I wish they would stop airing episodes 1 week and then wait 4 weeks before airing another one.

I was surprised they killed off
Onocando Farr
. Lord. :shock:

Good job by Tom Kenny last night for his main role and cameo as the Rodian Senator. Can't wait for next week's episode Cat and Mouse.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Has anyone heard anything about a season three yet? I keep looking for information regarding it but have yet to find anything.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 8:48 am

Wasn't The Cologne Wars supposed to be a series of finite length? Didn't Lucas commission a typical 65 episode arc for syndication? Not sure how many shows have aired or how many are left to go, but it struck me that it might be the series was destined just for two seasons, leading into the live-action program...?

Then again, all seems to have gone quiet on that front, so maybe they'll "fill time" and order up another season of TCW to plug the gap?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 22nd, 2010, 1:24 pm

Yes, the new season of "The Cologne Wars" takes place on a planet that's like an alternate Earth.

The French on that planet surrender, too, and stay enslaved until a Jedi armada frees them....

They remain a part of the Republic for a few years until the Empire comes along and reconquers them...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 22nd, 2010, 4:18 pm

Bravo, George! Bravo!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 22nd, 2010, 7:27 pm

Couldn't help myself... :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Post by Dan » January 20th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Seeing the video preview on the Entertainment Weekly link provided on the front page, I am STOKED for the upcoming story arc with Neeson reprising Qui-Gon.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 20th, 2011, 11:18 pm

It's defintely exciting news for fans! I for one was very dissapointed when Qui-Gon didn't show up in "Episode III" (as was reported by an endless number of sources), so it's going to be very nice to see him appear on the show. :)