Krypto the Super Dog

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Krypto the Superdog -- What were they thinking???

Post by GeorgeC » March 8th, 2005, 2:17 am

File this show under "What were they thinking?"

The official website is up at http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/krypto/

(I guess there wasn't enough time to ruin Superman in animation before the next live-action film like WB did for "THE Batman," so they went for the next best thing -- Superman's dog!)

Looks like the next Baby Looney Tunes to me. Maybe if it's half-good, it'll be a 1/4 Muppet Babies good... This one's definitely for VERY small kids.

Oh, and it has one of the worst theme songs I've heard in a while.

Ugh. It definitely sounds and feels seizure-inducing like an Olsen Twins movie.

I hate to agree with or even sound remotely like AA...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 8th, 2005, 3:16 am

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote at Animation Nation:

The show itself looks okay but that theme song is beyond banal. Something like, "He's Krypto, he's a dog, and he's super, and he's got super powers, and he's a super hero dog, and he's a dog that's a hero that has powers."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 10:30 am

That, my friends, is called walking the fine line between pure genius and insanity... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 8th, 2005, 12:20 pm

You might be right.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 4:43 pm

chexk this site out:

www.superdickery.com

click on the lois cover and check these out. it's hilarious! And all really printed!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 9th, 2005, 2:57 pm

Krypto?? They're doing a Krypto cartoon? How remarkably lame that is! Why on earth would anybody want to watch that? It just makes Superman seem campy and cornball. UGH! :roll:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 9th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Special_Ed wrote:chexk this site out:

www.superdickery.com

click on the lois cover and check these out. it's hilarious! And all really printed!!!
I've seen this before. Friggen excellent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2005, 5:01 pm

Oh well. Remember, there's always Bryan Singer's film. :wink:

Wasn't Krypto once part of the Legion of Justice or something? (I don't mean the Justice League....they weren't superheroes but from different planets or something....my memory fails me... :roll: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 11th, 2005, 4:13 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Oh well. Remember, there's always Bryan Singer's film. :wink:

Wasn't Krypto once part of the Legion of Justice or something? (I don't mean the Justice League....they weren't superheroes but from different planets or something....my memory fails me... :roll: )

Krypto was part of a "League of Super-Pets" that included Streaky the Super-Cat, Comet the Horse, and oh... I'd rather not go on.

Suffice it to say that I think Krypto should have been left in Crisis limbo along with the other really lame aspects of the Silver Age Superman mythos (1954-1985). As much as I appreciate the fact that DC Comics FINALLY brought Supergirl back in a form that most fans like (AFTER the Superman animated series did that SEVEN years ago), there are other things they should have left buried in the ground with dead Superman editors. :roll:

I don't really have much faith in the Singer Superman film or the new Batman Begins.

Singer is digging too much up from the old Donner Superman film and I really wish they would stay away from the Brando Jor-El footage. It just seems to me that there are no new ideas left and Singer has neither struck as being particularly knowledgeable with comics nor technically gifted as a director. He's either too by-the-numbers for my tastes with the way he approaches directing or ignorant of a lot of facts about these characters. The casting for the new movie also leaves me feeling cold. It goes without saying I HATED his X-Men movies. They were incredibly bland and drained of color.

The problem with Batman Begins lies with both the screenwriter and director. The screenwriter is widely regarded as a hack by many people and has never written anything that I would go see. The director, on the other hand, seems to be too enamored with James Bond and I'm afraid that's played too much into the Batman film by the things I've been hearing and seeing. You know that when the Batmobile looks like something you'd see at a Monster Truck Rally that there are problems in Gotham!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 12th, 2005, 6:14 am

Getting back to Krypto: The Animated Series, let me clarify a few things --

I DON'T like the idea of this show. I think better shows can be produced that don't insult kids' intelligence or pander to them. Believe me, the smarter kids out there won't like this show. Perhaps the average 3-5 year-old will like it because they DON'T know any better at that age, but I doubt many kids over 8 will care for it.

That said, I don't begrudge anybody making a living working on this show. The artists working on this show don't have control over it and given the state of the animation industry in the US, they kind of have to take the jobs that are available.

For all the decrying of "artists selling out" (that's Amid Amidi talking out his @ss and ignoring reality), the fact is that most artists A) do NOT want to be executives, B) have not had training or experience to LINE-PRODUCE shows, C) many don't have any better sense than a typical producer or executive over what makes a good show or what's a possible hit, and D) the way things are set up in show business, of course most artists at the bottom of the production chart!

Artists have gotta take and polish the turd jobs, too. Hopefully, the next job they get will be something more to their liking.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 12th, 2005, 11:59 am

Why is Krypto a bad idea from the get-go? Seems to me it could be bad or it could be good and that we'd have to wait until it comes out before we can actually decide which one it is . . . or if it is somewhere in the middle. All the anti-Krypto talk I've seen seems to be people thinking that every bit of animation out there needs to be like The Triplets of Belleville, you know, this artsy-fartsy avant-garde stuff that appeals to thirty and up jetsetters.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 12th, 2005, 3:46 pm

Oh,

I'm definitely NOT in the artsy-fartsy avant-garde camp. That stuff makes me puke about as much as the dumbed-down kids' animation.

I'm definitely of a mind that if producers are SERIOUS about kids' animation that they should AT LEAST shoot for Dr. Seuss' level of intelligence instead of Dick & Jane.

We get way too much Dick & Jane animation and not enough of the former.

The problem with the artsy-fartsy animation is that it ends being a bit too much like Fantasia (no plot) or Ren & Stimpy (solely focused on thing like grossing people out). You're basically getting animation just for the sake of animation and that gets boring to watch when there's no point to it.

By no point, I'm not saying it has to have a moral, but the characters ought to be doing more than just beating each other up or rehashing you'd see in a Spike & Mike festival.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2005, 4:50 pm

But Triplettes was brilliance. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 13th, 2005, 11:57 pm

Ben wrote:But Triplettes was brilliance. :)
Absolutely, Ben! It was brilliant!

My issue with Krypto is that it is a remarkably hokey character. A "super-dog" with powers like Superman? Will he have a cape, too, like in the old cartoons from the 60's? Hello, does anyone else find this insanely dumb? Do we think that children are that simple in this day and age? I know my kids aren't, and they would never be interested in watching it. It seems pointless to make this cartoon.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 14th, 2005, 2:13 am

I don't know if the show is going to be good or not but do all cartoons have to be serious? And how do we determine it's alright for one cartoon to be silly and hokey but not alright for another cartoon to be?