Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Randall » January 20th, 2024, 10:04 am

Hhhmmmm... Into Steelbooks now?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2024, 8:53 pm

Not sure where you got that from?

I might be forced into one for Wish, but will probably get the regular Blu and put the 4K in that and pass the the steel on. The UK isn’t getting a 4K at all again, so looks like my only option. As I said, I’ll be up for a steel when it fits the movie, and there’s something cool about having a metal box for a movie about robots, especially because I couldn’t get hold of the regular US release and the UK steel was the next best option, but I remain not a major fan.

Not that it matters as The Creator is going back anyway. Film is okay, but it’s disjointed, never gets emotionally compelling, and doesn’t ever quite find a groove. Impressive scale, but nothing we haven’t really seen before (District 9 and Elysium come to mind outside of the obvious ones), and just largely lacking in tone and pacing. I’m not sure Edwards, as much as I like him, is the director this needed. Not exactly disappointing, and worth seeing, but D+ did it for me and I wouldn’t be rushing back to watch it anytime soon so may as well save my thirty-five quid.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 21st, 2024, 12:26 am

Ben wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 8:53 pm
Not sure where you got that from?
Ben wrote:
January 19th, 2024, 5:58 pm
Just got my 4K steelbook for The Creator...
...when the US 4K is readily available, though maybe not from your importer, but you did have that as an option (and you do buy lots of US discs from the US already). The UK also has a 4K, which you perhaps passed on due to the ratings labels; but again, it was an option you passed up in favour of a Steelbook. You chose the Steelbook, as you said, because the film was about robots. So, it's not like you're not into Steelbooks if the right one comes along. So, I'm not sure why you say you're not sure where I'm getting that from. :?

I suppose you thought I was implying that you are all in for Steelbooks now, but that would be crazy, as I know you don't roll that way. But obviously you may potentially favour a Steelbook under the right circumstances.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2024, 5:13 am

Obviously. ;)

My basic take:
Ben wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 6:53 am
I’m not a massive fan of steels at the best of times, unless they really fit a title and make it special for that reason…
As also said, I couldn’t import the regular 4K this time, and wasn’t going to spend wads on trying to get it elsewhere (Amazon wouldn’t ship to the UK again) as a blind buy, so the UK was the best bet here, but I didn’t like the regular cover that much and the steel in this case not only looked classier but also fit the movie.
Ben wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 6:53 am
I’m not a massive fan of steels at the best of times, unless they really fit a title and make it special for that reason…
So The Creator fit my steel criteria. I just didn’t get that I said I bought *one* and I’m "into steelbooks now"…? No, I don’t mind them, but usually not a fan, especially of the usually unbalanced inside art and usual lack of booklets/inserts for some reason.

Anyway, it’s going back so all totally a moot point. And the UK steel for Wish is BD only, annoyingly, so that’s not really an option from the UK this time out either.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2024, 2:34 pm

Even though Nomad was moving so slow, it sure felt like it was literally everywhere! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2024, 6:11 pm

It was certainly going too slow to plug all the holes… ;) :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2024, 1:02 pm

New this week:

🇺🇸:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians – Episode 7
The Last Repair Shop
A Real Bug's Life

🇬🇧:
Superhot: The Spicy World of Pepper People
Never Let Him Go

For anyone curious:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2024, 5:06 pm

New this week:

🇺🇸:
Arctic Ascent with Alex Honnold
Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó
Genius MLK/X – Episodes 1-4
X2
X-Men: First Class
The Marvels 🌎
Assembled: The Making of The Marvels 🌎

🇬🇧:
An Earth Shatteringly Romantic Solar Valentine's Day Opposites Special
Suncoast
Love, Rosie

🇨🇦:
Cypher

🇦🇺:
The Mission (2023)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 15th, 2024, 3:42 am

Iwájú: coming soon to Disney+ ..

.. kinda feels like they took the basic concept of the fictional TV show within Bolt, and fleshed it out into a full series.

.. still looks cool, and (potentially!) very fun, though! 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 15th, 2024, 4:23 am

Ahaa! Yeah, I knew it felt familiar! Good shout! A bit of Big Hero 6 vibes, too.

I love how they literally spoon-fed the concept to us in the first half, more like a pitch than a trailer! My only hesitations are that it’s yet another superhero/sci-fi property, and that Disney's infamous texture/rendering looks "soft" and cartoony again, and not as good or tangible as it used to in the earlier 2000s, but the different kind of setting at least offers hope that they might go in some unexpected story directions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 15th, 2024, 10:41 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 15th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Well that looks pretty authentic! Just need some TMS explosions to make it perfect! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 16th, 2024, 6:56 am

Trouble is when we get "classic" looking shows they still use pc drawn and not hand drawn. Takes you out of "this was like than" right away.

If you want to make a retro show that looks like the original--use cel animation!

Oh well. Minor gripe. No big deal.

Plot wise this looks good so far. Have high hopes for this show so far.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2024, 12:15 pm

I did say “pretty” authentic! ;)

While I do agree with you, totally, I think they did a much better job than usual in aping the cel and videotape style. There are a couple of shots that look close to almost being lifted from older shows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 16th, 2024, 1:11 pm

Unfortunately the original show isn't available on my Disney+.