Are you ready for--The simpsons network!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Are you ready for--The simpsons network!

Post by gaastra » September 16th, 2011, 12:57 pm

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/the-simpsons-network.html

A network of nothing but the simpsons!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 17th, 2011, 3:31 pm

This might be the thing that finally kills The Simpsons.

Too much of anything will bore the heck out of most people.

No difference to me... The Simpsons have been irrelevant as far as I'm concerned for at least 10 years now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 30th, 2011, 7:18 pm

If they go over and beat up the Oprah Channel, I'm in.
Otherwise, we were already treating the Movie as the series finale.

(Fortunately, sounds like it's either a satellite-optional channel, or one of those struggling digital-splinter channels nobody can ever find on the backwaters.
And even then, they can't compare themselves to ThisTV and CoolTV.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by paulinabalk » December 29th, 2011, 2:10 pm

The Simpsons peaked somewhere between seasons 3-5 and 8-9. Many of the early episodes were pretty rough around the edges, and for the last 10 years it’s just been slapstick comedy – and not particularly good slapstick at that.

But in those middle years it was simply brilliant social satire and intelligent comedy.

It was satirizing a lot of things. Part of it was the the American family. But mostly, it was satirizing the TV “family sitcoms” of it’s time (like Roseanne) and the view of reality those shows presented.

I think you have a point – it did focus on a working class family and the dumb dad stereotype which fueled a lot of the jokes* – but it is a show that truly targeted everything . Religion, politics, people, philosophy, the media – it was truly a commentary on the human condition of the mid-90′s. And more often than not, the working class comes out looking good, even if Homer himself is portrayed as an idiot.

The movie sucked. But those years will always have a treasured spot on my DVD shelf.

*But not all the jokes in those years. It’s also famous for it’s math and geek humor. Just look at how many Simpsons quotes are memes on Slashdot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by paulinabalk » January 6th, 2012, 2:59 pm

paulinabalk wrote:The Simpsons peaked somewhere between seasons 3-5 and 8-9. Many of the early episodes were pretty rough around the edges, and for the last 10 years it’s just been slapstick comedy – and not particularly good slapstick at that.
When the show first started, I was a huge Simpsons fan, but now it’s like the characters developed into nothing. They’re really one dimensional and sterotypical. With the new seasons, the show’s just been getting more and more redundant, and I care about what happens to the characters, or objects, less and less.
Last edited by paulinabalk on January 6th, 2012, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2012, 3:14 pm

You agree with yourself? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2012, 2:40 pm

I think it was just an excuse to slip in some offsite, offtopic weblinks.

I have now removed them (again). Sorry paulina, but you'll be removed too if you add in links that basically amount to spam.