Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Post by ibrmacf » April 14th, 2010, 1:29 pm

I know this has nothing to do with animation, but I was just wondering if there are any Whose Line Is It Anyway fans on this site?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2010, 1:30 pm

I've been a fan since the UK show kick-started in the early 1980s. Many of the same guys that came back to the States when the US version began had come over to the UK to appear in the original series, so in a way the US version (which we also get here) is like a continuation of the original show, which ended soon after the US one began.

And it *is* animation related: many unsung heroes of the voice-over world (Ryan Stiles, Greg Proops, etc) have been regulars on both UK and US editions of Whose Line... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Whose Line Fans?

Post by ibrmacf » April 15th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops had done some voice acting. Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles are the best, but I also like Chip Esten and Jeff Davis. I was looking for a website or a chatroom that people can get together and play these improv games. Have you come across any such place? The games look extremely fun to play, but you need enough people.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 16th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Ya know what would be fun? Play "Whose Line" in a mental hospital. Not only would the patients undoubtedly come up with some bizarre stuff, but it would probably make for good therapy. I wonder if anyone's ever thought of it?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Whose Line Fans?

Post by EricJ » April 17th, 2010, 5:47 am

Ben wrote:I've been a fan since the UK show kick-started in the early 1980s. Many of the same guys that came back to the States when the US version began had come over to the UK to appear in the original series, so in a way the US version (which we also get here) is like a continuation of the original show, which ended soon after the US one began.
Actually, it was Drew Carey who found out about the show from Ryan Stiles on Drew's sitcom, and--with the same game "Hey, how hard could a Hoedown be?" spirit--proposed doing the US version with him as host.
Although you lucky bums got to have Josie Lawrence, Stephen Frost and Mike McShane on your version. :x
ibrmacf wrote:Oh yes, I'd forgotten that Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops had done some voice acting. Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles are the best, but I also like Chip Esten and Jeff Davis
As it so happens, all four will be on live tour in our town next May.
(And I can't go see them, since I already blew most of my concert money on Cinema Titanic live this week. :( )

Although caught Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie doing the live two-man tour last year--
The finale had them doing a full round of Alphabet Questions onstage.
Blindfolded.
With mousetraps. :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 19th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I could I never get into the UK version. Maybe because I started with the US version (probably the same reason I feel the same about The Office). I don't like anyone on the british whose line besides Ryan and Colin (and Greg Proops. I think he was on the UK one sometimes), and I much prefer Drew over the UK host.

So, here are my two FAVORITE things that ever happened on the show. First, was when Drew called Africa a country instead of a continent, and the rest of the show, everyone made fun of him.

[youtube][/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Q10g_Mov4[youtube][/youtube]

The second, and my absolute favorite thing that ever happened, was when Ryan hits his head on the neon light around Drew's desk:

[youtube][/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99VxlYrBbPg[youtube][/youtube]

I have never laughed so hard before or since

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Post by Dan » April 20th, 2010, 2:00 am

Sometime after Whose Line (US version) wrapped, Drew and most of the guys wanted to keep it going in a different form via green screen. Thus Drew Carey's Green Show was born. They perform the usual improv skits before a live audience in front of a green screen. After the tapings, they send them over to various animators and animation studios to animate skits. Among those involved included Eric Goldberg and Bill Plympton. Since the show was on the WB, though, it only lasted one season.

You can view the whole series here:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 30086165C7

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Whippet Angel » April 20th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Macaluso wrote:The second, and my absolute favorite thing that ever happened, was when Ryan hits his head on the neon light around Drew's desk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99VxlYrBbPg

I have never laughed so hard before or since
Hehe, I remember that! It was impressive how he insisted on staying in character until the end of the skit.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2010, 8:35 am

Ironic that the clip comes from the UK airing of the show (on the Five US channel we have here). ;)