Warner's Saturday Morning Cartoons Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Warner's Saturday Morning Cartoons Collections

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2009, 3:58 pm

Here are the details.

Cute idea, though I don't think I'll be purchasing, at least that is how I feel right now. The novelty is great, even if its been done before on VHS. Or say DVD, such as the fine Award set. And the boasting of Volume 1 leads to the possibly that more volumes could follow... much better than being a definite one-off.

So many great cartoons, though as TSoD mentions, the majority are double-dips with only a handful of new to DVD - but hey, Quick Draw! Yes, he deserves his own set, but at least they're testing the waters. I bet Droo will still buy regardless! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2009, 6:23 pm

A half-decent "pot-luck" idea, but I don't like the mixing of classic WB with the HB stuff...could seem very jarring.

A dedicated HB set that acted as a sampler would be a very attractive proposition, though.

Some good memories there, but I think I'll pass and wait (hopefully) for full season sets of Charlie Chan and...<I>Tarzan</I>!? I didn't realise WB owned those cartoons. Probably explains why BCI never got around to releasing them. Here's fingers crossed that we definitely see that one sometime soon!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 23rd, 2009, 9:02 pm

I love the idea in principle, though what I'd really enjoy would be single-year discs with an even wider selection of studios present. Of course, rights issues prevent that.

I just may pick those up, though I regret seeing so many cartoons I already have on that list. However, I do appreciate seeing a few things that I don't have, and single cartoons are all I need for some shows (like The Funky Phantom).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AH3RD » January 24th, 2009, 9:39 am

The 3 New Tom & Jerry cartoons listed on Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1960's Volume 1 are from from the series premiere on September 6, 1975 of The New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show on ABC. Though they might serve more appropriately on the 1970s disc...

In either case, I'm settin' my DVD dials for a while! :D :) :o 8) :lol: :P :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 24th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Im so getting this when it comes to FYE or Newbury comics where I live.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 26th, 2009, 6:48 am

And even though we'll take Warner's word (ahem) that Quick Draw McGraw was in "unrescuable" condition to release as complete boxsets--
The titles seem to be a mix of previously released icons, and a few representative cult-camp titles thrown in for variety...And seeing QD put in the 60's mix alongisde Secret Squirrel, Atom Ant and Magilla Gorilla starts to raise old paranoia about whether Warner is STILL in 90's snotty Cartoon Network retro-kitsch mode about Blaming All the Evils of 60's/70 H-B on Baba Looie.

Either we're only get a piece of what could be restored, or there's an old grudge at Warner that's still infecting their system, which starts to taint credibility... >:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 26th, 2009, 11:05 am

I like the idea. I think that they will serve their purpose for those of us who don't want complete sets of all these cartoons. I'd like to own some of the cartoons on there for nostalgic purposes, but I don't think I could go for full boxed sets for all of them. It gives me the option of just buying a nice sampler of everything. That's more of what I would want with most of these anyways. Actually, it might actually help WB selling their season sets that have already been released. I'm sure they'll put trailers for those on the discs (if they don't they are lacking in foresight).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Tarzan (oh yes, Tarzan!), Chan and Secret Squirrel are all I need from this line-up. A fun idea, but still a little haphazardly chosen. I'd pick up box sets of those shows in a flash, though, and I think WB are well aware of the anticipation around a Tarzan set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 26th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Rodney wrote:Actually, it might actually help WB selling their season sets that have already been released. I'm sure they'll put trailers for those on the discs (if they don't they are lacking in foresight).
I'm old enough to remember Warner's first (and last) "Cartoon Crack-Ups"--
If there was anything that fired up fan momentum for respectably restored Flint/Jet/Quest HB boxsets, it was that lazy CN-era shot across the broadsides that Warner wanted to see if they could get away with.
(Still believing that "pop-kitsch" audiences didn't care about classic HB in the first place.)

Nowadays, we just accept that Warner will timidly try to sell us a "best-of" before getting their feet wet. We've learned to handle their idiosyncracies. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Here's the artwork for the two sets and a trailer is available to view as well. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's alright.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Nah, now I'm certainly passing. They didn't even change the box arrangements in the backgrounds to make them look different. Smells like cheap cash-ins...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 26th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Let's see: Quickdraw, Marine Boy, Chan Clan, Roman Holidays, and Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space ..?!

.. looks like a 'buy', for me (doggone it!) Though, fortunately, I have a birthday close to that release date. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Seems Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space has been confirmed as just the regular Josie show, Droo, but you seem too long gone, man! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 26th, 2009, 11:55 pm

EricJ wrote:I'm old enough to remember Warner's first (and last) "Cartoon Crack-Ups"--
Oh, I remember it too, and I was almost tempted to get it at the time. However, there were/are some HB classics that I actually wanted full season/volume sets for (Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby), but honestly there is a lot of others that I couldn't care less about. It might be a generational thing. If one grew up liking all these shows, maybe one might want to have them all, but speaking as someone who saw most of these only in passing, I would like to have a set like this as a reminder of what that era was about - more for nostalgia than anything else. Now if we were talking 80's animation (my era), this would be a different matter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » January 27th, 2009, 12:18 am

I am wanting to get the 70's set, because I like most of the cartoons featured on there, but don't want to go throught the trouble of buying all the sets seperately. Kind of like Rodney has previously said. :)