Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 3rd, 2006, 7:41 pm

Henson and Lassetter....the dynamic duo! :)

(Did they ever meet in real life, BTW, or was Pixar still too obscure in 1990 for that?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2006, 7:59 pm

I don't think so.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 4th, 2006, 5:12 pm

"I'm Michael Eisner."
Henson and Lassetter....the dynamic duo!
Stop...Making me think...of Batman... :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Sorry...Robin, I...can't...stop...thinkingofthatmyself! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 7th, 2006, 3:15 am

Ya know,

I only saw TWO of these True-Life Adventure releases in stores today. Saw no hide nor hair of volumes Three and Four at either the local Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

I'm not planning on picking any of them up just yet -- saving the spending spree on the Disney Treasures next week that I PLAN to get (the two animated releases plus the one focusing on Disney himself).

Did score myself some anime releases plus the complete Dungeons & Dragons set. Contemplated getting Season Two of Justice League, but I'll probably wait to get it later or after its price gets cut a bit...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Walt Disney Treasures 2006

Post by Randall » January 7th, 2007, 11:33 pm

I'm surprised that there has been little to no discussion of these sets since they were released. Are they just being taken for granted, or were people just not excited about these titles? At least the Silly Symphonies Volume 2 set has some real animated gold, Pluto Volume 2 has plenty of fun cartoons, and the others each have something to recommend.

At Animated Views, we will be posting reviews of all four sets, even if only two of them really feature animation. First up is our Hardy Boys review, a release that I found surprisingly enjoyable. Check it out, as well as our upcoming Treasures reviews, and share your own thoughts here!

Hardy Boys review.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2007, 11:48 pm

I'm as surprised as you are Ran! :P

I love the Walt Disney Treasures! Out of the four that were just released, I got Silly Symponies Volume 2 and Pluto Volume 2 for Christmas. :)

The others are ok, but not for me. I'm mearly interested in the animation sets, as you all can tell! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2007, 9:27 am

I think there is a case of taking them for granted, but also that the last couple of waves had dented their status with poorer transfers and lack of really good content.

The Pluto sets really should have only taken up on release, a la Goofy, and even spread out to two volumes they didn't include several other Pluto shorts that were <I>almost</I> series entries.

This wave makes up for things though, and the two animated titles are well worth a look, and I'm loving the Disney host set at the moment and will hopefully have my full review up very soon. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Save The Walt Disney Treasures!!!

Post by Daniel » January 12th, 2007, 4:11 am

Sources: Ultimate Disney and GAC.

Leonard Maltin has revealed that Disney has no plans to further release the Walt Disney Treasures, after 6 waves, and 22 volumes!!!

What many other forum people are saying, is to fight for the remaining sets that would complete Walt's animation shorts on DVD after all this time.

We are still missing Donald's shorts from 1947 onwards, which could be easily completed in two more sets - Chronological Donald Volume 3 and Chronological Donald Volume 4. An additional Rareties/Educational shorts such as Donald in Mathmagic land, Suzie the Little Blue Coupe etc... Which inturn, wraps up one of the best and most daring animated DVD series ever!

Its pretty clear that Leonard would love to continue the series, but he needs our help to turn this around. So anything you can do, to let Disney know they can finish what they started (with only three more sets! *animation wise*) would be greatly appreciated.

Addresses:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Attn. Consumer Relations
PO Box 3100
Neenah, WI 54957-3100

telephone (800) 723-4763

Or

The Walt Disney Company
Attn: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Disney.com - feedback section.

--------------
Again, if your a fan of these, we can't let this opportunity pass us! We of course, have to be polite. But it is deeply essential to let Disney know, that we deserve better. And not be left hanging after 6 years of kind devotion! :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 12th, 2007, 11:48 am

!!!

Let's do our part folks, but be sure to remain firm but polite and don't come off as mad people!

I think at the very least that Donald should be finished off properly, but was concerned at the low 65,000 run of this recent wave.

More in my Animated Views piece on Monday. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 12th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Hehe, that really wasn't my writing. I just copied and pasted from those sources.

Sorry that I forgot, Ben. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 12th, 2007, 11:29 pm

I was really surprised at the low release number on these Treasures. 65,000? Wow. It's hard for me to believe that Silly Symphonies Vol. 2 doesn't rate better. To me, it was the release of the year!

They really need to finish off Donald at least. Surely, they couldn't leave us hanging?!

Maybe Disney will use a new format in the future, at least for their live action vintage stuff. Could it be that the "collectible" look of the tins limits their appeal to the average consumer?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 13th, 2007, 2:39 am

Who knows, Rand.

It really is sad, when you think about it. Its perhaps one of the greatest collections ever, not to mention looking.

*Sigh* :(

Oh, and if anyone cares. I sent my first letter to Disney today! I know the odds are against us, but we all have to at least try. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2007, 8:08 pm

I've posted my thoughts at Animated Views.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 17th, 2007, 11:22 am

So, the Treasures have been seeing diminishing returns and the Eisner-era crew wants to give up on the series?

Those jerks really only have themselves to blame for the situation! There's only so much those of us over 30 can do to evangelize about the old TV series and animation SINCE THEY'RE NOT SHOWING MOST OF THIS MATERIAL ON TV ANYMORE!

Seriously, don't you think the big downfall of previous collections/series like the Vault Disney releases has been the fact that many of those films HAVEN'T been shown ANYWHERE on cable, let alone regular network television, for the better part of at least ten years?

Instead, what gets pushed is all that pre-teen/teeny bopper crap 24/7 on Disney Channel and the same recycled animated series/cheapquel series and movies on Toon Disney!

Sure, plenty of turds were made during Uncle Walt's time, too, but FAR MORE of the true classics that DEFINED Disney for most of the over-30 set were made during Walt's time, too!

It's funny that the good, classic stuff has been suppressed -- almost censored to the point of NOT EXISTING anywhere -- while the crap that has dragged Disney down into the mud and made the company the next-biggest corporate boogeyman this side of Wal-Mart gets pimped out like a tart.

It's just not a good situation, folks. Methinks I liked Disney better when it was a far smaller company than it is today and when it seemed TO LISTEN to its customer base instead of behaving like a large Hollywood studio.

I pray that the petition for getting the rest of the classic animated shorts works and that we MAY see some classic Disney series like "Zorro" released intact on DVD but I'm not holding my breath.

I really didn't expect things to change overnight even with the personnel turnovers courtesy of the merger with Pixar. It'll take years -- IF EVER -- before we see a real change back to quality at the House of Mouse.

Disney definitely has to stop acting like it's afraid of the older TV shows and movies and start actually showing these films on TV some place where people can actually watch them! It's ridiculous that a whole generation or 3 hasn't been exposed to the classic shorts from the 30s, 40s, and 50s and is instead being exposed to the third or fourth Cinderella sequel and all the other garbage that has diminished the Disney brand name.

Respect your heritage, WALT Disney Company, and stop being so darn afraid to show the old stuff and offend the 1 or 2 nitwits that will actually complain about the old stuff. Most Disney fans WANT to see the old stuff shown again.

And heck, if it actually gets SHOWN again, Disney Home Video might actually be able to sell the old stuff on home video, too!