Oscar Contest Archive

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 22nd, 2010, 4:12 pm

Just entered. Doubting I got many of them right, though. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » February 22nd, 2010, 8:24 pm

Wish me luck-if my entry is valid, since I am now a staff member...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 22nd, 2010, 10:01 pm

Just submitted my entry, though as I'm a staff member as well, I'm also not expecting any prizes. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 27th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Think it's going to be like last year, and frustrate EVERYONE who was just throwing darts.
It's still going to be Up for Picture (so had to pick Up for Score) and Avatar only going home with VFX and some major technicals...It was a long tossup between whether to Bigelow or Cameron would be showered with the Best Director that their pictures didn't get, but in the end, thought there would be more sweep for "Hurt Locker" without winning.

...I'm so going to lose this year, I know it. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2010, 5:44 am

I think Up for score is a shoo-in. But for picture? It's Avatar or Hurt Locker's race by any reckoning.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a Private Ryan/Shakespeare double at the end of the night: Avatar winning Cameron the director statue for his hard work, and Hurt Locker providing the honors for picture as it's more an Academy type movie and many of the producer voters may well begrudge its immense success.

It's going to be a close-call, interesting night, that's for sure. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 1st, 2010, 1:18 pm

There may be less momentum for Up than there was eight months ago when they were putting the ten-nomination stunt together in the first place--
But think the only reason Up doesn't have more majors (Director, Editing) is that it can't--An animated movie doesn't have Cinematography, it doesn't have Editing, and they may not be sure whether a Director qualifies. They may still be sweeps-motivated for it, it just may be hard to tell.

There's certainly less motivation for Avatar as a movie than there is for it being James Cameron's Movie He Made By Himself--
He's certainly a shoe-in for Director whether they liked the movie or not, but it's definitely going to be a split this year. But I'm expecting Hurt Locker to take the major sub-awards in place of either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » March 1st, 2010, 9:56 pm

EricJ wrote:An animated movie doesn't have Cinematography doesn't have Editing
I'm pretty sure they have editors. Even the editor's guild have nominated animated films for their awards in the past (Wall-E even won last year, I believe) and this year they gave them a separate category, which Up won.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2010, 1:54 pm

Of course they do. Hence Stanton pulling in the Coen Brothers' cinematographer Roger Deakins for the look of WALL-E, and one of my friends is Terry Rawlings, Oscar-nominated editor of many high profile films including...the animated Watership Down.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Animated Views 2010 Academy Awards Contest

Post by Whippet Angel » March 2nd, 2010, 8:16 pm

Ugh... I still can't believe Avatar actually got nominated for picture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 2nd, 2010, 11:16 pm

Heh, while I'm equally disgusted with the choice, I can at least understand the picture nod. It's nomination for Best Original Score, however, just boggles my mind...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 3rd, 2010, 7:53 am

I entered but it didn't say anything afterwords so i don't know if mine made it in.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 3rd, 2010, 8:20 am

After you enter it just takes you to the forum. If there is an error you get an error message or a blank screen.

Got yours Gaastra!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 4th, 2010, 8:34 am

PLEASE CHEK THE FIRST MESSAGE IN THIS THREAD TO SEE IF YOUR ENTRY IS LISTED AS HAVING BEEN RECEIVED.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 4th, 2010, 11:18 pm

File my entry in a safe place, good sirs!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 5th, 2010, 1:31 am

Don't by now we usually get the roster of who's voted and who hasn't?
(And whose names got lost in the misposting?) :)