Wolverine & the X-Men

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Wolverine & the X-Men

Post by Rodney » January 27th, 2009, 3:57 pm

What do you guys think of the show? I really enjoyed it. I think it's been a nice break since X-Men: Evolution and this puts the story right back into gear without alienating new fans. Anyone out there seen this? It just got a DVD release date set for April 21st.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 27th, 2009, 9:52 pm

I saw a preview of it somewhere a while ago (online, I think), and thought it looked pretty good. I catch most stuff on DVD these days, so I might check out the disc when it's released.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 28th, 2009, 1:37 am

Saw it. Meh.

Typical Hollywood revisionism. I knew there were going to be problems when the title was announced as "Wolverine AND..."

Marvel editorial should have let Claremont kill Wolverine off like he originally intended to. He's just taken over the X-universe to the detriment of the other characters.

The other thing is that this really isn't the same character people knew from the comics, either. It's like his personality and Cyclops' have been swapped! Since when did Wolvie become Mr. Responsible??? It just doesn't fit with the classic personality. Nope, not buying it.

I'll say that the show has nicer production values than the last two X-Men series (the Fox series was an eyesore) did but as far as the storytelling is concerned it'd have to ramp up considerably. Team shows are notoriously difficult for people to write and the only one I've seen handled really well was Justice League a few years back.

I still don't understand WHY Nickelodeon is squirreling this show away on a sister network instead of broadcasting it on the regular Nick network that everybody gets across the country. Even for as much as I don't care for what I saw, it doesn't make sense to schedule in a black hole what they're hyping as a "big show" for them!

It certainly didn't make sense that Europe and Canada got to see the show earlier, either. It's never made sense to delay what are essentially American icons from the home audience. Licensing deals -- gotta love 'em!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 28th, 2009, 11:29 am

I think they very much held it back in the US because they wanted to build on the hype of the new movie that comes out in May. At least that's what I think.

You're right about Wolverine's personality, but one could also argue that Wolverine does get responsible when it is up to him to do something. I for one, will try to see where they take the show this season. It's all about the story arcs for me.

I agree with you on the show being on Nick Toons. I think they're trying hard to brand their sister network as the go-to place for their action cartoons. We'll see how the strategy works for them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 28th, 2009, 11:36 am

This show started? I should see an episode.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 28th, 2009, 7:15 pm

I love the show. I think the first two episodes are dynamite and provide a great setup. Plus Steven Blum is perfect as Wolverine. I think this show gives the original series a run for its money and puts Evolution to shame (and I'm a fan of both).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 12th, 2009, 1:36 pm

I have seen the first episode and it was really good,thought Wolverine being a leader is sorta out of his character but only that,I liked X-Men Evolution,the shows are much better the movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2009, 1:48 pm

I like that Wolverine is wearing his yellow outfit like in the Fox series. Kind of nostalgic.

No, I haven't seen it, I don't really like X-Men and didn't care much for either series. Never was a fan, though I did give it chances.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 12th, 2009, 1:55 pm

In X-Men Evoltion he's also wearing it but it orange there.