Oscar Contest Archive

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 2015 Oscar Contest

Post by Randall » February 18th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Come on over here, then. A local theatre is having a free screening of the Oscars on the big screen! Sure, it's a lot of expense for you to fly over, but think of all the other tsuff we could do while you're here! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2015, 5:10 am

See...that's a great idea! Both of them!

That's cool that somewhere local is doing a showing, but no such luck here. And it would be very cool to come over (and I like how excited you were that you couldn't spell "stuff"...but then, I know how you are with typos, being a connossieur and all).

Okay...checked with Jen and we're good to go - should be there about ten minutes before the Oscars starts. Is that enough time to get to the theatre?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2015, 7:45 am

Make it 20 minutes. We have to drive downtown.

I have to stop rushing my typing. Darn typos.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2015, 10:26 am

Okay, I was just sooooo tempted to go in there and edit that last post and not say anything, just to mess with you, to...
Randall wrote:I have to stop rushing my typing. Darn tpyos.
;)

Okay...twenty minutes. It's going to be tight as the flight doesn't get to Calgary until late afternoon, plus the drive to to yours, so I'll have to put my foot down in the rental car I just booked, but it's doable, I think, so long as I don't get lost.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Calgary is a 7-8 hour drive to here. Sorry, looks like it's a lost cause, dude.

Of course, the flight from Calgary to here is only an hour...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2015, 7:23 am

Right...er...that's what I meant. Of course.

Just booked that this morning, should be with you about half an hour before it starts.

(Gee, folks, won't it be funny to see Rand's face when I actually show up? I'll post a photo!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2015, 8:29 am

Ballot posted! Can you confirm, please, James...wasn't sure I used the right forum password. As always, some are educated guesses, some are random guesses and some are just hopes for the eventual winners.

See you guys on the chat Sunday, if I make it to Rand's in time!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 20th, 2015, 9:39 am

Ben wrote:Ballot posted! Can you confirm, please, James...wasn't sure I used the right forum password...
I don't think it will let you submit with a wrong password.

For Ben and everyone else, you can ensure you're ballot was received by visiting this link: http://animatedviews.com/contest/oscar2015/results.php

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 2015 Oscar Contest - FRIDAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER!

Post by James » February 20th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Just a heads up for everyone that we trimmed down our official staff list this year. That means that two-time winner Jafar is now eligible for the prize for the first time! So watch out for him this year!

Also TODAY is the last day to enter!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Randall wrote:This year, I'm hoping to finish no worst than third last, and/or at least ahead of James' wife.
Tami just filled out her ballot and told me tell you you're going down!

Also my 12 year old son entered for the first time and his (mostly random) ballot actually looks pretty plausible so I'm hoping he doesn't beat us all!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 23rd, 2015, 12:57 am

Congratulations to our two winners! dgaspar and Unbreakable Samurai both correctly picked 19 out of the 22 categories we count and are our 2015 co-champs! dgaspar is the fourth person to win in multiple years, previously topping the game in 2006.

But while both get the title, unfortunately there can be only one prize winner.

The first tie-breaker is whichever person got the most animation-related categories right (Animated Feature, Visual Effects, and Animated Short). Both players got two out of three right. BTW only three people out of the over 80+ playing got all three of those right!

The second tie-breaker is whichever person got the most right out of the two categories that don't count towards the main score (Live Action Short and Documentary Short). Unbreakable Samurai got one right, but dgaspar got them both right.

Therefore dgaspar is the winner of the gift card!

Thanks to everyone who played! You can see how you did here: http://animatedviews.com/contest/oscar2015/results.php

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2015, 8:23 am

Well done to our winner(s) and thanks to everyone who entered - see you again next year! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jashack » February 23rd, 2015, 9:04 pm

Not that it matters, but I was reviewing my picks with the results page and noticed I had been given credit for Adapted Screenplay when I had actually picked "The Theory of Everything."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 24th, 2015, 2:11 am

Yikes! I accidentally entered Theory of Everything into our database as the winner rather than The Imitation Game. That will change a lot of scores but, luckily for us, it doesn't change the winner.

Thanks for the heads up!

AV Founder
AV Founder

2016 Oscar Contest

Post by James » February 1st, 2016, 11:16 am

Animated Views is giving away $50 worth of movies — your choice of either an Amazon gift card or a Fandango gift card — during our 12th Annual Oscar Event! All you have to do is predict who is going to win at the 88th Annual Academy Awards (to be held on Sunday, February 28th, and televised on ABC). The person with the most correct picks will win!

Make your prediction in each category using this form. Don't forget to fill in your Animated Views forum username and password (check your profile if you have forgotten and to confirm that your email address is still correct). Not a forum member? Registration is free and easy so why not sign-up now!

The reason we require forum registration is because it's an easy way for us to confirm your email address and to weed out spambots — you never have to actually use the forum if you don't want to and, other than a message to confirm your address (and another if you win!), we do not send forum members emails.

All entries must be received by Friday, February 26th, at 11:59pm ET. One entry per person please. If you send more than one entry, only the first one received will be counted.

And our Oscar Event will continue with live chat during the telecast! We'll talk about the people, the fashions, the story-lines, and the awards. We'll also be keeping track who is winning our contest in real time! Results will also be posted online as the awards are announced.