SpongeBob SquarePants

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 21st, 2006, 9:07 pm

The SpongeBob voice WAS changed. It's still Tom Kenny, however -->

According to Wikipedia, for some inexplicable reason, it was decided to play SpongeBob's voice HIGHER from Season 4 onward. I can't get over how some of you can't hear the difference. It's real obvious and you must not have seen the newer episodes.

I don't know why the change was made. Frankly, I don't like it. At least the new shows appear to be boarded well and the quality level has stayed consistently excellent.

Still, I wish they'd left the perfect voice alone.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2006, 10:53 pm

What was the voice in the movie. Higher, or lower?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2006, 12:00 am

I would say higher Ben. Many feel that the movie and onward is when Tom Kenny went up. Since I never commented on the issue, I did notice the change. Its not really bad, its just a little different. Of course I liked his original voice better, but I'm fine with his current one.
--------
Another issue people bring up, is how season 4 declined in plot/humor. Many think that some of the writers left, I didn't think anyless really.

However, recent episodes have been more enjoyable. It seems to be just as funny, if not more than earlier seasons. And that's coming from a big SB fan (I know shocking)

Anyway, people from another board have been writing into Nick. So if were lucky, maybe they can let Tom go back to his classic voice. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2006, 10:11 pm

The SpongeBob was made during the "hiatus" between Seasons 3 and 4.

Now I haven't seen the entire movie since theatrical release, but my impression listening to a few minutes of it since Nick started airing it on TV was that Kenny's voice is the SAME as Seasons 1-3.

The change in the voice -- the distinctly higher pitch -- comes Season 4 onward.

P.S. -- You REALLY think Nick won't make a Season 5 with its most successful character to date? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by schmoopy » November 25th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Spongebob's voice is higher and more nasal now. Definitely more childlike and less funny. I was very surprised to find out that Tom Kenny was still doing his voice. I want the old voice back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 26th, 2006, 7:16 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Now I haven't seen the entire movie since theatrical release, but my impression listening to a few minutes of it since Nick started airing it on TV was that Kenny's voice is the SAME as Seasons 1-3.
Hmm, I think your right, my mistake.

GeorgeC wrote:The change in the voice -- the distinctly higher pitch -- comes Season 4 onward.
That is indeed true. Nice that I'm not the only one who noticed.
GeorgeC wrote:P.S. -- You REALLY think Nick won't make a Season 5 with its most successful character to date? :lol:
Haha, yeah, I know. Whoever thinks that, is crazy. Its naive, to think Nick won't continue milking their most successful franchise.

Also, did you see how great it did in the ratings for the 24 hour marathon? Phenomonal!
schmoopy wrote:Spongebob's voice is higher and more nasal now. Definitely more childlike and less funny. I was very surprised to find out that Tom Kenny was still doing his voice. I want the old voice back.
Completly agree. And hey, there's always the chance of getting that old voice back after season four. I know its long shot, but one can hope.

Btw, welcome to the boards, schmoopy! :) I like your screename, it reminds me of Snoopy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

I hate the new spongebob

Post by 26footindian » August 27th, 2007, 11:48 pm

The season 4 and later spongebob episodes are so stupid compared to the first ones... Spongebob's higher pitched voice and the storylines are so annoying. Is there anything that can be done?? :evil:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 28th, 2007, 3:26 am

Nope. The only suggestion is to write to Nick, I'm afraid.

As for my opinion, the only real noticable change is Spongbob's voice. Its a little different, but its not so bad it makes me want to cringe all time.

Regarding the storylines.... Um, no. Season 4 was a mix bag, but nothing more annoying than usual. I mean, take a classic episode like "Secret Box" and a post classic like "Krusty Towers", and there's not much of a difference.

Also, you sound very familar, and not in a good way. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2007, 5:51 am

We had a Spongebob thread, I believe...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 28th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Click

Ok, where's my cookie? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2007, 7:34 pm

I owe you a packet! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 2nd, 2007, 2:26 am

Sounds good to me. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Toon-Kandy » September 3rd, 2007, 5:27 pm

I noticed the same thing! I truthfully think Tom's voice is awful now. Spongebob just sounds annoying and he isn't as funny and goofy as he used to be.

I honestly like the old Spongebob better.
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/OddGirl92/2Djapanese.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

spongebob

Post by dagwaging » October 15th, 2007, 11:43 am

Googled it, saw this, had to say something. I absolutely HATE seasons 4 and 5. The movie was great, I loved it. But I completely despise seasons 4 and 5. They are so lame and corny compared to the first three. The drawing style has changed too. Spongebob is perfectly rectangular now, instead of bigger at the top than the bottom. His chin is almost nonexistent and his lip sticks out. His nose is fatter. His colors are paler. I hate it. The 24 hour marathon? I could not believe the winner was Karate Island. It's about freaking real estate for god's sake! Karate Island is the season 4 episode I HATE the most. I want to march into Nickelodeon's office and yell "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????" I used to watch spongebob every day. Now I refuse to watch it at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

spongebob

Post by dagwaging » October 15th, 2007, 11:45 am

Googled it, saw this, had to say something. I absolutely HATE seasons 4 and 5. The movie was great, I loved it. But I completely despise seasons 4 and 5. They are so lame and corny compared to the first three. The drawing style has changed too. Spongebob is perfectly rectangular now, instead of bigger at the top than the bottom. His chin is almost nonexistent and his lip sticks out. His nose is fatter. His colors are paler. I hate it. The 24 hour marathon? I could not believe the winner was Karate Island. It's about freaking real estate for god's sake! Karate Island is the season 4 episode I HATE the most. I want to march into Nickelodeon's office and yell "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????" I used to watch spongebob every day. Now I refuse to watch it at all.