Star Wars Rebels

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
Buzz Bumble

Star Wars Rebels

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 3rd, 2014, 12:16 am

Disney / Lucasfilm has released this teaser trailer for the new up-coming Star Wars computer animated TV series Star Wars Rebels. The series will be based around a new set of characters and is set in the timeframe between the Prequel Trilogy and Original Trilogy. A full trailer is due for release on Star Wars Day (4 May).

Star Wars Rebels Teaser Trailer: YouTube
(Sorry, the YouTube tag button doesn't seem to work - probably just my old computer though.)

Buzz Bumble

Re: Star Wars Rebels

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 3rd, 2014, 12:17 am

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 4th, 2014, 4:59 pm

The full trailer is out:
Starring a small band of heroes -- Sabine, Kanan, Hera, Ezra, Zeb, and Chopper -- Star Wars Rebels is set in a time where the Empire rules through fear and shrouds the galaxy in darkness. This trailer offers many new glimpses at sequences from the show, including the starship Ghost chased by TIE Fighters; young Ezra watching as a Star Destroyer looms overhead; Stormtroopers marching; a zero-g fight between our heroes and Imperials; and Kanan, a secret Jedi, assembling his lightsaber and preparing for battle. It ends, however, with an Imperial officer reporting to the Inquisitor -- the Empire's Jedi hunter, seen and heard here for the first time.

Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III and IV as the Empire tightens its grip on the galaxy and a rebellion begins to form. The series, executive produced by Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman, is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel and will be followed by a series on Disney XD.

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » August 5th, 2014, 11:35 pm

A clip showing the first seven minutes of the Star Wars Rebels animated series is on YouTube ...
Star Wars Rebels (YouTube)
In this special extended preview of Star Wars Rebels, the Empire arrives on Lothal -- bringing tyranny with them. Imperials and stormtroopers establish an intimidating presence on the planet, enforcing strict new laws for trade and arresting citizens for expressing dissent of any kind. A young boy named Ezra, however, discovers that a mysterious group is attempting to steal cargo from the Empire. Intrigued, he tries to take it for himself ... and ends up on the run from both Imperials and this small band of rebels.

Star Wars Rebels, set between Episodes III and IV of the Star Wars saga, will premiere in October 2014 with a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2014, 5:05 am

Meh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 6th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Clone Wars felt like it was filling in bits of missing movie canon; this just feels like another teen-rebels series, and it's just...I dunno....it's like Tron: Uprising.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 6th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Strangely, the two characters I was most interested to see -- Hera (the twi'lek pilot) and Chopper (the astromech droid) -- are the only ones not introduced in this opening clip. :|

I wouldn't quite say "meh" .. but I do agree that this opening sequence is a bit on the 'predictable' side.

Still .. this is largely from the same creative staff as CN's Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series, so I'm willing to give it a bit more than seven minutes, before forming an overall opinion on the show. :mrgreen:

Though, I'm still kinda bummed that SW:tCW may never get resolved/tied-into Episode III, as was obviously intended. :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 6th, 2014, 8:00 pm

I never thought I'd live to say that I am sick and tired of new Star Wars and Star Trek projects...
There's been too much in too little time and most of the projects have not been worth seeing.
That's pretty much true for many series but it's saddening to see what were trailblazing series diminish into mediocrity.

I was NOT thrilled to see JJ Abrams attached to the Star Wars: Episode 7 after the last two Star Trek features.

Well, the Star Trek: Axanar project looks interesting but I gotta admit I think Star Trek has gone too far off the path of exploratory science fiction and become another "shoot 'em up" galactic gunfight like Star Wars has been from the beginning...

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » August 6th, 2014, 9:23 pm

It aint just Star Wars and Star Trek ... an over-large proportion of cinema these days are "superhero" movies and most computer / console game releases are just 3D-first-person-shooters. Add in all the silly "reboots" / "remakes" / "resurrections" and it basically proves to be an extremely lazy and largely talentless generation in charge of things these days simply hanging on to the coat tails of past people's work (and usually end up butchering it) rather than actually making something of their own. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 6th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Totally agree.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 6th, 2014, 11:11 pm

droosan wrote:Though, I'm still kinda bummed that SW:tCW may never get resolved/tied-into Episode III, as was obviously intended. :(
Haven't gotten into the post-series half-season of "Netflix Exclusive!" Clone Wars S6 episodes, but most of them seem to be tying off loose plot threads involving Yoda leading into Ep. 3, and why Qui-Gon didn't appear at the end of Ep. 6, etc.
Looks like it's about as close to a tie-up finale as as the series's going to get, but I'm only on S3 so far.

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » August 7th, 2014, 12:17 am

There were vague rumours a while back about a comic series continuing the story, but that probably won't happen with Disney moving the Star Wars comics (back) to their own Marvel brand from Dark Horse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 8th, 2014, 12:01 am

Huh; I hadn't heard about these 'Netflix exclusive' SW:tCW episodes (not too surprising, since I'm not a subscriber). Good to know there may be some closure, at least. 8)

Here's a promo for Star Wars: Rebels titled "A Look Ahead," containing several intriguing glimpses of the first few episodes ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 4th, 2014, 9:44 am

This was actually pretty good last night! Some aspects of the animation and the protagonist need work, but it captures the tone of the original trilogy perfectly.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 4th, 2014, 7:49 pm

I enjoyed this a LOT more than I thought I might, largely because I was uncertain about having a Star Wars show with no actual Star Wars characters in the main cast. But it's a LOT of fun, the gang of Rebels is VERY appealing, and the animation is terrific. If you had any problems with the "stiff" facial expressions that sometimes plagued the Clone Wars, rest assured that everyone on this show looks very much "alive." I think that Disney has a HUGE hit on their hands here if they play their cards right.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."