Oscar Contest 2024

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Oscar Contest 2024

Post by James » February 29th, 2024, 6:32 pm

You're invited to our 20th Annual Oscar Event!

The festivities start with Animated Views giving away $50 worth of movies — your choice of either an Amazon gift card or a Fandango gift card — during our Oscar Contest. All you have to do is predict who is going to win at the 96th Annual Academy Awards (to be held on Sunday, March 10th, and televised on ABC). The person with the most correct picks will win!

Log into your Animated Views Forum account to play. Not a forum member? Registration is free and easy so why not sign-up now! You never have to actually use the forum if you don't want to. We never give away or sell any of your information. And other than a message to confirm your address (and another if you win!), we do not send any emails to forum members.

Make your prediction in each category using this form. All entries must be received by Saturday, March 9th at 11:59pm ET. One entry per person please. If you send more than one entry, only the first one received will be counted.

On Oscar night we'll keep a live running score of who is winning the contest.

You can view and print your ballot any time on the ballot review page.

After you've entered, don't forget to come back here to the Forum to discuss your predictions with other AV readers.

Then be sure to check out past contests and winners in our Oscar contest record book.

For the grand finale of the Event, join us for a live Oscar chat on March 10th during the show. We'll be talking about the people, the fashions, the story-lines, and the awards, and also keeping tabs on who is leading in the contest throughout the night.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Contest 2024

Post by ohmahaaha » March 3rd, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thank you guys for doing this once again - it's always fun!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 3rd, 2024, 7:06 pm

Did the poll. I do awful every year but still have alot of fun voting anyways.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 3rd, 2024, 7:13 pm

gaastra wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 7:06 pm
Did the poll. I do awful every year but still have alot of fun voting anyways.
I tried to send you a PM but I guess it didn't go through.

You were the first person to get your ballot in... but I discovered a problem with the contest right after. You need to re-enter the contest. So sorry about that.

Do check your PM's to see if you got my message but I don't see it in my sent box so something must have went wrong.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 4th, 2024, 9:52 am

You got it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 4th, 2024, 10:36 am

I'm having an issue where after I log into the forums and then navigate to the Oscars Contest page, it still says that I'm not logged in, hence I can't submit my picks.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 4th, 2024, 10:57 am

I just submitted my totally uninformed picks. Having only seen Spidey and Oppenheimer, I didn't have much to go on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 4th, 2024, 8:38 pm

OK I seem to have gotten it to work now. I had to use my phone.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 4th, 2024, 10:19 pm

Sorry about that! Not sure what the issue was. Only thing I can think of is if you had privacy mode enabled or cookies disabled.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2024, 3:59 am

Ready to make my picks tomorrow, after seeing Poor Things tonight, which I’m really lookimg forward to. Then I think I've managed to see most of the more mainstream films and nominations, albeit apart from Oppenheimer, which I really just can’t muster up the enthusiasm or hours for, but know it’s going to take the big awards anyway, since it’s Nolan's time, and so just because.

Not that it was nominated for the Oscars, but was elsewhere, but we did Saltburn a few nights back, and…yeah. Emerald Fennell never seems to fail when taking someone else's concept — in this case Harold Pinter's The Servant — and just…making it again, if a bit more extreme.

Most people have said it’s "gross", but I just found it more weird than anything, with a lack of logic in wanting to be that weird that didn’t ever add up. And the poncey, artsy-fartsy use of the Academy ratio was surely a case of "trying too hard" if ever we saw one, which I had kind of feared from the Kubrickian trailer. Oh, if she only had the talent of one of Stanley's fingernails, Fennell might make better films, as opposed to the riffs on many things we’ve seen many times before.

Then again, if you’re going to rip anyone off, Pinter isn’t a bad place to start…! It’s just the annoyance that the "kids" seeing it are totally unaware that "the twist" is nothing new, and far, far, far from the mind-blowing revelation it thinks it is. Must try harder.. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 6th, 2024, 5:12 am

And once again, the annual tradition, as a public service to those who had no idea what the OTHER eight nominated Pictures were about, but weren't planning to subject themselves to Poor Things:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 6th, 2024, 9:09 am

ibrmacf wrote:
March 4th, 2024, 10:36 am
I'm having an issue where after I log into the forums and then navigate to the Oscars Contest page, it still says that I'm not logged in, hence I can't submit my picks.
ibrmacf and now another user had issues with the ballot not automatically recognizing they were logged in to the forum. If anyone has this issue here are a few ideas to try:

- make sure you're not using private mode, incognito mode, or the like
- make sure cookies are enabled in your browser, or at least for animatedviews.com and forum.animatedviews.com
- log out of the forum then log back in but make sure the "remember me" option is selected
- try using your phone

If none of these work, just email me your picks along with your forum name and email and I'll manually get you entered.

For next year, I'll make a back-up ballot that lets you enter your forum details yourself for when the automatic ballot doesn't work.

Sorry about the trouble to those having this issue!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2024, 6:45 pm

EricJ wrote:
March 6th, 2024, 5:12 am
…but weren't planning to subject themselves to Poor Things…
And that would be a shame…for level-headed, intelligent viewers willing to look outside their usual box.

Just ran it tonight and, boy, what an experience. Totally mental, b@t$#!t crazy, but beautiful, strange and compelling, like the best of Gilliam. I hope it does really well on Sunday.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 6th, 2024, 11:38 pm

Oh, good. That's the one other nominee I'm most interested in checking out. Sounds right up my alley.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2024, 3:48 am

Yeah…not sure this is your kind of thing, though…

Did you see The Lobster and Killing Of A Sacred Deer? They’d be pointers towards if you thought you might enjoy it. It’s very graphic! I even had to look away at one shot early on (those that have seen will know the one). There are Burton-esque elements, too, but they’re likewise taken to their "illogically logical" and graphic extremes…

I’m torn on getting the disc. After watching I felt that I’d seen it and that was good enough, but it’s a bit like EEAAO in that it’s been sticking with me. I didn’t return to EE until months later, and then loved it, so this might happen here.

I think I’ll skip for now. The HD I have isn’t going to be markedly different from the Blu only disc release (and the sole making of that’s on there was uploaded to YouTube as part of the marketing, so that’s easily seen too), but if it does well on Sunday (and Sony) there may be a 4K down the line.

I’m thinking I’m waiting to see how I feel about it in a few weeks/months, and willing to miss the slip if need be. I lucked out on EE because not many people bought it and I got one with the slip, so I might be lucky here too since not many people seem willing to check it out.

Like Saltburn or Triangle Of Sadness, it’s going to be an acquired taste, for sure, but unlike those films, it’s not crap! It’s not one I’d be too thrilled to double dip on, though, so am committed to waiting a while, but could just see a 4K with a director/Stone commentary pushing me over the edge.