Oscar Chat 2024

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Oscar Chat 2024

Post by James » February 29th, 2024, 6:14 pm

Join members of the Animated Views team and your fellow forum members for a live chat during the Oscar telecast! We'll be talking about the people, the fashions, the story-lines, the awards, and also keeping tabs on who is leading in the (soon to be announced) contest throughout the night!

We'll officially kick off the chat at 6:30pm EDT on Sunday, March 10th. Registered forum members can click the "Chat" link at the top of any forum page to enter the chat room.

Let's keep the chat room rated PG please. Violators may be kicked out.

Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Chat 2024

Post by Daniel » March 1st, 2024, 2:41 pm

Oscars are at 7:00pm EDT this year. It's also the first day of daylight savings time. Ugh.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2024, 8:28 pm

Oh, good. That means it starts at 11pm our time, instead of midnight, so I have half a hope of being in bed by…four or five in the morning, before dawn when I usually hear the birds waking just up as I'm trying to grab some shuteye! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2024, 12:27 pm

Nice. The first year in decades I'm going to miss the show is the one year it might end at a reasonable time! I moved the time an hour earlier. Hopefully that's OK with the team!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LizzieL » March 10th, 2024, 7:39 pm

Hi all - am I in the right chat?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 10th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Congrats to boy and the heron for winning animated movie and godzilla minus for best fx.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2024, 9:20 pm

And Jafar! So far a totally clean record for a win with only seven awards left to go! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2024, 9:29 pm

Awe…Zone Of Interest's sound just nudged him out of a clean run. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2024, 10:22 pm

Congrats to Jafar as our winner, with only two noms down!

JLFM comes second, losing out on just three, and AlexK, myself and a few others picking just four wrong nods, which I think is my best placing in terms of our staff picks!

Thanks for playing, guys, and for our very small but merry band of Chat friends that dropped by to have fun with the live show.

See you next year! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » March 11th, 2024, 1:34 am

Yay! Thanks a lot, Ben :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 24th, 2024, 11:39 am

Oscars change rules to let overseas animated movies (like studio Ghibli!) get more category nods!

It's a start.

https://www.indiewire.com/awards/indust ... 234976742/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2024, 4:23 am

I get the change, but several previous films already being voted on for BAF as well as international or documentary features kind of suggest this wasn’t really necessary? And there was nothing stopping other films from putting themselves forward for other categories, but the companies actually have to submit them. This won’t really change this, other than being able to send a lot more product (and, ergo, possibly more things that aren’t the best) into already crowded categories. Then again, maybe one or two breakthroughs might alert people to some more good stuff, but it already seems to me that, if it’s really worthy of being recognised, it will push its way through. And animation is still a ghetto as far as AMPAS is concerned, so it’s got that extra hurdle to jump over too…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 25th, 2024, 5:15 pm

From what I understand, there have been some animated films that have been submitted for Best International Feature that were ineligible for Best Animated Feature because they had not been shown in a cinema in the US during the eligibility period. From what I can gather, International Feature submissions don't need to open in the US to be eligible for that category (and why sometimes a movie would be nominated the following year in 'mainstream' categories after it got an International Feature nom or was submitted for consideration because it later opened inthe US)

This new ruling means that animated films that don't have a US distributor but are submitted for Best International Feature can now be considered for Best Animated Feature. I am assuming that without a US distributor they can't be considered for all the other 'mainstream' categories.