Oscar Contest Archive

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm

What's ironic is that Ben, James and I really did not really distinguish ourselves! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2011, 4:50 am

That's what happens when you don't always pick who is obviously going to win, but who you would like to win (and possibly could) as if some kind of karma could affect the final results! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 27th, 2012, 3:09 pm

With all the '12 Oscar chat going on over on the snubbed-Tintin thread, thought I'd bounce the '11 thread back to the top--In time for this years contest/live-chat, hope-hope? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2012, 3:16 pm

I just mentioned to the guys today that I'm about to start coding the contest and we need to decide on prizes! When we're ready we'll start up a new thread for it. Good timing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » January 27th, 2012, 4:12 pm

James wrote:I just mentioned to the guys today that I'm about to start coding the contest and we need to decide on prizes! When we're ready we'll start up a new thread for it. Good timing!
Oo, if the traditional prize is copies of a set of the nominated Animateds, could you make it the Blu3D versions of Panda and Puss? :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

AV's 2012 Oscar Contest

Post by James » February 6th, 2012, 8:53 am

Animated Views is giving away a $50 Amazon gift certificate! All you have to do is predict who is going to win at the 84th Annual Academy Awards (to be held on Sunday, February 26th on ABC). The person with the most correct picks will win!

Make your prediction in each category using the form here. Don't forget to fill in your Animated Views forum username and the password (check your profile if you have forgotten). Not a forum member? Registration is free and easy so why not sign-up now! Forum registration is required to confirm your email address (so we can contact you if you win) and to weed out spambots.

All entries must be received by Friday, February 24, at 11:59pm ET. One entry per person please. If you send more than one entry, only the first one received will be counted. You can view and print your ballot any time on the ballot review page.

And don't forget to join us on Oscar night for a live chat! We'll talk about the people, the fashions, the story-lines, and the awards. We'll also be keeping track who is winning our contest in real time!

Full details are available on the contest page.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 6th, 2012, 11:07 am

Hey guys! Though the submission page looks the same, I've totally redone the back end of the contest entry pages. Please let me know of any errors or problems or bugs you find.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 6th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I already entered. I know I can't win the prize as a staff member, but it's still fun to play anyway. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 7th, 2012, 12:20 am

Here's a little trivia about the ballots received as of the first day: every entry so far agrees on who will win in 5 different categories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 7th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Yeah, but you deliberately made it tough requiring VFX and Animated to be the qualifying tie-breakers, and those were the two most frustratingly 50-50 categories this year besides Picture.

(For ex., VFX: Hugo to "validate" 3D for those not voting for Picture, or Apes to validate the push for Andy Serkis's mocap?
Animation, Rango as mainstream but too weird, or Chico & Rita as innovative alternative but not mainstream?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by laughingoctopus » February 7th, 2012, 5:35 pm

EricJ wrote:Yeah, but you deliberately made it tough requiring VFX and Animated to be the qualifying tie-breakers, and those were the two most frustratingly 50-50 categories this year besides Best Picture.
I disagree. Animation and Best Picture are the easiest categories to guess. Especially after the Annie's and Golden Globes, and all the Oscar predictors unanimously predicting The Artist for Best Pic and Rango for Animation, those two look fairly obvious. The acting catergories are the ones I had trouble with, as there is no clear front runner. I could end up being completely wrong about everything, but I think The Artist and Rango are the clear favorites for their respective catergories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 9th, 2012, 11:37 pm

I normally would say The Artist was a lock, but I'm just thinking about the Brokeback Mountain year when Crash won. The Help is a very similar movie to Crash going into this race. Both won a surprise SAG Ensemble (equivalent to Best Picture) and both are about race issues. And both didn't have an awesome amount of nominations. So both in theory had/have a lot of support from theacting branch who are the largest group in the Academy voters.

I'm not saying the Help would win, but using this bit of history it wouldn't surprise me if it did upset the favourite. Which kinda makes my predicting a little bit too hard, I guess the question is how much do I want to win LOL

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by brimicbed » February 10th, 2012, 12:23 am

Bill1978 wrote:I normally would say The Artist was a lock, but I'm just thinking about the Brokeback Mountain year when Crash won. The Help is a very similar movie to Crash going into this race. Both won a surprise SAG Ensemble (equivalent to Best Picture) and both are about race issues. And both didn't have an awesome amount of nominations. So both in theory had/have a lot of support from theacting branch who are the largest group in the Academy voters.

I'm not saying the Help would win, but using this bit of history it wouldn't surprise me if it did upset the favourite. Which kinda makes my predicting a little bit too hard, I guess the question is how much do I want to win LOL
Crash also won screenplay and editing in addition to being nominated for directing. The Help isn't nominated for any of these.

Some facts

Last movie to win Best Picture without also winning screenplay (but was nominated): Million Dollar Baby
Last movie to win Best Picture without being nominated for screenplay: Titanic
Last movie to win Best Picture without being nominated for directing: Driving Miss Daisy
Last movie to win Best Picture without being nominated for editing: Ordinary People

So those 3 are pretty important and having none of them pretty muh makes it impossble for The Help to win.

If there is an upset (which I doubt), it'll be Hugo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by laughingoctopus » February 10th, 2012, 12:29 am

brimicbed wrote:
If there is an upset (which I doubt), it'll be Hugo.
I respectfully disagree, I'd expect Moneyball or even Midnight in Paris before Hugo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 10th, 2012, 6:16 am

If Hugo wins, it will be the first PG film to win Best Picture since Driving Miss Daisy. So The Help would have just as much chance as Hugo if we want to use stats to support our arguments ;)

If I was a betting person, I would still put my money on The Artist though.