Boondocks

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Boondocks

Post by GeorgeC » November 12th, 2005, 1:18 am

Man, oh man, I TRIED to stay awake during the pilot episode, but this thing wore me out and I just fell asleep!

There was so much hype for this thing that I figured it'd all be a bunch of "sound and thunder signifying nothing."

I ALMOST hated to be right again about my gut feeling if not for the fact that I think the strip's/TV show's creator has a major st!ck up his !@#$S

Let's leave my personal feeling about the guy at that.

But honestly, it was poorly written, shock value for the sake of getting people riled up to watch this tripe, and was JUST NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Seriously, if you're going to be racially offensive and use the N-word a billion times, you'd better be funny.

Richard Pryor was funny. Eddie Murphy can STILL be occasionally funny if motivated. Red Foxx was funny until he stopped caring and just did things for the check.

Damon Wayans, balls-out, is the FUNNIEST member of the Wayans family and VERY underrated. I hope he finds his perfect vehicle soon, guys, because he's got potential to be the biggest comedian the country's had in a LONG TIME.

Aaron MacGruder, creator of Boondocks, ain't funny.

He just committed the biggest sin of all... Not being funny.

I guess that qualifies him as being a "humorist" in the vein of Garrison Keillor and Will Rogers. Those guys aren't funny, either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 12th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Yeah, well, I hate the Boondocks anyway.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 1st, 2005, 5:46 pm

The strip is, once in a while, quite funny. But, for the most part, it's incredibly offensive.

That being said, it is just plain stupid that a series based on a comic strip (which is printed in family newspapers) gets a TV-MA rating. Not only that, but it is shown less than an hour after the network's kid-friendly "Atomic Betty" and "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" are shown (at least, that's how it was when I last checked. I'm not all that familiar with their listings). Stupid, stupid, stupid, not to mention wrong!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 2nd, 2005, 4:51 pm

What WJ said. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Donryu » June 20th, 2006, 8:28 pm

I actually rather enjoy the series. I do beleive it actually brings up a few good points. I think the point-counterpoint of the offensiveness of the show is something that McGruder does well which is show how stupid either side can be. It's not just a typical black man thinks white man is racist against everything.

I would say watch more episodes.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 22nd, 2006, 4:04 pm

Food for thought: Does Huey ever smile? In the comic, that is.

Sad to say, I found the strips where the grandfather went to "Brokeback Mountain" amusing. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 2:49 pm

I guess that qualifies him as being a "humorist" in the vein of Garrison Keillor and Will Rogers. Those guys aren't funny, either.
The Simpsons has an episode (Season 5, "Marge on the Lam") that opens up with a satire of Garrison Keeler. It's sooooo funny.

Homer: "Stupid TV! Be more funny!"

:D :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » June 24th, 2006, 10:37 pm

It's a funny show I find:D. It doesn't take itself too seriosuly.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 20th, 2006, 3:27 pm

What's wrong with the show? It's very enjoyable and of course it's ten times better than The Proud Family.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 21st, 2006, 12:43 am

It has since grown on me a lot, and while I still hate the first episode, the rest of the show is hilarious (besides anytime they do the lol grandad hit riley with the belt lol stuff. I hate that).

I don't see how you can even compare The Boondocks and the Proud Family. what the hell?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 21st, 2006, 1:25 pm

Comparing "Boondocks" to "Proud Family" makes no sense at all to me.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 3rd, 2006, 4:12 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Comparing "Boondocks" to "Proud Family" makes no sense at all to me.
Well both seems were trying to be funny, Proud Family fails miserably at that, it took itself seriously and the finished product is not good plus the animation is just plain bad but The Boondocks that show is incredibly funny, doesn't take itself seriously and the animation is excellent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Code Horror...you have been asked before:

Please don't make full quotes to a post you are directly replying to.

In this case, it was just one line, but you have done it with much longer pieces and it just clogs up the page without reason. If replying to multiple points in a longer post, please edit the quotes down to what you are replying to.

It's actions like these that got movie man booted, y'know...

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 3rd, 2006, 11:13 pm

It's a ridcules reason why he got banned.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2006, 5:20 am

Well, he was asked several times not to do certain things, which he did not accept.

We have rules here and we expect them to be followed.

Your're heading the same way if you can not accept that this is a family ANIMTION site and not somewhere that anybody is really bothered about adult/horror specific content or language.

Please see that your Penn & Teller post has been deleted for these very reasons too.

Toe the line, or be booted out. Plain and simple.