Star Wars Rebels

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Star Wars Rebels

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Sounds good. We (my son and I ) just finished the final season of Clone Wars on Netflix this afternoon. That show was excellent, though it's good to hear the faces have been fixed for the new show. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 5th, 2014, 11:28 am

Clone Wars was excellent (I still have yet to see the "lost mission" episodes), and the action on the show was always top notch. But the eyes especially really do move much better in this show, and the body language in general (characters gesture in a very "natural" way) has also improved as well.

In terms of tone, so far it's a lot less dark than Clone Wars. And I'm more than okay with that. While I'm sure more "serious" episodes are on the way, for the time being, the series is content with just being a really fun adventure show. And that's good enough for me. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Agreed. Clone Wars, by its nature, was dark, even in the lighter episodes. There's a real moral ambivalence in the set-up, given that there is not really any side to cheer for. Even the Jedi are just pawns of Palpatine. Eveyone is being manipulated on all sides. And by the time you get to the final season, everything's hitting the fan, and the characters know there's nothing good coming. In a way, the complex nature of the premise is extremely mature (perhaps too mature for a "kids show"?), a far cry from the simple, basic morality of most cartoons.

Rebels, on the other hand, needs to be about hope, and a clear focus on good vs. evil stuff.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 22nd, 2015, 11:45 pm

In the midst of playing catch up now that I've got some time to watch the shows on DVR. I may be only two episodes in, but I definitely like Rebels. The characters have been fleshed out pretty well, some really good voice acting, some classic Star Wars staging of scenes, and I like how the facial expressions are more exaggerated (the Disney touch to the franchise, I would imagine).

Probably wasn't noted here, but leading up to the show's premiere, Disney XD had been showing short stories that further fleshed out the personalities of the crew of the Ghost. Here's one Greg Weisman wrote giving us a better look at Kanan, Hera, and Chopper.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 6th, 2015, 1:28 am

First season set coming to Blu-ray Sept. 1! Finally, I'll be able to binge watch the show.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Cool that Disney have gone the Blu route!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 6th, 2015, 12:50 pm

I was hoping so, given that they'd completed Clone Wars on Blu.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 6th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Two days after my birthday? That's two days too late!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 31st, 2016, 1:36 am

Bumping this just to say how awed I was by Twilight of the Apprentice. Those last several minutes... chills, man... awesome chills...