Oscar Chat 2016 -- STARTS THIS SUNDAY AT 7:30pm ET

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Oscar Chat 2016 -- STARTS THIS SUNDAY AT 7:30pm ET

Postby James » February 1st, 2016, 11:11 am

Join members of the Animated Views team and your fellow forum members for a live chat during the Oscar telecast! Not only will we talk shop, we'll also keep a running live update of who is leading in our Oscar prediction contest throughout the night!

We'll officially kick off the chat at 7:30pm ET on Sunday, February 28th. Registered forum members can click the "Chat Room" link at the top of any forum page to enter the chat room.

CHAT ROOM NOTES:
- Let's keep the chat room rated PG please. Violators may be kicked out!
- The Flash plugin is needed to access the room.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Chat 2016 -- STARTS THIS SUNDAY AT 7:30pm ET

Postby ShyViolet » February 27th, 2016, 11:41 am

Yay!! Can't wait! :)
"It is written among the limitless constellations of the celestial heavens, and in the depths of the emerald seas....the world which we see is an outward and visible dream of an inward and invisible reality."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby AskTheTicketGuy » February 28th, 2016, 12:38 am

LOL. Brilliant marketing guys. Go to the trouble to have an Oscars contest but end it two days before the Oscars even take place.
Who is even looking for an Oscars contest two days before the event? That would be like ending Super Bowl betting two days before the game.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » February 28th, 2016, 1:04 am

We've had an Oscar contest for 12 years in a row and you're the first person in all that time to complain that we end it the Friday night before the show!

We end the contest Friday night in case there are any issues with someone's ballot we have time to fix it before the show. I then spend Saturday doing the last minute things like computing the contest stats and making sure our automated live scoring system works with the actual ballots. Then I write up a story for the front page showing everyone what the consensus is in every category. That last reason is why I am up at almost 1am -- so I can have it posted by the time everyone wakes up in the morning.

This year's game has been running for a month! We're a couple of guys running this for fun for our readers, not for marketing purposes. We do this in our spare time, we're not a corporation with a huge budget paying someone to handle it for us. The prize literally comes out of my personal bank account.

There are PLENTY of other Oscar contests on the internet. Please go troll one of those sites you've never visited for free stuff.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » February 28th, 2016, 1:25 am

I can already tell that AskTheTicketGuy is going to be a very valuable member around here.

Maybe he's "Code Horror" making a long-awaited comeback?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » February 28th, 2016, 4:32 am

I think most contests have a cut-off date before an announcement is made, so that the results can be correlated in time for a deadline, in this case, the Oscars.

Or...here's an idea...maybe we could just leave it open and let people makes their picks *durng* the ceremony or even after it!? That would at least ensure a few more winners and be "fair", right?

Seems to me, since TicketGuy hasn't entered, that someone *was* looking for an Oscar contest two days before the event...and left it too late to enter!

Besides, this isn't even the Oscar contest thread and for a first time poster to come in and criticize the way something is run when we just do this for fun and offer a generous prize out of our own pocket is just plain rude.

With just one post and comment, you certainly have your card marked already, TicketGuy. Welcome to our boards, I guess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby Bill1978 » February 28th, 2016, 5:04 am

Perhaps Ticket Guy is annoyed that the competition closed before the Sound Editing Guild (or was it the Sound Mixing Guild) announced their winner. That was the only Guild that didn't announce their pick. Either way, I always appreciated the effort of the competition and what I usually view as a fun activity. I appreciate that the prizes come from your hip pocket. And the couple of times I've been able to have enjoyed the chat room. Unfortunately, this year won't be one of those times I can participate. Perhaps I should complain to the Academy about its selfishness in not aligning their night with a more suitable time for Australian workers.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » February 28th, 2016, 11:12 am

Or British ones - the ceremony will run from 1am through past 5am here!