Readers' Choice Poll Archive

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Readers' Choice Poll 2013

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2014, 3:07 am

Yeah, but that's the ice on her vocal chords, right, just freezing around her voice a bit and not letting the warmth of her voice through, right? Right!? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 4th, 2014, 9:43 am

That actually makes sense. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Here are the final results of the Readers' Choice Poll!

http://animatedviews.com/2014/the-best- ... -for-some/

AV Founder
AV Founder

AV Readers' Choice Poll of 2015 animated films

Post by James » February 12th, 2016, 9:38 am

The Academy, Hollywood guilds, critics, and even the Animated Views staff are rendering their judgment on the top films of the year. But now it's your turn to make a selection. What was the best animated film of 2015? Cast your vote here:

http://animatedviews.com/avi/8/

We'll tally up all the numbers and reveal your choice in our upcoming Best of 2015 article.

Until then feel free to discuss your vote here!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: AV Readers' Choice Poll of 2015 animated films

Post by Bill1978 » February 12th, 2016, 6:06 pm

My top 2 were easy. But I really wish we could have had a Top 4 as I found it hard to separate Shaun The Sheep with The Good Dinosaur. I decided to go with Shaun because there is something skillful in creating a story where no one actually says anything and the plot is still easy to follow.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 13th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Given that I figured that Shaun, Peanuts, and Hotel T 2 are going to get plenty of votes on this thing, I decided to give my "number three" to Home, which I thought was a cute and very likable film.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 13th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Over to Rand's son, Parker, who has a terrific quote. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Parker on Home: "That film just didn't make much sense."

When you've lost the 8 year old in the audience, you know you're in trouble.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2016, 7:01 pm

I'll try to watch at least one more before I vote, but Inside Out has it wrapped up for Number One for me. I thought it was brilliant. Of the others, I've actually only seen Home (blah) and When Marnie was Here, which I really liked.

My tastes suggest I will like Shaun The Sheep (who doesn't love Aardman?), The Prophet (which I just bought today) and Peanuts (3D preordered).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 14th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Looks like Inside Out will be predictably hard to beat at the Oscars: it just won the Best Animated Feature award at the Bafta ceremony. (Star Wars took VFX.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 14th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Star Wars took VFX? For whatever reason, I expected Mad Max to be a lock in that category.

And I has no apologies for enjoying Home. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 14th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I totally see SW taking home the Oscar, as a way to acknowledge the film and the many practical things in it, but it's a total nostalgia-fest for sure.

Max, on the other hand, probably won't win for the same reason: they also went out of their way to say evetything was done old-school "for real", and everyone went and believed them! It was only when I saw the VFX reel that I was blown away for a second time, but it may already be too late to appreciate it for the wider Oscar voters.

I agree that Max should probably nab this, and does deserve it, but it's Star Wars' year and ILM's prize to take home. I'm fully expecting John Williams or Ennio Moricone to take the Best Score award, too, based purely on nostalgia and a "final" reward for two outstanding talents that have given us such great music. Moricone has won a few gongs this awards season already, but I wouldn't put it past Williams to take the Oscar, again both as a way to acknowledge the film, his contributions to it, and the legacy of amazing work he will leave behind.

I'm not sure either Williams or Morricone actually deserve the win (Williams, by and large, programmed in the required saga themes at the right moments, while Morricone's Hateful Eight, while possibly being the best thing in a very long, indulgent and downright b-o-r-I-n-g film, isn't the best he's ever come up with), but I figure it will go to one of them, my choice being Williams as it's likely the last time he will be nominated (well, both of them, but his body of work is both so much more nuanced and accessible).

And, for the record, I haven't seen Home yet - it's currently yet another of the past two or three years' worth of animated films that I have on the shelf waiting for the completion of my home theater before I sit and binge on them all...!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 15th, 2016, 10:40 am

I'm not saying that Mad Max should beat Star Wars (I'd be happy if either film won). Just saying that it seems to be getting more love in the technically categories prior to now.

The whole "they did it all for real" combined with George Miller saying that "you won't see any CGI" and that "no green screen was used" was inexcusable, though, as the movie has more than 2,000 special effects shots and plenty of computer-generated imagery. Star Wars, similarly, actually has more CGI in it than The Phantom Menace (which actually had a lot more practical effects and sets than it's usually given credit for, complete with them shooting for several weeks in the desert).

This article--which may or may not have been what Ben was referring to--is a quite fascinating look at the effects that brought Mad Max to the screen. It's pretty amazing stuff...just a shame that Miller pretty much lied about it beforehand.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-grap ... fury-road/

AV Founder
AV Founder

AV Readers' Choice Poll of 2016 Animated Films

Post by James » December 22nd, 2016, 9:29 pm

Critics, the Academy, Hollywood guilds, and even the Animated Views staff are rendering their judgment on the top films of the year. But now it's your turn! Which of the thirty listed is the best animated film of 2016? Cast your vote here:

http://animatedviews.com/avi/9/

We'll tally up all the numbers and reveal your choice soon.

Until then feel free to discuss your vote here!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: AV Readers' Choice Poll of 2016 Animated Films

Post by Bill1978 » December 23rd, 2016, 4:00 am

Any ideas of the closing date?