Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Post by ibrmacf » June 23rd, 2010, 10:44 pm

Hey Fellow Animated Fans,
I just wanted to know what you all thought of Matthew Lillard (from the live-action Scooby-Doo films) as the new voice of Shaggy in the future animated films and TV series. I watched Scooby-Doo Abracadabradoo! and personally I found it very painful on my ears to hear him do Shaggy. Casey Kasem was the best, in my opinion. But what do u all think?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2010, 6:21 am

I don't have a problem with it. Someone was going to have to take over at some point. :)

When I saw the films, I thought Lillard got Shaggy spot on, maybe not from an animated voice point of view, but certainly for someone doing his take on an impression for the kind of film it was. So he's a natural choice, having nailed it a little more in the second film, and it's not exactly like he seems to have much more on his plate right now.

Actually, that always amuses me a bit: when actors turn down a part in something that would be an easy pay gig for them (as with Lillard and a proposed third Scooby movie), and the studio progresses anyway (as WB did with the prequel reboot), only for the original actor to have then realized they missed the boat, nothing else major was coming along, and that they really need to accept anything (like Lillard seems to have done for the new animated series).

That said, it'll be not much more than a handful of hours in a recording booth for him every couple of episodes, so maybe he's made a canny decision there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Matthew Lillard as Shaggy Voice?

Post by ibrmacf » June 24th, 2010, 9:15 am

Yeah I guess.

But I would have preferred Nick Palatas (from the Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins movie) as the new voice of Shaggy :) .

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by scamp » June 25th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Personally, I would have preferred to see either Billy West or Scott Innes take over the voice of Shaggy as I think they did a fine job in the earlier direct to dvd films voicing the character.

While I agree with Ben that Lillard did a fine job portraying the character in the two live action films, I was not too crazy about his voice-over performance of the role in Abracadabradoo!

It's a shame Kasem chose to retire from the role, and I just hope Lillard's performance improves in the new series over what he did in this last direct to dvd film.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 28th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Every time an established voice changes, the fans get in uproar before they even hear the first audio track of the replacement actor!

I've seen this time and again.

It happened after Mel Blanc died and all the Looney Tunes voices had to be recast...

I'm sure it happened with the Flintstones after the original Fred, Alan Reed, died and was replaced...

There have been complaints from Batman fans because Kevin Conroy (Batman: TAS '92-'95, '97-'99, and Justice League) doesn't get cast as Batman for every animated DC project. I get a kick out of hearing "Oswald" (Diedrich Bader, "The Drew Carey Show") do the voice of Batman on Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I'm sure Bruce Greenwood will do fine as Batman in the upcoming "Red Hood" video even if I'm not a fan of the original comic (or its writer)...

Such a lack of faith in the voice actors, casting agents, and directors!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » August 2nd, 2010, 11:16 pm

So I've started looking into the new Scooby Doo series that's been airing with Matthew as Shaggy. I think he works just fine. Plus they did a neat little thing in the series (which is a slight reboot) where Kasem voices his dad.

Aside from the stylized design used, one of the more interesting aspects of the series is the establishment of a relationship between Shaggy and Velma.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 3rd, 2010, 1:59 am

.. and between Daphne and Fred!

Though, both relationships appear to be mostly 'one-sided,' on the girls' parts. It'll be interesting to see if any romance actually develops during the course of the series.

A lot of long-time Scooby-Doo fans seem to hate that aspect of the show .. but I'm kinda diggin' it. Definitely sets this new series apart from the myriad interchangeable TV movies and DTV specials over the years. Though, the moody stylized 'look' of the show helps to accomplish that, too.

.. and Patrick Warburton as the skeptical sheriff is a hoot! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 3rd, 2010, 5:29 am

It actually looks better than the previous Scooby shows, too.

I don't know which studio is drawing and animating it, but Scooby looks very up-to-date but classic at the same time.

(Yes, the anti-Scooby fan watched an episode of it this past weekend.

(I'm still getting used to the idea that Mindy Cohn is doing Velma's voice now. Weird, but it fits!)

I knew Lillard would be fine. He gets props from me going back to "Serial Mom," the only John Waters film I've ever seen!

Look golly, Scoob-fans, ya didn't think he'd be groovy?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » August 3rd, 2010, 11:14 am

droosan wrote: Though, both relationships appear to be mostly 'one-sided,' on the girls' parts.
I think that only applies to Daphne crushing on Fred only he is too oblivious to even notice it. Shaggy seems to want to move forward his relationship with Velma, but is doing so slowly and quietly in fear of how Scooby would react.

I chuckle every time I hear Lewis Black as Mr. E. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 3rd, 2010, 3:09 pm

.. that's why I said 'mostly'. :P But -- while Fred is oblivious to Daphne, both Daphne and Fred seem clueless about Velma & Shaggy, thus far.

-------------

Fun cameo in last night's episode ("Revenge of the Man Crab"):

Last edited by droosan on August 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 3rd, 2010, 3:40 pm

This doesn't seem to be an off-topic topic. Maybe we should move it to a more appropriate forum?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » August 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

Pebbles and Bam-Bam don't age much from the 70's, huh?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 3rd, 2010, 4:18 pm

.. especially considering they're from the 1999970's B.C. ..! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Scoby-Doo: Mystery Incorperated

Post by LotsoA113 » August 3rd, 2010, 5:50 pm

Changed the title to fit where the discussion is going
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2010, 7:18 pm

Read my mind. ;) Moved to TV too...

Completely forgot about the premier, (and how ever many episodes) but luckily I see I have it for free on my "On Demand". Just to see it for curiosity sake, thought it looked interesting from the commercials.

By the by, from the little I've heard, Matthew's redemption as cartoon Shaggy was pretty good.