The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 1st, 2005, 4:32 pm

Mickey A wrote:Are you saying, Macaluso, that there is a new trailer for
Chicken Little in which the world blows up while "What a Wonderful World" plays? Or are you talking about another teaser trailer for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's great.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 1st, 2005, 4:41 pm

Macaluso wrote:
Mickey A wrote:Are you saying, Macaluso, that there is a new trailer for
Chicken Little in which the world blows up while "What a Wonderful World" plays? Or are you talking about another teaser trailer for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's great.
That is clever then. I thought you just meant the trailers kind of similar- not that similar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 1st, 2005, 5:00 pm

Ben wrote: Everything was self-explained and contained, so there were no in-jokes that would grate anyone coming fresh, while there were enough in there to please long-time fans.
I think that's somewhat correct.
There were some things that, while my group was laughing our asses off, the rest of the audiance was more or less wondering what the crap was SO funny. Like, whenever the doors and such would open or close and make their noises, NO ONE else really laughed at that. But our group laughed EVERY. TIME. And how incredibly peppy the computer was. No one really thought that was THAT funny besides my group. Things like that didn't really get people's funny bone a-goin unless they read the books.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2005, 5:21 pm

Jen hasn't read the books, nor is she a fan, but she got all that and laughed nonetheless.

I think it just works on a sci-fi spoof level. The peppy computer, for instance, is a very funny slant on the moribound attitude of HAL in 2001.

And the doors - well, they got spoofed once before, in Airplane 2, and we all know that space vehicle doors should go whoosh, like Star Trek. So the fact they sigh is just funny itself.

So even if you haven't read the books, or heard the radio series or seen the TV show, the jokes work because they hark back to already known about standards anyway.

Maybe the audience you saw it with just weren't that sci-fi literate?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 1st, 2005, 5:44 pm

The audience I saw were idiots then.

I know that my group were the ones laughing the hardest in that movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Who doesn't love Floyd Norman?

Post by CoryMitchell » May 2nd, 2005, 1:41 pm

Hey guys,
We have a new article by Floyd up today. It's not about animation, it's about Douglas Aadams. But I thought you guys might dig it.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles ... hp?ID=1418

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 2nd, 2005, 3:06 pm

Is Floyd Norman also Mr. Fun?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2005, 3:17 pm

:)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 2nd, 2005, 10:28 pm

[quote="Christian"]Is Floyd Norman also Mr. Fun?[/quote]

Yes, he is.

He's been revealed for some time now.

I had a hunch who he was a while back, but it's been 100% confirmed by other A-Nation members.

I found out on my own well over a year ago because he kept hawking his last book on A-Nation a while back and it was easy to trace him once you found out who the author of that book was! :lol:

For people who wonder what Floyd Norman looks like, he's on the Walt Disney: Man Behind the Myth DVD. It's a very good, personal look at the life of Walt Disney and is sold at Disney Stores, Amazon.com, and Borders.

Norman was chosen to speak on that film to address the question of Walt Disney's alleged racism -- one of many nasty rumors circulated throughout Hollywood about Walt Disney to denigrate his name and the Studio's reputation. According to Norman, it's bunk and he never had a problem with his boss. Norman's said a few other senior animators apparently weren't comfortable with him but Mr. Disney always treated him well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2005, 8:42 am

The only people that felt they had a "problem" with Walt were those who wanted to make a name for themselves.

As he said to Ken Anderson once (paraphrasing from memory): "If you want to make the name "Ken Anderson" famous, then leave now. Around here "Disney" is what we sell".

Anderson was under no illusions, but this was something Walt would apparently tell any newcomer, and some (often those who eventually left to go it alone - Melendez, anyone?) didn't take to that very well.

And it wasn't an egotistical thing: Walt later said that "he wasn't "Disney" anymore" and that it had grown into a thing that he merely shared his name with. This was a tribute to those he worked with, in that they were responsible for that growth. So even he was just part of the "Disney thing" in the end (even if a very visible "spokesman" who happened to share his name with the company).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 3rd, 2005, 3:41 pm

Future 'Best Original Song' nominee:

Karaoke version- http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/games/dolphin.html

Film version- http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/Hitchhik ... g_1500.mov

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 3rd, 2005, 5:44 pm

YES YES YES

*downloads movie*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2008, 7:20 am

URGENT REQUEST:

I'm working on an Elstree Studios project - where Hitchhiker's Guide was shot - and am looking for the film's theatrical trailer.

I <I>know</I> I've seen it on a DVD, and probably have it in my collection, but which disc!?

I've searched through the many reviews I did at the time to see if it was bundled on any of those, but can't find it.

Ideally, I'm looking for the trailer as it appeared before the film hit DVD (as in "Coming To Theaters"), but if it needs to be a "Coming or Now On DVD" one, then so be it.

HELP!! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 9th, 2008, 9:10 am

How about this one - might be the teaser trailer though:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchston ... thegalaxy/

(BTW I assume you checked the special features on the H2G2 DVD?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2008, 10:44 am

Yeah, H2G2 DVD was the first place I looked - but it's a Disney "we don't include the trailers to the movie you just bought" DVD!!

Yep, that link's just to the teaser. What I need is an actual DVD, though. I'm going to start checking through the titles that came out around that time. I know I've seen one on a disc I have...but which one!!?

Thanks James!