Here's the NEW Wonder Woman!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Re: Here's the NEW Wonder Woman!

Post by GeorgeC » June 2nd, 2011, 6:18 am

Okay, yeah... Whatever, too! (At Dusty, not Ben...)

No, I really don't buy Wonder Woman as a female Superman, Ben.

As eccentric as some aspects of Superman are, Wonder Woman and her creator/creation story are a lot more whacked! "Whacked" is the best way to put it. Seriously. Crazy/deranged/psychedelic doesn't begin to describe Wonder Woman and William Moulton Marston, her creator... I think "Alice in Wonderland" and Lewis Carroll might be the closest English analogue. There are things that you just don't want to think about too much because they're not going to make much sense no matter how you try to rationalize them, period. You just kind of have to go along and enjoy the ride as-is.

The character's colors???? Well, she's a World War II creation and an American-published character so it's natural that she wears a patriotic outfit. Does it make sense and DO HALF the people who even know about the character appreciate this? Probably not anymore... IF DC had at least kept her tied in to World War II like the Justice Society of America characters then the costume would make more sense to more people but the fact is, in their "esteemed wisdom and greater knowledge of how the world really operates" DC editorial decided to make Wonder Woman a modern character and completely forget about her past! No longer a JSA member, no longer a part of WWII, always a young woman and naive to the workings of Man's World...

(Yeah, that part never made much sense to me... It's not like Wonder Woman and Superman were really normal human beings to begin with! They're fictional.... On top of that, they DON'T have to be completely mortal beings like Batman. Batman's the only one of DC's Trio that really needs to be set in the modern era for the most part.)

BUT anyhoo, as we're going to see more and more with DC as time goes, people are not going to like a lot of the upcoming changes..... especially if they think they're going to be permanent ones. (It's just going to annoy and discourage the rest of us, AGAIN, who know better.) I already think the costume changes were unnecessary and bad as-is. It's not as if the majority of people LIKED the past year's WW costume changes. You kind of get used to most of these things after they've been around for 60+ years. All the complaining about the exposed skin on her traditional costume makes even less sense to me, too. There are women who regularly wear less than that at the beach and it's not as if any of us come in the world with clothes on our backs, so yeah, I never understood the hyper-feminist harping about Wonder Woman's or any long-term superheroine's outfit. Especially when it comes from other men! :lol:

Most women I think like the traditional outfit better, too. It's what they grew up seeing, AND, if they're really fans of the character, they wouldn't change it, either. Can many of them wear it? No, but then again not many guys look that good dressed up as Superman, Batman, GL, or The Flash, too! I've been lucky to see at least two people wear those outfits well without looking completely silly... Reeve and Carter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » June 2nd, 2011, 2:37 pm

I was replying to the comments George C made a while ago saying men shouldn't be complaining about the costume like it's not manly enough or something, that they should only care how hot the girl is. I was saying that I had his manly "requirements" of testosterone and balls yet I liked talking about costumes and how hot men, not woman, are, cause that's what I like.

Also, this is a forum to talk about all aspects of certain art forms, and that includes the look and design, you know!

Anyway, it made sense for me that Superman would wear American colors and be so American because he came to America from his planet and seemed to care so much about America. I know that Wonder Woman came to America, too, but...well I guess I don't know enough about Wonder Woman, but for some reason I felt she would look more Amazonian while Superman would want to look more American with his desire to "fit in" and stuff.

And the reason I want Wonder Wioman to have pants, or tights, or maybe an Amazon skirt, is just because I think it would look better, not for any feminist reason or I'm afraid of skin. It's just that the guys almost always wear tights with that underwear on the outside, and the men and women should be equal. I suppose to make sense of the Amazon thing, she wouldn't wear pants or tights, but some kind of loincloth skirt thing, except nicer and more Super Hero-looking

So is this also the place to talk about the gigantuan update of all DC comics, basically re-writing and re-designing the histories of all the Super Heroes? Because I think it's a horrible thing in principle because to treat these characters like real people you can't go changing who they are! If they were born in the 50's or helped with WW II, or liked a certain costume, then that's them!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 2nd, 2011, 2:52 pm

Once again, I literally have no idea what Dust is trying to say here...

But I will say that I'm kinda upset about NBC cancelling the show before it even had a chance, but then again, they've made no shortage of bad choices lately. First they prematurely cancel "Heroes," then try to find a show to replace its success in the forms of duds like "The Cape" and "The Event."

And I wouldn't count on a Wonder Woman movie happening anytime soon, sadly. It's been on and off the ground for ages but hasn't gotten anywhere. And the unfortunate bombing of the female-driven "Sucker Punch" didn't exactly do much to help matters.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 2nd, 2011, 8:17 pm

Dusterian wrote:So is this also the place to talk about the gigantuan update of all DC comics, basically re-writing and re-designing the histories of all the Super Heroes? Because I think it's a horrible thing in principle because to treat these characters like real people you can't go changing who they are! If they were born in the 50's or helped with WW II, or liked a certain costume, then that's them!
Actually, that would be this thread. Please chime in there! :) :
http://www.animatedviews.com/forum/view ... =15&t=4086

But as for Wondy's outfit... in her origin, she took it on only after winning the competition to go to man's world. It was designed to reflect the new culture she was entering (except for being a bathing suit with high heels). So, that works.

For the record, I like her new look in the comics, and I'm glad the TV show pilot (which is all it was--- just another pilot that didn't get picked up) isn't going to series.

And Dacey--- please tone down the anti-Carl and anti-Dusty rhetoric a smidge. We like having them on the boards. Thanks. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2011, 4:43 am

Yep...I think it's for the best that this talk all stop NOW, or else you're all being canned.

We're talking about the NBC Wonder Woman pilot here, not what our personal preferences are. This isn't the board for that. At all.

I'm seriously hoping, now, that this thread remains dormant for a while, at least until more is known about the pilot and where/when we might actually see it.