SpongeBob SquarePants

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2007, 10:55 pm

Party pooper! :P

Anyhoo, I saw another commercial today and its being built up as the first ever TV movie; which it is, surprisingly! And the premiere date is November 12th, at a time they did not disclose. So mark your calendar! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2007, 2:18 am

Nickelodeon's November SB highlights, including the plot for Atlantis Squarpantis: :)
CableTVTalk wrote:Nickelodeon's November 2007 Highlights:
Monday, November 12 from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. SpongeBob Marathon. On Monday, November 12 at 9:00 a.m., the 12-hour marathon begins by counting down kids' favorite SpongeBob episodes that are represented by every letter of the alphabet from "Z" to "A." The specific letter will either be in the episode title or connected to the episode thematically. The marathon kicks off with The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie as the letter "Z" is represented by Plan Z in the movie. The marathon culminates with the premiere of SpongeBob's "Atlantis SquarePantis" TV movie, which represents "A" for Atlantis.

Monday November 12, 8:00 p.m. Premiere of SpongeBob's First TV Movie "Atlantis Squarepantis" featuring Guest Star David Bowie.
- In the TV movie (8:00-8:45 p.m.), "Atlantis SquarePantis," SpongeBob finds the missing half of an ancient medallion believed to be a relic from the lost city of Atlantis and brings it to the Bikini Bottom Museum where the other half is on display. The two sides are reunited, and suddenly a magical van appears that beckons to take SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Squidward and Mr. Krabs to the legendary city of Atlantis. Each passenger, along with Plankton who has secretly stowed away in the van's glove compartment, is eager to experience the many riches the city is rumored to contain. When the van finally arrives, they are greeted by Atlantis' king himself, Lord Royal Highness (voiced by David Bowie), who spares no time in taking the visitors on a tour. Atlantis proves to be even more wonderful than anyone could have imagined, particularly for SpongeBob and Patrick who encounter the Oldest Living Bubble. But when a flash from Patrick's camera causes a mishap, SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Sandy and Squidward must run from the Atlantean Guards or find a way to make amends.

- Immediately following the TV movie (8:45-9:00 p.m.), Nickelodeon will premiere it's first-ever Nicktoon behind-the-scenes special, "Behind the Pantis: How We Made Atlantis SquarePantis." The special delves into how the TV movie was created, from the initial story pitch, writing, storyboarding, drawing and animation to the voice recording sessions.

- Friday, November 23 from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. SpongeBob SquarePants programming all day, including the TV movie Atlantis SquarePantis (7:00 p.m.), followed by four never-before-seen SpongeBob episodes (8:00 to 10:00 p.m.).
Oh good, another countdown marathon. Just watch, a 'recent' episode is gonna be #1 and we'll get a new member who will rant about it. Sad, but true...

Atlantis Squarpantis sounds awesome, though! Plus, its commercial free and it has David Bowie. Winning combination! :D

"Behind the Pantis" IIRC, is not the first of its kind; Rugrats was. Should be cool though, I love stuff like this.

Lastly, MORE new episodes? Man, Nick is just throwing 'em out. But eh, I'm not complaining. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 5th, 2007, 9:20 am

Yay! Plankton will be in the movie. He's my favorite character. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2007, 11:01 pm

He's not my favorite character, but I love Plankton's voice. Its... just GREAT. Lets see how big of role he gets.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 12th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Alright..."Atlantis SquarePantis" was SO dissapointing!

What a waste of a great idea. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 12th, 2007, 11:11 pm

I don't understand why Atlantis Squarepantis had so many songs. The tunes were certainly show-stopping - but not in a good way, I'm afraid. The time they used up could have went toward some more plot development.

Still, I wouldn't have minded the songs as much, if they, as well as the performances and visuals that accompanied them, were as fun and funny as the musical numbers in The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. However, in my opinion, the songs in Squarepantis lacked the energy, humor and memorability needed for the project. (I admit, though, that I liked some of the tunes' visuals, such as the animation during Krab's money song.)

By the way, it's ironic that almost every character received a musical number except for Lord Royal Highness - who was voiced by rock icon David Bowie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 13th, 2007, 12:26 am

I know, that's one of the problems I had with Atlantis Squarpantis. :( What a waste of having David in the first place! I also agree about the songs Josh, espicially with there being too much. Although, I think its because it was suppose to be a parody of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory. Don't tell me I was the only one who got that vibe? ;)

About the songs themselves, my favorite was Sandy's. The video game look was so cool!! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2007, 9:50 am

The thing is, they've been marketing this as a "Movie" when it didn't actually feel like a film at all.

I'll agree that there were too many songs, and that while some of them had interesting animation, most of them didn't serve any purpose at all.

Once they got to Atlantis (which didn't take very long), NOTHING happened until the last ten minutes. And once things were finally starting to get interesting, it ended abruptly.

And it's a darn shame about David Bowie, who sounds like he has a GREAT voice for animation. Too bad they didn't give him better material to work with (or a song, for that matter).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2007, 1:33 pm

He's pretty darn cool in Arthur And The Minimoys/Invisibles.

Great character design topped off with a haunting Bowie performance there. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Wow, really? I thought that they cut him out of the American cut of the film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2007, 2:34 pm

Nope.
Animated Views' review wrote:As the head villain, Bowie brings to mind his similar smart aleck part in Jim Henson’s <I>Labyrinth</I>, with a twisty-turny nature and coldness in his voice perfect for how his character looks. Perhaps even more than Selenia, Maltazard is easily the most successfully designed creature and makes a lasting impression because of such, coupled with some truly affecting animation.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Alright. Now I'm tempted to rent that film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2007, 7:39 am

Oh, yeah, it's definitely worth a rent!

Read my (or James' theatrical) review to get you in the right mood, and just stay away from the Beautiful Day music video by "Elijah". :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 16th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Havn't seen the film yet but i finished the PS2 game (and later i"ll get the DS).
It's not really biazzre like the movie,and the Atlantean people looks just... werid.
The king's name is Lord His Royal Highness? XD.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Best Spongebob SquarePants Video Game

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 18th, 2007, 12:06 pm

So... what's your favorite Spongebob game?.
I guess it's the movie game and Atlantis SquarPanties,maybe Lights,Camera,Pants! and Creatures From The Krusy Krab,too.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]