Black Friday Christmas Specials Invasion Returns!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Black Friday Christmas Specials Invasion Returns!

Post by gaastra » November 20th, 2018, 9:43 am

Charlie brown thanksgiving airs on thanksgiving but black friday every year all the networks have aired Christmas specials at the same time on this night for years!

It's back with one station dropping out this year!

Fox will air football and not ice ige Christmas and how murry saved Christmas this year. (what a bunch of scrooges) The rest are. Even cw!

So at the same time you have to choose--

CBS

Frosty
frosty returns

NBC

How the grinch stole Christmas 60s
trolls holidays

ABC

santa is coming to town

CW

Grandma got run over by a raindeer

So what are you going to watch that night?

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Black Friday Christmas Specials Invasion Returns!

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2018, 10:19 am

I'm amazed Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer somehow still airs every year.

Is it like the only special CW has the rights to anymore?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 20th, 2018, 5:00 pm

I'm trying to start a new tradition--
If you're talking about trampling strangers outside of Wal-Mart at midnight, and buying strategically overpriced big-screen TV's and iPhones to show off, it's "Black Friday",
If you're talking about Christmas specials premiering the day after Thanksgiving, and kicking back with leftovers and holiday cookies, that's...well, it didn't use to have a name back before Black Friday was invented in 1983 but I'm calling it "White Friday".
(It just won't be the same anymore, with no more Toys R Us ads...)

When I was growing up, network Thanksgiving was reserved for a three to four-hour family-movie block, so that non-essential network crew could have the evening off--
Some remember Sound of Music, Home Alone or E.T., but from my generation, I still feel it's heretical to watch Willy Wonka, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Mary Poppins any OTHER night of the year. :)
Dacey wrote:I'm amazed Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer somehow still airs every year.

Is it like the only special CW has the rights to anymore?
As for CW, pretty much--
Warner-proper owns the other Rankin-Bass specials outside of the Big Four, which is why they promote "Year Without a Santa Claus" to the top of their list.
Recently, networks have tried to keep the momentum going for after-Christmas New Year's specials, which means Warner can now bring "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" out of limbo, along with "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown".

It's harder for networks to air holiday specials, now that the entire country isn't sitting down to watch the same show on the same night anymore, so there's less and less incentive for corporate-owned networks to take valuable time away from their key franchises--Unless the special, like Rudolph or Charlie Brown, IS its own marketing franchise.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 21st, 2018, 10:19 am

CW used to air scooby-doo Christmas also but it airs on boomerang these days.