Here's the NEW Wonder Woman!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 13th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Maybe Warner Archive would even put it out?

I'd be curious to see it, but I'm kinda glad it didn't get picked up. I'd rather see a great film get done eventually.
Last edited by Randall on May 13th, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Either that, or it could end up in an eventual supplements package for a major film version (which WB may return to thinking about if this is truly dead as a TV show).

Or else, it'll end up being the modern equivalent of that Superboy pilot from the late 50s, which I think I read about recently as finally coming out as an extra on a new release (I don't think it's the new Superman BD box). Ahh, it could be the Complete Series set of Smallville that I'm thinking about, but I know it's coming out after not ever really being seen before.

Then again, I don't really want to shell out for Smallville in standard def: like 24 I can't see why they don't make the exception for iconic and popular shows like these and put the darned things out on BD! Grrrrrrrr...!! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 13th, 2011, 11:48 pm

I'm curious if NBC has actually decided on whether they're going to pick up the pilot or not. The decision has to be made this month...

Has the production company even finished editing the pilot???

In other Wonder-fronts, the comic itself is at a very low point. I think WW is so unpopular now with the editorial change and J.M. Staczynski's horribly bad ideas that the pilot couldn't hurt her! It's that sad a state of affairs.
(Heh... The guy who created Babylon 5 turns out to be one of the WORST writers to hit comics in a long time... I've looked at some of his "ideas" for comics and I've gotta be honest -- he's not worth it, guys. There are tons of people who wrote in the 70s, 80s, and 90s who are much better fits for the old-time characters. I really don't care for the ideas JMS and most of Hollywood has brought to comics.

(Their comics end up reading like really bad fanfic written by guys who have only read the Wikipedia entries on characters -- and the Wikapedia entries are very incomplete and many times have half-wrong entries... May be nitpicking but if you don't know the basic facts behind the characters you're writing you SHOULDN'T be writing them!!! That includes little things like motivations.)
I think GL is going to end up being the character with a good year in all honesty (unless the film bombs big). Can't honestly say that DC is having a good year or coming out with anything that's remotely decent. It's one bad idea after another with the company and I say this as someone who collected comics regularly for nearly 30 years until mid-last year...

I just hope there's enough barrier between DC and the WB film groups. The guys in charge at DC have no idea what they're doing now. It's REALLY bad!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 14th, 2011, 10:24 am

George,what part of:
Hollywood Reporter wrote:Despite having the most buzz of any pilot this season, the David E. Kelley reboot failed to score a pickup. Thoms voiced her disappointment on Twitter, saying, "I am very sad that NBC passed on Wonder Woman."
...did you not understand! ;)

NBC passed already.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 14th, 2011, 11:12 am

Re: old Superboy pilot--- Yes, it's going onto the Smallville complete series set. I have the pilot on VHS, and it's really quite good. It should have been a supplement on the Adv. of Superman sets, or alongside Superpup in the films set (though Superpup should also rightly have gone on the Adv. of Superman sets).

Believe it or not, I have a book all about the making of the Superboy and Superpup pilots. All bow before my geekness.

Warner has said that, despite Smallville Season 5 being out on HD DVD*, they won't even do that season on BD. The 4 previous seasons' effects were only in SD, so that's they're excuse for not putting them on BD. Of ocurse, that didn't stop Fox from putting Firefly out on BD.

* This appears to be my only remaining reason for being glad to have gone for HD DVD, aside from picking up many movies cheap after its inevitable demise.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » May 14th, 2011, 11:22 am

Ben wrote:(or place it on their own network as a Smallville replacement?)
Isn't that what the upcoming live-action show with Teen Titans' Raven is supposed to be doing? Though I haven't heard any other news outside of DC greenlighting a live-action Raven series. But, considering she's my favourite Titan, I hope when they do get around to making it, it's a good one.

GeorgeC

Re: Here's the NEW Wonder Woman!

Post by GeorgeC » May 14th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Ben,

By now, you should know I DON'T live and die by what THR says...

(Fact -- for a year I had free subscription to 3-4 different magazines. THR was one of them... Don't miss it one bit! Same with Wired.)

I'm about a day behind in entertainment news honestly. More important things are bugging me.

Oh well, so it is what it is.

Can't hurt or help that character. It's as messed up as it's ever been for at least 20 years now...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » May 14th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Randall wrote:Believe it or not, I have a book all about the making of the Superboy and Superpup pilots. All bow before my geekness.
Yeah, yeah, and you probably even remember the old William Dozier 60's-Batman era WW pilot:

Thought someone would've been geeky enough to mention it by now, but...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 15th, 2011, 12:45 am

Well, yeah, I have that on a couple of different tapes.

GeorgeC

Re: Here's the NEW Wonder Woman!

Post by GeorgeC » May 15th, 2011, 1:11 am

Considering what was going on at DC Comics in general in the late 1960s, I don't think the Dozier WW could have been any worse than that awful Avengers-inspired (Emma Peel-lite) take on Wonder Woman... The storylines where she wore a white jumpsuit (how would ever stay clean let not alone be seen by every assassin within 1/4 mile??? it's louder than her Amazon garb!) and had a Chinese martial arts mentor, I-Ching.

I kid you not... That's what DC did with the character for 3-4 years.

(I've seen a little bit of the Dozier WW pilot film. Lousy. Totally off-putting take. Again, in retrospect it's as wrong-headed as the I-Ching era Wonder Woman...)

Aside from JLA, and the Broome runs on Flash and GL, there's not a lot to recommend about DC in the 1960s. (Out of what I've read through the Archives and Showcase TPB reprints, Doom Patrol was the closest they came to a Marvel-like comic. Very different from the rest of the DC line and ahead of its time in many ways.) Very wooden characterizations and coasting on the fumes of the 1940s and 1950s. Go back and read those those comics and it's easy to see why Marvel pulled ahead by the late 1960s.

But getting back to WW, I don't think anybody in a position to order a film or TV series produced knows what to do. They don't get the character or trust that there is an audience out there for her. What's holding them back --- the ghost of Lynda Carter or the fact that they don't think a faithful adaptation of the better-known comic book continuity would work???

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2011, 8:38 am

I agree, Rand, that the Superpup and Superboy pilots really should have been on the Adventures Of Superman box sets (the final one, specifically).

That's phooey about Smallville: they've been running the whole thing from the first season on Syfy here, and that includes SyfyHD! Whether they upscale or what, but they should put something like a Complete Series set out in both formats, or offer a hybrid S1-4 DVD/S5-10 BD collection.

As such, I'm not buying, so will still probably have to come over to yours to catch that Superboy pilot sometime and look at that book! ;)

Never knew about that WW Dozier pilot - makes sense after Batman, of course, but it's not on that level at all (if they'd had today's business acumen, I suspect they would have intro'd her in the tail-end of Batman as a fellow crime-fighter), even if it uses the same narrator and music. I'm kinda glad that didn't get made!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 16th, 2011, 9:49 pm

We'll see what happens with those set plans, Ben...

Don't count on it, though.

Excepting Star Trek -- which is a proven all-seasons hit (or at least seems to be that way after a hit film or anniversary) --, science fiction/horror genre TV doesn't do that well. Twilight Zone is a little bit different since it straddles everything you can think of.

No, the immediate attention goes to TV series (comedies and drama) that were still popular at the end of their runs or series associated with popular creators (Lost). Most shows aren't going to get treated like that because they peaked years before the end.

Doesn't hurt my feelings. I never cared for at least 85% of the "popular" shows when they were in first-run to begin with. 5-10 years later these shows have faded, and my own feeling about their quality has been vindicated...

Star Trek and I Love Lucy are never going away forever, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Um...I wasn't suggesting those were real set plans, or counting on anything, George!

Just making the usual fan griping noises about how things could/should have been handled!

But I just don't see the sense in buying SD editions of seasons that are available and out individually in HD format!

! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » June 1st, 2011, 1:49 pm

George C...just so you know, I have plenty of testosterone and "smurfs"...but I 'm a guy who thinks other guys are sexy!

And who likes talking about costumes. I like Wonder Woman's pants so much better than the underwear/skirt with no tights. I never thought she had a good look. Maybe if she had more of a true Amazon-looking skirt, but still, tights would be nice. Why is she even wearing American colors, she is from the Amazons. I just don't get it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 1st, 2011, 3:28 pm

O...kay... Well, not sure where that came from, but good for you putting that out there. :)

As for WW's colors, she's basically wearing Superman's colors! These heroes were created as celebrations of America as anything else, and their actual "origins" are kind of secondary. Just don't think about the colors: they're not "actually" American...it's just that Krypton and the Amazons of Paradise Island really like red and blue! ;)