Disney's Gravity Falls

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Gravity Falls

Post by Macaluso » July 9th, 2012, 11:16 pm

So, I feel this warrants a thread.

All of you need to watch the show right now. It's probably the best animated show to come out since Adventure Time. The animation is gorgeous, the show is hilarious, the characters are all great (Mabel is the best and she's also voiced by Kristen Schaal).

HAVE SOME GIFS THEN GO WATCH THE SHOW

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Gravity Falls

Post by James » July 10th, 2012, 10:29 am

I saw a commercial for this on one of those pre-movie shows they run and it did look good. I'll give it a go!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 10th, 2012, 11:10 am

Not sure where this is showing (if any) in the UK yet, but I'm sold. Good catch, Mac!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 10th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Macaluso wrote:All of you need to watch the show right now. It's probably the best animated show to come out since Adventure Time.
So...kids...actually...]WATCH Adventure Time?
Not saying they shouldn't, just that it didn't seem like it'd ever been made with any inscrutable awareness of the world outside of the stoner/hipster animator's CN deal at all. (I remember seeing a movie-commercial promo with a slacker music-video showing kids dressing up as the characters and doing backyard play, and thinking, "Yeah, they....sure as heck do that all the time, don't they? :? "

I've got only slightly more patience for Disney's attempt to latch onto the weird, weird world of cable animation, as it's all imitated, and they're not, er, doing the same stuff as CN to keep it from being at least a little mainstream-commercial:
As 90's-relic as Phineas & Ferb might get, by slavishly copied rote imitation, at least it's still more sellable than most Nick cartoons, and the Mouse makes sure to keep it that way.
(Although they do still have "Teacher's Pet" all those years ago to answer for.)
Last edited by EricJ on July 10th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 10th, 2012, 8:26 pm

The first episode is up for free on Disney's website (I have no idea about the UK site, if there is a specific UK site) but I guarantee you'll be sold on the show by the first episode

edit: What the heck? Of course kids watch Adventure Time.

edit 2: i don't really see where you get the stoner/hipster thing from EricJ maybe you're thinking of regular show (which WAS originally going to be on adult swim but was toned down just enough to be allowed on regular CN)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » July 11th, 2012, 6:34 am

Animation looks good and from just a little glimpse looks like the humor is not wacked out like Adventure Time. My kids definitely don't watch Adventure Time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » July 11th, 2012, 3:37 pm

I have younger relatives that LOVE Adventure Time and Regular Show, and I'm in the same camp. Both are just so ODD and unpredictable, it's a nice change of pace from most modern kids cartoons that are simply too bland to stand out.

As for Gravity Falls...this does look good (love the character designs) and Kristen Schaal can do no wrong in my opinion (if your not watching Bob's Burgers, which she figures on prominently, your missing out on the funniest animated comedy this side of Archer) I think I'll give it a shot later tonight!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Macaluso wrote:edit 2: i don't really see where you get the stoner/hipster thing from EricJ maybe you're thinking of regular show (which WAS originally going to be on adult swim but was toned down just enough to be allowed on regular CN)
Like most CN shows, I kept wondering what AT was "supposed" to be, instead of funny or imaginative:
Was it "supposed" to be someone's abstract idea of J-culture/anime (a frequent CN target for kitsch-sneering), after looking only at Hello Kitty and trying to do an imitation of Domo-kun, or....?...y'know, could they give us a HINT?? :?:
LotsoA113 wrote:I have younger relatives that LOVE Adventure Time and Regular Show, and I'm in the same camp. Both are just so ODD and unpredictable, it's a nice change of pace from most modern kids cartoons that are simply too bland to stand out.
Like WHAT? I haven't seen a good old-fashioned "bland" (= professional, coherent and non-ADD) cartoon on network or cable since Lilo & Stitch went off the air! ;)
As for Gravity Falls...this does look good (love the character designs) and Kristen Schaal can do no wrong in my opinion (if your not watching Bob's Burgers, which she figures on prominently, your missing out on the funniest animated comedy this side of Archer) I think I'll give it a shot later tonight!
Although some of the animation (like the leaf-blower) looks like that's not the ONLY thing it shares in common with Bob's Burgers and FG, etc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Adventure Time is supposed to be a show about a boy and a magic dog having adventures?? I think adventure time is funny AND imaginative. And I just... wtf at "someone's abstract idea of J-culture/anime ... after looking only at Hello Kitty and trying to do an imitation of Domo-kun"

?!?!!???!

I mean if you don't like the show, you don't like the show but what int he world are you even talking about here

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 20th, 2012, 9:46 am

Meant to get back to this thread but forgot.

Gravity Falls is a great show. I don't watch a lot of TV animation "live". New episodes of SpongeBob and sometimes Phineas and Ferb. The rest I just watch reruns whenever they happen to be on and I have the time. But Gravity Falls has almost become an event show in our house where we all gather together to watch the new episodes.

Highly recommended.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » February 5th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Love Gravity Falls. one of the best to come out in a long time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » March 26th, 2013, 8:45 pm

I know they have started with new episodes for season 2

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 13th, 2016, 8:56 pm

The first cycle of the 68-hour Gravity Falls marathon is about to end on the west coast.

What are some of your favorite moments/episodes/etc. from the series?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 27th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Gravity Falls is getting a complete series release! On Blu-ray! And, it's from....

Shout Factory!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23072

So, Dis is licensing animated fare to Shout! The mind boggles at the possibilities. Kim Possible? Phineas and Ferb? Maybe even... The Muppets?!?

We'll all be staying tooned.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 27th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Could this be because Gravity Falls is more "offbeat" than Disney's usual cartoons?

Oh well. Super cool! I'll be getting this.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."