The Incredibles DVD

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 12th, 2004, 1:46 am

A bit of social commentary here ---

Now, I'm not the most politically correct guy out there, but I've always wondered about the two-faced nature of the entertainment business and all these corporate types and celebrities that say (ON CAMERA) they're for "saving the rain forest, conservation, and all that nice stuff."

Case in point about this hypocrisy --
Fact is, they (Buena Vista Home Video) waste an awful lot of trees and paper making those slip covers for the Disney deluxe 2-disc sets and the latest Pixar releases.

I have to wonder why since it's the SAME art that's on the insert of the actual DVD casing and the SAME information on the disc sleeve insert, too!

They're just wasting a ton of paper to have the DVDs stand out a bit and most people will throw away these slip cases anyway. (The paper slips also have a nasty tendency to get ripped and generally crunched up after a few weeks on the shelves being handled by 50 million different people!)

The slips DON'T improve the appearance of the DVDs (again, it's the EXACT same art and information that's on the slip insert and DVD insert booklets) and I just don't think it's a big selling point for most people.

It's a colossal waste of money (and energy for the printing presses) for Buena Vista Home Video to be producing these slips with the duplication of art and disc info...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 12th, 2004, 6:40 am

you should watch that episode of south park about the Rainforest, it points out that there really are a lot of reasons why we should not save the rainforest :D , so bring on slipcovers!!!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2004, 4:10 pm

Depends on the collector.

As someone who carefully archives all my films, books and collectibles, the slip covers on stuff I bought when DVD first came out still look as good as new.

True, I can't see why they do it when the artwork is literally reprinted from the cover art, but when they serve a purpose (like holding a digi-pak together, or the fold-out kind), they do dress up a disc a little nicer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » December 13th, 2004, 8:27 am

yeeaaahh!! I hope It's gona be a great DVD :) I can't wait !

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Incredibles: WS vs FS

Post by Chaya » February 9th, 2005, 4:10 pm

I have a question that I'm hoping that one of you may be able to answer for me. I was wondering if anybody knew whether or not the FS version of THe Incredibles will be like the FS version of Nemo, where the 'added' to the theatrical version's sceen on the top and bottom, or will it be like evey other FS dvd where the sides have been chopped off. I'll be getting the WS nomatter what (I'm hoping to some day get a digi projector), but I hate to miss any action at all.
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 10th, 2005, 12:56 am

I would assume that this being Pixar, and since the fullscreen version is getting its own 2-disc set, that the film would be recomposed/reframed. Unlike Nemo's flat aspect ratio, The Incredibles is in scope so that might make recomposing a bit harder - though A Bug's Life was scope too, and they did it there. All the action in the Incredibles compared to A Bug's Life might make recomposing more difficult as well.

Either way skip the fullscreen disc and stick with widescreen - you'll get the whole picture now and when you get the new tv!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2005, 8:18 am

Go widescreen. It's the original - and intended - framing.

Pixar are doing a recomposed edition, but as with A Bug's Life, this will mean a bit of opening up the top and bottom, a bit of chopping off the sides, and a bit of placing characters in different parts of the frame to get a balanced result.

It's an interesting curio to be sure, but although this technique is a clever way of pandering to the black-bar-hating folk, it remains true that this is not as was intended and is a "fix" to combat the truly devastating results of the pan-and-scan process.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Chaya » February 10th, 2005, 11:00 am

Thanks! This helps alot!..... though it makes me very curious as to why Disney Direct is only selling the FS version of the DVD...... I've typically preordered my movies from them because I've always recieved my stuff a day early (it's nice knowing that eveybody else has to wait a day longer to get their copy.... just kidding :P )..... not to mention the swanky lithos.......
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 10th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Too bad that they aren't having both versions on the same disc, like they did for "Monsters, Inc.".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Well, what that means is that there'll be some much better stuff on the disc!

Remember that most of those two disc sets contain the whole movie again - really they are very padded out single movie special editions!

At least with this disc, we'll get the movie and a truly packed collection of complimentary features with very little overlap!

Looks to be one of the best sets of the year already! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Incredibles dvd -- Can't wait!

Post by AniMan » February 24th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Thanks, Christian, for those stills from the upcoming Incredibles dvd. I love that they're going to spoof the Superfriends; that is HILLARIOUS! Especially can't wait to see the Jack-Jack short. Man, this dvd is going to be something else, I can tell! :D
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 25th, 2005, 1:52 am

I tried to reveal a little about each of those shorts without revealing too much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

9 Disney/Pixar 'Incredibles' DVD MENU Screenshots

Post by JustinWilliams » February 26th, 2005, 6:11 pm

DVDToons provides us with 9 lovely menu screenshots here: http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/749 :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

INCREDIBLES DVD REVIEW

Post by JustinWilliams » February 27th, 2005, 6:43 am

WWW.ULTIMATEDISNEY.COM now have their review of the DVD online!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » February 27th, 2005, 3:31 pm

Nice, detailed review :) Thanks for info !