Forum Update (3/2015)

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Forum Update (3/2015)

Post by James » March 1st, 2015, 3:55 pm

As I'm sure you've probably noticed, we've updated our forum software! It should mostly be familiar to you but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also please be on the lookout for any bugs or other issues and let us know so we can ket them fixed. Over the next week I'll also be applying some last minute styling changes and other additions.

The biggest new feature I'd like to point out is that the forum is now mobile friendly. Whatever size screen you use, the site will adjust to give you the best experience. You can actually test it out if you're on a computer by resizing your browser window.

Thanks for your support guys!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 1st, 2015, 7:11 pm

Not too shabby. The only real complaint is the avatar placement, which I'm thinking is one of the "styling changes" coming. At least I hope. ;)

Also, I'm not seeing the chat option. Just mentioning in case it might be an IE issue.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Forum Update (3/2015)

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2015, 11:55 pm

I'm missing the "read new posts" button.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2015, 4:50 am

I don't mind the avatar placement really, and have got used to it pretty quick...I quite like that you can read the messages on the left side...though I do find myself zipping my eye over to the right to see who' sporting, and in the left it's a bit more in vision and I just used to pick thay up without really looking. So I'd be good either way.

The chat room has yet to be added in to this new version, but it's coming!

For the new posts, on the top left Quick Links options, there's the New Posts selection there. I've actually had the Forum bookmarked to the new posts page for a good few years now, so whenever I come to it, it's directed to the new posts. Although the Forum has changed, this bookmark still brings me direct to the new posts.

If you want to use it too, it's at:
forum.animatedviews.com/search.php?search_id=newposts

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2015, 4:43 pm

Let's give the avatar placement some time to see if it grows on us. I kind of like having the content all on the left but the avatars on the right is jarring!

Chat room will definitely return!

Ben is right on about the "read new posts" link. But that may be something that needs a home outside that quick links menu -- one click is quicker than two!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Love the new look...it is definitely easier to access on my phone. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 5th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Glad to hear it.

A few tweaks live today: chat room is back (but needs a few minor fixes), a link to AV is on the navigation bar, and a link to see all new posts is back where it used to be on the forum front page.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Still not fond of the you-know-what. :? It's an eyesore. We read from left to right and the first thing I want to know about a post is who's posting. It makes me feel like I'm reading an archive thread on some forgotten forum.
James wrote:A few tweaks live today: chat room is back (but needs a few minor fixes),
Uh, I'm still not seeing it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 6th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Chat is up there, in the same line as Quick Links, next to the link to AV.

I also prefer the avatars/names on the left.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 6th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Like I said, I prefer left too, but wanted to give it time just to make sure that I didn't just prefer because I was used to it that way!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2015, 4:39 am

I actually didn't mind the right avatars, since who was posting was still top left of each post, but now I see it like this again it does feel more familiar and, in the shadow of Nimoy's death, logical.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2015, 12:18 pm

As Ben notes, new tweak today: profile blocks are back on the left! However, if you did prefer it on the right there is now an option to switch for each user:

- Click the drop down menu at the top right of the page (with your username and avatar) and select "user control panel".

- Click the "board preferences" tab

- Click "edit display preferences" link on the left side of the page

- Choose "no" on the "Display post profile left" option

In case you never noticed, the forum has lots of per-user options you can choose from on those control panel pages.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 8th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Yay! Classic! Let us never speak of it again. :)

Getting back to the chat, I've looked where Rand said and again I don't see it. Here's a screen grab of how I see the forum logged in:
AV.jpg
AV.jpg (199.15 KiB) Viewed 17905 times
Now, my eye sight is all kinds of things but I don't think I'm THAT blind. So, am I Magooing or what?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Yep, definitely something wrong! I'll look into it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Should be working for everyone now!