Charlie Brown Specials

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 16th, 2006, 11:59 am

I have the original christmas show and It's Christmastime Again, both of which are highly enjoyable. I have not seen the other two mentioned, but I'd like to see I Want A Dog For Christmas because I like Rerun. In the comics at least, Snoopy happily plays with Rerun often, so if you think about it Rerun doesn't need to get his own dog because he has Snoopy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 16th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Definetly try to catch the special, eddie! If you like the other two, than you'll really enjoy I Want a Dog For Christmas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 4th, 2007, 9:56 pm

Peanuts Properties Pulled from Paramount, Goes to Warner & Announces 2 Remastered DVDs -- Yay, I'm very exited about this! Hopefully box sets will follow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 4th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Daniel wrote:Peanuts Properties Pulled from Paramount, Goes to Warner & Announces 2 Remastered DVDs -- Yay, I'm very exited about this! Hopefully box sets will follow.
Warner's hope is to dump all the "lesser" specials in boxset toon-collections for bulk sale, after the proven holiday sellers.
(And you wouldn't think 'It's Arbor Day, CB" would be one of the better specials, but...) :)

Which is more generosity than Paramount ever showed them--
Now, maybe we can have a hope of seeing "Race For Your Life" and "Bon Voyage, CB" on disk.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2007, 11:40 pm

All I can say is, thank goodness Paramount no longer has these!!! Paramount's treatment of them was just so lame.

I'm really happy Warner snagged them. They'll do so much more with them than Paramount ever did. The box set idea sounds great, and I also hope to see the remaining movies on disc.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2007, 10:17 am

Hmmm King Features...

I'd bet we're going to see a lot more from the WB/KFS relationship from now on. Popeye opened the floodgates!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 5th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Ben wrote:Hmmm King Features...
I'd bet we're going to see a lot more from the WB/KFS relationship from now on. Popeye opened the floodgates!
Actually, Peanuts are United Feature Syndicate, the other comic-strip guys (or United Media, now that they handle the Schulz licenses), the home of Garfield and Cathy.
(Unless Fox still owns the Garfield cartoon/movies.)

But yeah, Randall got the point: Paramount and Universal were two of the last companies you could trust for vintage-extras boxsets, and even without Warner, it's like the liberation of Paris--
It's just gravy that Warner's gotten confident that they can make any cartoon look good on a 4-disk set...And as long as they think "It's Non-Holiday Filler, Charlie Brown" is some "liability" that they don't know how to package, and have to resort to bulk-boxset-with-extras to foist it off on the public, so much the sweeter. :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2007, 9:19 am

Thanks, my mistake.

Yep, WB are the "go to" guys for these things. And I love that they don't show preference to their own properties: the RKO and MGM libraries get just as much - if not more - attention.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 6th, 2007, 7:49 pm

I know, I feel the same way. Shame, really.

I also agree with Rand about the Paramount situation, which is pretty much why I'm exited. Paramount was ok, but the treatment... was as Charlie Brown would say "ughhh". Releasing them slowly, not really cleaning them up, cheap packaging, etc. It was just ridiculous. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 6th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Paramount just had no idea what to do with good ol' Charlie Brown. They have no classic animation department looking after this stuff, and don't seem to care. The specials were just basically tossed out there. Paramount was ignorant of how these could have sold if they had gone after the collectors market instead of only catering to the Wal*Mart crowd. As a big Schulz fan, I'm very excited to see what WB will do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2007, 12:34 am

Here's an interesting article, that sheds a little more light on this situation.

Like this for instance:
Other "Peanuts" programs that aren't as familiar will be packaged in "golden collection" sets similar to what Warner has done with its "Looney Tunes" library. "These will be for the core collector," Brown said. "Much of this content has never been out before on DVD."
Its pretty much what Eric already told us, but still, its great news!

And this little bit:
Warner also will produce original "Peanuts" features for home video release under the studio's Warner Premiere label, Brown said. "We have no announcement date yet," he said, "but it's already been initiated. This will be a high priority."
Cool. Thus far, I've really enjoyed all the new specials, so here's hoping the next ones don't dissapoint! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2007, 1:56 am

Daniel wrote:Cool. Thus far, I've really enjoyed all the new specials, so here's hoping the next ones don't dissapoint! :)
Think the series may have burned itself out trying to do the Saturday-morning series (which also just transcripted four-panel shorts).

The new comic-transcript specials are....okay, but that last Schulz-written "Pied Piper" special was just plain weird:
No jokes to speak of, and scenes that kept dragging on in limbo for full minutes after the punchline ended, as if someone forgot the camera was still running. :?
That it turned out to be his last "pure" Peanuts special makes sense in context, but remember wondering whether senility was starting to set in on the author.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2007, 2:30 am

To be honest, I've never seen "Pied Piper". Is it that weired?

I was mainly referring to "Christmas Tales" "I Want a Dog For Christmas" and "Lucy Must Be Traided" all of which IMO, come close to capturing the originals spark. Although, they each have their own shortcomings, like the harassment deal in Dog. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 10th, 2007, 9:59 am

The Golden Collection sets sound promising.

The Warner Premieres, frankly, do not. We'll have to see who's on board for them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Yes, they do! >:[

It'll probably be Bill and Lee. Which I'm a-ok with. :)