AV's Best Of The Year Review

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 28th, 2007, 1:29 am

Here, here! :)
eddievalient wrote:I watched the first episode of the new post-movie season to see if the writing had improved since then and was, sadly, disappointed yet again. The show hasn't been good for at least the past five seasons...
Wow, strongly disagreed on both accounts. If you would've said the last two seasons I would agree somewhat, but the past five seasons!? :shock: I mean, (going by that) season 14 is when Jean started to be consistant and better after the trainwreck the previous showrunner left. (Mike Scully)

...Which lead to season 15 and 16, the two seasons wildly considered the best post-classic seasons, which I completely agree with. Honestly, between those two and season 9, (which is considered classic to some) I choose 15/16. Season 9, while it did have many great episodes, it was just to unbalanced, ie, holdover episodes showrunned by Jean/Reiss, Mirkin, Weinstein/Oakley combined with Scully, instead of just two producers; at least back in the old days.

Regarding the first post-movie episode, "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs", it is not, technically, a season 19 episode, its a season 18 holdover. So if you wanted to see if the movie had any affect on the show -which is debatable- you would have had to have seen "Funeral For a Fiend", the official start of season 19. I'm surpised you didn't like it, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » December 28th, 2007, 9:41 am

Oh... looks like nobody there liked Paprika...Or is it that only American films/dvds have been considered here??? Anyway, in my list Paprika is right there on top, alongside Ratatouille. Also, IMHO, Persepolis is undoubtedly one of the best animated films of 2007. Though I respect your personal opinions, but it surely is a little disheartening.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 28th, 2007, 11:02 am

Persepolis didn't open in the US until 3 days ago. And it is only in NYC (750 miles away from me) and LA (2000 miles away from me) right now. I think we put a little disclaimer on there about that.

Paprika wasn't completely left out - I included it in the major animation titles of 2007 released in HD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 28th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Yep, Persepolis didn't open in time (or at a location near enough!) for James to consider it in his appraisal.

With Paprika, the list was primarily made up of what the studios send us to review. If a studio doesn't send us a DVD it's something we're more likely to run out and pick up ourselves and get around to reviewing it when there isn't the constant stream of review product coming in. In this case, we don't get DVDs from Sony, and I'm for one only now getting around to picking this up (as mentioned in the New DVD Thread, I think), and that's because of the amazing buzz it's been getting. If it <I>really</I> knocks our socks off and we do a review in 2008, it may well get a mention in that round up. I think we also did mention that we didn't really dip into international titles this time around, but it's definitely something we're looking at for the future!

I was also very impressed by Asterix And The Vikings this year, but as it hasn't yet had an American release, I couldn't really sneak it in!

Don't be disheartened! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 30th, 2007, 1:11 am

Good artical :D.
Cinderella III should have been in the first place in my opinion but oh well.
Does Enchanted count an animated film? i didn't saw Surf's Up and Meet The Robinsons but i agree about Ratatouille was in the first place.
Cinderella II is in an allright altought i think it's cute and there were much worse sequel (like Pocahontas II and Little Mermaid II) but i"m suprised to see Peter Pan and Jungle Book Platinum Editions in that place (and since The Little Mermaid was the best Platinum Edition in my opinion) and Shrek The Third was that bad? (well,i felt that he was made just for money but it's not that bad).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Therese » December 30th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Well done, and anything I know about, I'm in agreement on.

I have GOT to get Surf's Up on DVD. I missed out on the theatrical run, and have heard nothing but positive reviews of it.

I think Ratatouille is going to go down as a major classic that will be seen and talked about for years, and its sheer "timelessness" is a big factor in that. I've had a lot of fun reading various comments on it from a lot of "10 Best" lists online. I will still be upset if Michael Giacchino doesn't get a best score Oscar nomination for this.

And, imperfect as it may be, Meet the Robinsons is going to hold a special place in my heart just for the great story arc of Bowler Hat Guy. I went to the theatre spoiler-free, and still remember how, sometime during his first visit to Inventco, the light bulb suddenly went on over my head and I realized where they were going with him. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2007, 3:39 pm

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Here we go again! The official Animated News & Views Best Of The Year is now up after my long computer issues.

http://animated-views.com/2008/the-best ... -its-over/

2008 was a bit of an odd one, for many reasons that you'll read in our article. While it was packed with goodies, nothing <I>really</I> jumped out as all time classics, while many disc offerings were upgrades of older material.

Do you agree? What failed to make the cut that should have? Did we include something that you feel is overpraised?

<I>WHAT ARE YOUR ANIMATED VIEWS?</I> :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » January 27th, 2009, 12:25 am

All I gotta say is that I missed having you on Animated Views there for a while!! I love reading all of your articles on there. And I love your signature there at the end, "Stay tooned!" :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2009, 11:09 am

Awwwee, thanks Zach! I love you reading them! Stay tooned! ;)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 27th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Thanks!

I want that Princess and the Frog poster and the Fraggle box too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2009, 4:45 pm

American Dog and Zach are one and the same! Who knew!?

BTW, that Princess And The Frog image was cooked up by yours truly...I'm not aware that there are any official posters out there yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 27th, 2009, 4:51 pm

I was wondering about that Princess and the Frog image, though assumed it was done by you or James. Nice!
Ben wrote:American Dog and Zach are one and the same! Who knew!?
Haha. ;)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 27th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I got fooled! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 7th, 2009, 10:54 am

But there will Princess And The Frog posters,also the picture you posted is a concept art that was posted.
Anyway the list good,I whould add TinkerBell there,The Sword In The Stone was a good release?.
I"m surprised to see Ariel's Beginning because you seem to dislike it.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]