2016 Oscar Contest

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: 2016 Oscar Contest

Postby James » February 29th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Vernadyn wrote:Wow, only James got Visual Effects correct. I was about to say, "What? No one guessed Mad Max would win?" but then I remembered that Ex Machina had gotten it. And I had watched the whole ceremony too, which just goes to show how quickly I had forgotten Ex Machina's win. (No reflection on the film itself, which I haven't seen yet. In fact, I didn't watch a whole lot of movies this year.)...

I'm still shocked I was the only one predicting Ex Machina for VFX. Star Wars and The Martian were great but really more of the same. Mad Max was cool but just a different kind of more of the same. Ex Machina was unique, gave viewers that wow moment when they first saw some of the effects, and all done of the cheap. I really thought it was going to be a popular pick when I filled out my ballot.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Postby Dacey » February 29th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Now I wish I had seen it. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » February 29th, 2016, 9:43 pm

It splits opinions, but the vfx were great.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 1st, 2016, 9:44 am

Even I will agree to that, though I found the logic in the film so sorely and sadly lacking as to be insulting to the audience.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Randall » March 1st, 2016, 11:51 pm

Spoken like a true film editor.

But true enough. I liked Ex Machina quite a bit, but the logic breaks down if you examine it too closely, though I differ with Ben on how egregious it is.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » March 2nd, 2016, 12:10 am

The Martian was a lot of fun too but I can rip that thing to shreds with logical errors! Sometimes you have to just enjoy where the film takes you. What I really liked about Ex Machina was how unique it was and how I had no idea what direction the story was going to go while watching it.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 2nd, 2016, 4:50 am

See...I guessed it almost right from the start.

Not that I was looking...but all too often these kinds of things just appear right in front of me. Then, if the film doesn't set up its own rules and play by them, my mind starts to wander and I start noticing all the mistakes and gaps. Ex-Machina, which I really want d to like, had too many of them.

The Martian, on the other hand, was equally filled with gaps in logic (and the so-called scientific accuracy that they kept on about, redundantly), but it was just so well directed and performed with a lightness of touch and humor that just skated it through. With that one you really *could* enjoy it on its own terms, while Machina crushed under the weight of its overblown pomposity.

Good effects though. ;)

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » March 2nd, 2016, 9:34 am

That happens to me too, but not this time. Another reason this one had me interested was because the tone was different than anything I'd seen in awhile. And I actually liked most of the performances. But I don't think the story issues were of a deal-breakers as you did!

Just to be clear, while having no idea what direction a story is going in while watching it is a fun experience for me as a movie-goer, that doesn't mean it always works. One of the reasons I was so disappointed in Tomorrowland was that for the first 3/4's of the film I was loving not knowing what was going to happen next. Then it just kinda ended without a direction!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 2nd, 2016, 11:42 am

If you want a different tone, you should see Under The Skin...

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby James » March 2nd, 2016, 1:41 pm

Is that the one with ScarJo? I think it hit around the same time as Lucy. Ex Machina was Shakespeare compared to Lucy!

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Postby Ben » March 2nd, 2016, 1:52 pm

Yep. Lucy is dumb fun though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Postby Bill1978 » March 3rd, 2016, 6:40 pm

Cannot believe that I managed equal second. Totally stoked. I shall keep using the strategy I used until I win LOL. Although I have learnt that perhaps BAFTA is a better guide to use than the GGs for acting awards that SAG can't help me with. And I really should learn that Sound Mixing and Sound Editing are considered the same thing with the Academy voters. Is it too early to call that it seems the Bond songs have replaced Disney songs as the default winners of Original song?

Thanks again for running the comp team