Shrek The Halls

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 29th, 2007, 4:07 pm

I've received a couple emails asking about repeats (or obtaining a copy off the internet - remember that is an off limits topic for this forum). It looks like ABC will rerun the special on Tuesday, December 11th at 8pm ET.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 29th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Yay Reruns, hopefully I'll remember to go watch it.... *thinks* Yay I don't have a class on Tuesday night either. Voot!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 29th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Voot?

See, ask and ye shall recieve! ;) Thanks for the notice, James.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » November 29th, 2007, 7:58 pm

No planned DVD release yet.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 30th, 2007, 1:47 pm

The special was alright. It had some VERY funny moments (mostly the ones involving Puss and Gingey), but it wasn't especially memorable.

The animation was GREAT for a TV special, though.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2007, 8:04 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I thought it was a very well-written review, Ben. Why in the world would they separate them through most of the film?? There was a lot of potential there that got squandered.

I just wish they'd stop, excuse the expression, pimping out this poor character. If they keep doing it no one will remember how awesome the first Shrek really was. (and I do think it was.)
Thanks Vi. Yes, time to stop on the old Shrek-wagon before the wheels really do fall off. Lots of squandered opportunities this third time around, and I agree that they really should have focused more on the babies/parents/becoming ruler thing. What the actual film was supposed to be about...it wasn't!

Jeroen wrote:Shrek The Halls was...well, really short and underwhelming.

And I have to say that I don't really understand the point of airing a Christmas special in November.

With all that said, Puss did have one really funny moment. :D
Although I haven't seen it, I'm not at all surprised. Trying to churn this out as well as making a feature movie? And working on it when the crew were, let's face it, not at their best in Shrek's world?

And a US "half-hour" is usually 21/22 minutes, which is essentially just an extended short, or "featurette" as we oldsters used to call them before the name got suckered over to describe a DVD bonus.

I'm guessing ABC may yet screen it again come nearer the right time. Big question, though, is how Jeroen, in La Belgique, saw this and can be commenting?

Wendy's Jane wrote:The special was alright.

The animation was GREAT for a TV special, though.
That's what comes, again, of coming off the back of a feature. I'd really love it if they could end things here. This is really full circle.

As it stand, things work well as a three-act play (with some extras)... In Shrek he comes out of his shell, in Shrek 2 there are relationship developments and core opposition is dealt with. By Shrek 3, family is extended, all is well and things look rosy for the future. There is no conflict left. The Christmas special acts like a very nice Coda, putting the lid on the story before it really grows out of control and becomes meaningless.

Like Vi says, we'll eventually forget what a great first (and second) film the original Shrek was.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm

Ben wrote:Yes, time to stop on the old Shrek-wagon before the wheels really do fall off. Lots of squandered opportunities this third time around, and I agree that they really should have focused more on the babies/parents/becoming ruler thing. What the actual film was supposed to be about...it wasn't!
Yeah, definetely. Also, remember the baby nightmare? In many ways, that felt like the most genuine, original and in some ways heartfelt moment in the movie. Everything else was kinda hollow. :(
(I also thinks it bites that they killed off the King!! How can you write JOHN CLEESE out of an animated movie! What were they thinking anyway? I guess maybe it was to make room for Eric Idle and all the other characters that were mostly not needed. :( )
Anyway, I'll always love Shrek 1 and 2, and a LITTLE bit of 3. Missed Halls but will probably catch it on a re-run. (I've been really behind in my DW viewing. :wink:)

Ben wrote:There is no conflict left.
Exactly. I really think that's why STT had so many problems. Shrek just wasn't ornery anymore....he was kind of like this "OK,I'll go find Arthur, defeat Charming....whatever." :wink: It just seemed like he went from crusty old Ogre to this "Yes, dear" kind of guy. (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not Shrek!! :P)

It would have been much more funny (and in-character) if Shrek had just decided to bail on the kingdom, Artie, Fiona, everyone....(maybe go back to his swamp and resume his old life) and then slowly discover that he was wrong. More challenging maybe....but MUCH more compelling and in character. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 2nd, 2007, 4:45 pm

Sorry Daniel.

The web site looked legit and that is the reason I posted it. I'll be sure not to do that again.
Last edited by CGIFanatic on December 2nd, 2007, 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 2nd, 2007, 5:49 pm

Maybe that's how Jeroen saw it! ;)

Yeah, its not allowed CGI. If it were a clip or something, then there would be no problem. I'm surprised you don't know, since James kind of made it clear a few posts above:
James wrote:I've received a couple emails asking about repeats (or obtaining a copy off the internet - remember that is an off limits topic for this forum). It looks like ABC will rerun the special on Tuesday, December 11th at 8pm ET.
If you don't mind, could remove the link? Please and thank you! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » December 4th, 2007, 12:28 am

so is Daniel right? because i found it another site but i don"t want to break the rules :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2007, 8:38 am

Yep, I'm afraid.

We have good ties to the Studios and don't see the need to endorse copyright infringement.

The Shrek 3D theme park film came out on its own, so the chances are good that Shrek The Halls will no doubt be made available on DVD via its own release or bundled in with a Shrek 3 2-disc reissue down the line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 27th, 2007, 2:19 pm

The Special was very good and really funny :D (espically with Puss,Donkey and the Gingerbread Man).
Also i didn't thought it was a good idea to show them as christain but... i understand that Shrek is also a parody on America (Far Far Away for example) so it's not like seeing Mulan or Jasmine celebrate Christmas.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 28th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Shrek played here Christmas Eve (much better timing!), Shrek 2 on Christmas Day and then the Christmas special again on Boxing Day.

I thought it was pretty good...nowhere near as good as the first or second films but more coherent than The Third and much closer to the original intentions of the characters.

It ran a shade around 20 minutes without commercials, and that's a pretty good length for an animated short that was up there at feature quality. It also packed a lot in but remained simple and focused. I noticed a lot of talent on there from The Third, so guessing this was basicially piggy backed onto the end of production from that film.

I thought Trousdale's direction was better than whoever directed Shrek 3, though it might have been because he really had something to get to grips with in the story department. It was a little too sentimental for me to be a true Shrekiverse outing, but maybe that's the point, that Shrek is becoming less cynical. They still are possibly taking away the bite that made Shrek so outrageous and therefore successful though.

In all, a good stab at getting Shrek back where he belongs (there was always a kind of Christmas feel about Shrek and maybe that's what was missing from The Third, which did feel more like an empty summer movie). I'm sure we'll see this on DVD next year, or before a new Shrek movie comes along.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 28th, 2007, 11:05 pm

I finally saw the Christmas special as well. My mother had taped it for me and we watched it together. It was well animated and enjoyable to watch but very fast paced. It had a wonderful idea, story but I feel like they crammed it into too small of a space to make all the jokes noticeable/ really stick. I did love the puss in boots segment. "I have shamed myself again." *laughs* It was overall enjoyable. Not a Christmas classic but still interesting enough to watch.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 3rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

Yay, a DVD release date has been revealed; 11/4/2008. Who didn't see that coming? ;)

So... one version all by itself, four versions with a plushie and finally ones packaged with different versions of Shrek The Third. Definitely in for one with a plushie, hopefully they are cute! Can't wait to see it again, since I enjoyed it the first time around. Would be cool if it was extended for the DVD. :idea: Other wishes: an audio commentary and I would love if they included The Madagascar Penguins in: A Christmas Caper! Yes, I know it would be double-dipping, but having them both together would be great.

(And your eyes don't lie, this thread was split from the STT thread, for anyone curious. :P)