New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 5:26 am

Yeah, the Treasures' biggest gaffe was putting out an entire wave of hardcore titles one year. Obviously the big guns were up front, but as things went on they became heavily leaned toward stuff only the hardest of hardcore fans would want. That’s actually cool, but only make that one or two of the yearly three/four title wave, and let the big titles carry lesser sales for the smaller ones.

I think one year we had the Your Host set (which already got grumbles for overlapping content) along with Swamp Fox, while another brought us MMC and Annette — great to see and have but not stuff that was going to set the shelves alight — and the line got a bit bogged down in Disneyland episodes. I loved that stuff, but it wasn’t always appealing to wider, casual fans, and they needed to spread those out more with that wider stuff.

A Disney Education was said to include both Jiminy series (I’m No Fool and You..., natch), along with additional educational titles right from Tommy Tucker's Tooth, the Goofy drivers ed shorts and some character driven films that didn’t fit in any specific category, right up to a film from 1983 (I think) that I can’t remember the name of right now which I think had Goofy in it.

Around The World is less specific, but this was said to be built around the People & Places series of travelogue shorts, as well as some theme park-only presentations, perhaps like Italia 61, Canada 67 and Magic Carpet Round The World? One of the shorts, the sneakily included Disneyland USA, was already put out in one of the Disneyland sets: the 50th anniversary set that was itself originally a stand-alone release before they switched it to the Treasures as a way to keep the line going for a year or two more.

People & Places has been announced as being brought back as a new series for Disney+, so there’s a chance they could upload the original series as well, which would be cool to see, especially if they did a "then and now" revisit to several locations!

Those were the two long-running/ongoing Treasures titles that were having their films scanned and being worked on for sure, though I suspect there were quite a few other tins on the "drawing boards", seeing as these things need planning a few years in advance. Actually, it would be quite cool if they made a Treasures option on D+ and had Maltin intro some new additions and use that as a framing device to include some of the more core shows that wider viewers might need a bit of sliding into. There’s certainly still a market for this kind thing, done the right way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 18th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Ben wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 5:26 am
...right up to a film from 1983 (I think) that I can’t remember the name of right now which I think had Goofy in it.
Sport Goofy in Soccermania, perhaps? It's a TV special originally planned for theatrical release. It aired in 1987 on NBC.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Ben wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 5:26 am
A Disney Education was said to include both Jiminy series (I’m No Fool and You..., natch),
Three, if you count Jiminy's Encyclopedia shorts done for MMC:
From the Ennn-cyclo-PE-dia, E-N-C, Y-C, L-O, P-E-D-I-A. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 18th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Technically there's five serials.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Not Soccermania...that was an entertainment short, made for theatrical but ultimately released on TV and video. It was also a backdoor DuckTales pilot (or, at least, the project that then led to more of the same, that more of the same being DuckTales). Pretty good little featurette, which I have on VHS and LaserDisc. The one I was thinking if is certainly from around 1983 and dealt with germs or hygiene, from what I remember.

As for Jiminy, only the You... and I’m No Fool films were released as self-contained theatrical shorts, hence why those were the basis for the Education set, rather than using MMC segment extracts.

Five serials...? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 18th, 2020, 6:28 pm

For the Jiminy educational series; "I'm No Fool", "You and Your", "Nature of Things", "Encyclopedia" and lastly "Jiminy Cricket, P.S. (Problem Solver)". To leave no stone unturned. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Oh, yeah, see what you mean! But, like before, only the Fool and You... series were issued as individual shorts. Nature Of Things and Encyclopedia were MMC segments (and Nature, intro apart, was all True Life live-action footage), while PS was a one-off 1983 short that also featured Goofy...maybe this is the one I as thinking of!? That would certainly fir my recollection and the intention of the Education set!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 18th, 2020, 10:26 pm

I think that education set would have had donald and the wheel, the litterbug (donald short) and pooh learns about the seasons also. Shame it never came out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 18th, 2020, 11:55 pm

gaastra wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:30 am
Home alone 6 cast announced.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/new-home- ... -revealed/
There was a 5??? Hang on - there was a 4???

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 19th, 2020, 4:34 am

Bill1978 wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 11:55 pm
There was a 5??? Hang on - there was a 4???
There was the ABC Disney TV-movie "HA4: Taking Back the House", back when they still had a Saturday/Sunday-night TV movie, and a "HA: the Holiday Heist" (no number, when a franchise reaches #5) that moved the series off of Kevin and onto a new character.

However, those were not Disney/Fox-produced, so, like the new Muppets series, Disney+ authorship must be served.
Oh, and it looks like the new one isn't Kevin either.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2020, 7:24 am

Gaastra, the Donald shorts were on the Duck sets...I’d rather the Treasures didn’t repeat material, or we’d also end up losing another 25 minutes of space to Mathmagic Land! ;)

On Pooh, I’d really like a dedicated disc of the original Pooh shorts, as we’ve only had those on VHS and LaserDisc. Those four (the original three - including both soundtracks for Honey Tree! - plus the independently produced last Eeyore film) and Discovers The Seasons would make for a neat little collection!

I don’t see that happening on disc now, sadly, but don’t think they are even on D+? They should have a Pooh box if they haven’t already!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » July 20th, 2020, 9:41 am

Are all the Renaissance films (besides the Big Four) and Post Renaissance films retain their logos or did they change it to the new logo?
Did they restore the logo to Hercules or is it still the new logo?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

Mixed. Some have the classic logo and some had it replaced with the new logo. They even added the new logo to the 7min roger rabbit shorts. Not going to lie. I hate it when they replace the classic loges. WB does this also.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 22nd, 2020, 9:51 am

Disney plus snags the ladybug dtv films. Note these are not the big-screen release.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/miraculou ... to-disney/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2020, 3:59 pm

Is this any good? Kinda feels like D+ is now buying up the ripoffs to its animated films just to fill their service, unless someone tells me this is more than just an Incredibles "homage"... ;)