100 Greatest Family Films: Vote Now!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

100 Greatest Family Films: Vote Now!

Post by Wonderlicious » October 9th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Channel 4, a British TV station are having another nostalgia countdown, this time to do with family films. Below are the list of nominees (along with some descriptions for the more obscure ones), which include a number of animated films. You can vote for up to 10 of these titles in the poll. If you want, you can post the lists of movies you voted for in this thread, and if you're unhappy about something being missed, e-mail Channel 4 from the address on the voting page.

Happy Choosing! :D

101 Dalmatians
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
The Addams Family
Aladdin
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland
(not the classic Disney version but a live action version from the 1970s with classic British actors and songs. Why that got in and not the Disney film is beyond me.)
The Amazing Mr Blunden (period ghost story from 1972 about a ghost who transports two Edwardian kids through time)
Anne Of Green Gables (1934 adaptation of the classic tale)
Annie
The Aristocats
Babe
Back To The Future
Bambi
Batman
Bean – The Movie
(British comedy character Mr Bean gets a Hollywood movie set in Hollywood. Also starring the Whistler's Mother. :lol:)
The Bear (French/American coproduction about a bear in the wild with no dialogue.)
Beauty And The Beast
Bedknobs And Broomsticks
Beetlejuice
The Belles Of St. Trinian's
(British classic from the 1950s about a wayward all-girl's school in England)
Belleville Rendez-Vous (UK title for Les Triplettes de Belleville, a 2003 French cartoon about the Tour de France. In my opinion, the animation looks like 101 Dalmatians.)
Bend it Like Beckham (British comedy starring Keira Knightley. It's about an Asian girl who becomes a women's soccer player.)
Big
Born Free
(true-life tale of sending a human raised lion back into the wild.)
Bright Eyes (the film containing Shirley Temple's iconic song "Good Ship Lollypop".)
A Bug's Life
Bugsy Malone
(70s musical only starring kids, including Jodie Foster. The film is a gangster movie spoof, with bullets being replaced by cream and custard pies)
Chicken Run
Children Of Heaven
(Iranian film about kids swapping shoes and literally finding themselves in other kids' lives)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Cool Runnings
Digby The Biggest Dog In The World
(a 1970s tale about Digby, who is the biggest dog in the world. How ironic! :P)
Doctor Dolittle (this is actually the 1960s musical starring Rex Harrison as an eccentric Edwardian doctor who talks to animals)
Dumbo
E.T. – The Extra Terrestrial
Edward Scissorhands
Fantasia
Finding Nemo
Flash Gordon
(1980 fantasy sci-fi film about an American football player/warrior hero, complete with Queen soundtrack)
Fly Away Home (1990s drama about a girl who helps some orphaned geese chicks migrate)
Freaky Friday (2003 version)
Free Willy
Genevieve
(1953 comedy from England about cars)
Ghostbusters
The Goonies
Grease
Great Expectations
(1946 adaptation of Dickens' novel which I believe stars the late father to Hayley John Mills)
Gremlins
Hans Christian Andersen
(musical biopic starring Danny Kaye about the life of the Danish story teller, who wrote the original Little Mermaid)
Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
Holes
Home Alone
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
The Incredible Journey
(the original film version of the tale of some pets in the wild)
The Incredibles
The Iron Giant
It's A Wonderful Life
Jason And The Argonauts
(1963 Ray Harreusen film based on Greek mythology)
Jumanji
The Jungle Book
Jurassic Park
The Karate Kid
The King And I
King Kong
Kirikou And The Sorceress
(French/Belgian/Luxenbourgian animated film about an African village)
Lassie Come Home
The Lavender Hill Mob
(1950s British film about two robbers)
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Lion King
Little Women
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Love Bug
Mary Poppins
Matilda
Men In Black
Miracle On 34th Street
Monsters, Inc
Mrs Doubtfire
The Muppet Movie
My Fair Lady
My Neighbor Totoro
National Velvet
(1944 horse film starring Elizabeth Taylor in which she trains a horse for an English horse racing event)
The Never Ending Story
The Nutty Professor (1996 version)
Oliver!
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl
The Princess Bride
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Railway Children
(1970 adaptation of a British children's novel about a family who are forced to move into the countryside)
The Red Balloon (1950s French film about a young boy and a balloon in Paris)
Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves
School Of Rock
Scrooge
(1951 British adaptation of A Christmas Carol)
A Shot In The Dark (one of the Pink Panther films)
Shrek
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
The Sound Of Music
Spider-Man
Spirited Away
Spy Kids
Star Wars
Stuart Little
Summer Holiday
(1960s film starring British pop star Cliff Richard in which he and his friends go on a European road trip on a bus, complete with songs)
Superman
Swallows And Amazons
(1974 adaptation of a British novel in which children have adventures in England's Lake District)
Swiss Family Robinson
Tarka The Otter
(1979 film adaptation of a book about an otter, narrated by Peter Ustinov)
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (1965 film that is essentially Wacky Races in the sky, with Edwardian eccentrics battling it out to fly across the English Channel)
Time Bandits (Terry Gilliam fantasy about a young boy and some adventuring drawfs)
Toy Story
Trouble In Store
(1950s film starring comedy actor Norman Wisdom, who's character has escapades in a department store)
Viva Las Vegas (Elvis film, which is where the song came from)
Watership Down (animated version of a Richard Adams novel concerning some rabbits in peril)
Whale Rider
Whistle Down The Wind
(Hayley Mills stars in this British classic about some children who find an escaped murderer in a barn and think he's Jesus when he blasphemes as they open the barn door)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
The Wizard Of Oz
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 100 Greatest Family Films: Vote Now!

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2005, 5:35 pm

Wonderlicious wrote:
Belleville Rendez-Vous (UK title for Les Triplettes de Belleville, a 2003 French cartoon about the Tour de France. In my opinion, the animation looks like 101 Dalmatians.)
Digby The Biggest Dog In The World (a 1970s tale about Digby, who is the biggest dog in the world. How ironic! :P)
Hans Christian Andersen (musical biopic starring Danny Kaye about the life of the Danish story teller, who wrote the original Little Mermaid)
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (1965 film that is essentially Wacky Races in the sky, with Edwardian eccentrics battling it out to fly across the English Channel)
While I am more that a little suspect at some of those "children's films" being on the list, I thought I'd mention some tidbits about these ones...

Triplettes' director Sylvain Chomet openly admits to the Dalmatians influence - in fact in a DVD supplement he specifically says that's the look he was going for, as he was a big fan of Disney's work of that time.

Digby, The Biggest Dog In The World, isn't the best one in that list by a long shot, but was a big kids favorite here in the UK for a long time. It was the film that got Jim Dale noticed by Disney for his part in Pete's Dragon, and is chiefly remembered for a hilarious scene where he must eat at a lowly diner where the knife and fork have been chained to the table, with too short a chain, leading him to slide the plate back anf forth between left and right!

Hans Christian Andersen was almost made as a joint production between Sam Goldwyn and Walt Disney. Yes, the obvious would have happened, with animated versions stepping in when Danny Kaye told a tale. A lot of pre-production work went into this, but it just slipped away. Walt tried to do it himself, but this was in the lean Package Feature days of the 1940s, after which Goldwyn simply went ahead and made a live-action feature that's mainly remembered nowadays for its songs rather than its long, drawn out story.

Maginificent Men: a great, fine comedy, of the really "big" variety they made back in the day (think "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "The Great Race", etc). Very funny, if a little overlong, and very recommended - Fox put out an unadvertised SE a few months back, with a documentary, commentary, featurette, gallery and trailers, for under $10. And the film is well over two hours anyway! A lot of value there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 10th, 2005, 4:40 am

Ben wrote:Hans Christian Andersen was almost made as a joint production between Sam Goldwyn and Walt Disney. Yes, the obvious would have happened, with animated versions stepping in when Danny Kaye told a tale. A lot of pre-production work went into this, but it just slipped away. Walt tried to do it himself, but this was in the lean Package Feature days of the 1940s, after which Goldwyn simply went ahead and made a live-action feature that's mainly remembered nowadays for its songs rather than its long, drawn out story.
Yeah, I know that. I actually remember when I first saw the film as a kid and wondered "why aren't the stories cartoons and not songs?". It was only until a few years later that I knew about how it could have been part animated...
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]