AV's Best Of The Year Review

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Animated News' Picks Of 2004

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2004, 11:35 am

Check out our favorites and recommendations here:
http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002873.html

Agree? Disagree? Want to nominate your own lists? Let's hear what you liked in 2004!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 29th, 2004, 11:54 am

So... This is like... a list of highlights for this year?

Personally, if I was doing the list, Drawn Together would have been on there, as well as South Park. Granted South Park isn't new, but this year's episodes just shined brighter than they ever have. And, personally for me, Drawn Together is my new favorite show at the moment (Next to Lost, WHICH COMES ON TONIGHT! HEEHEE!). Drawn Together... sure, it's crude, and infact, does a lot of the stupid fart and poop jokes I ussually hate... but the way they do the show just... I'm able to tolerate it. And they blend the different animated styles together so well without them mixing. Especially spanky ham <3

Also, whoever said I,Robot: hell yes. that movie was friggen AMAZING.

And the incredibles of course.

Oh, and the spongebob movie. hell friggen YES.

So in conclusion um... Drawn Together is my favorite thing next to the incredibles, to come out in 2004 animation wise. I can't wait for next season.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » December 29th, 2004, 3:44 pm

In no particular order

Incredibles
Home on the Range
Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas
Mickey's Three Musketeers
Brother Bear DVD
Last edited by askmike1 on December 30th, 2004, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 29th, 2004, 3:46 pm

It was released on DVD this year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2004, 6:57 pm

Thanks for your additional personal picks!

Yeah, Brother Bear's DVD was issued this year (March I think). Glad I, Robot ended up being a good pick - hows about that Japanese import DVD set?!

But, really Mike... Twice Upon A Christmas??? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » December 30th, 2004, 7:06 pm

Ah, I forgot about that DVD. In that case, replace my last choice with the Brother Bear DVD (I loved that commentary by Rutt and Tuke).

As for Twice, I really liked that movie. It was a nice change for the fab 5 into CG, and I think Disney accomplished it rather nicely. Sure it would have been nice to have one story instead of several mini-stories, but I think the animation for all but one of the characters (Goofy) was done perfectly.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2004, 7:17 pm

I must admit to kinda linking the Huey, Dewey and Louie section, but Santa's Workshop really needed to be bigger than the "backroom" they ended up with (check the storyboards for this sequence to see the expansive look it would have had in hand-drawn animation).

Goofy was the least of the animation problems for me. Pluto worked surprisingly well, but it was Mickey and Minnie, with their stiff movements, no squash and streach and scary, soulless, shiny (!) eyes that appauled me on this one. Sorry, but check out the Philharmagic show at the park to see how Mickey CAN work in CGI.

Each to their own, though! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

AV's Best Of The Year Review

Post by Ben » December 24th, 2007, 4:59 am

We've just posted our top ten DVD picks of the year, including some other worthy titles and those to stay clear of, as well as our top three motion pictures!

Are your favorites here?
http://animated-views.com/2007/animated ... in-review/

Do you agree? What failed to make the cut that should have? Did we include something that you feel is overpraised?

<I>WHAT'S YOUR VIEW?</I>
Last edited by Ben on December 18th, 2008, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 24th, 2007, 10:10 am

Glad that Surf's Up is #2 on the top three motion pictures...That seems to be a very underrated film. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 24th, 2007, 11:45 am

A popular film that we liked so much that it got a double entry: #6 in our top ten discs too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 24th, 2007, 1:18 pm

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 24th, 2007, 4:57 pm

I completely agree with Cinderella III: A Twist in Time's inclusion in to the top 10! Yay!

As for Cinderella II: Dreams Come True, well, it got what it deserved... Still like it, though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 26th, 2007, 12:22 pm

I'm glad The Simpsons Movie got an honerable mention. While at first glance it might not seem to be as good as it would have been ten years (or more) ago, it improves immensely on repeat viewings. I got the dvd for Christmas and have already watched it twice (listened to the Matt Groening et al commentary the second time. Interestingly, at certain points they pause the movie to elaborate on what they're discussing so the commentary is actually longer than the film itself, the first time I've ever seen that happen). However, I'm not sure I would want to see a sequel. As it is, there's a chance the film may go down as a comedy classic (as the South Park movie seems to have done) so I think they should leave it at that cause there's no way they could ever top it (or I would be exremely surprised if they did).

I watched the first episode of the new post-movie season to see if the writing had improved since then and was, sadly, disappointed yet again. The show hasn't been good for at least the past five seasons and I'm left wondering why they haven't packed it in yet.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 27th, 2007, 1:58 am

I like that Surf's Up and Meet the Robinsons were included in the '2007 On The Big Screen: The Theatrical Toon Review' section of the piece. It seems to me that many critics and voters have forgotten and/or underrated those two films during this awards season.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 27th, 2007, 11:32 am

That's a problem that occurs when films open earlier in the year and subsequently have mid-year DVD releases.

Here's hoping they do well in the "official" awards season coming up. :)