Charlie Brown Specials

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 4:26 pm

When they release the boxset, I really hope they include the "20th TV Anniversary" special as a bonus. True, it is mostly a clip show, but it was hosted by Charles Schulz and I think it would be a nice way to honor his memory if they put it in for people to see. Plus, the tape I have is starting to wear out from age.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Was that when they ran a Snoopy montage with "Joe Cool" on the soundtrack. That is perhaps my one biggest, unshakable Peanuts memory, for some reason.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 9:08 pm

That's the one. The Joe Cool bit is pretty memorable and I've always wondered if it was part of one of the specials that I haven't seen yet.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2008, 1:12 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2008, 7:42 pm

What can I say, another enjoyable review, Rand! :) Ahh, haven't gottan my copy yet, but am looking forward to the new featurette.

I caught one little mistake... Under "Final Cut:" you have a space between 'o f'. Tis all, everything else is great! Not a fan of the Wiggles myself either. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Thanks, eagle eyes! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 1st, 2008, 12:07 am

eddievalient wrote:When they release the boxset, I really hope they include the "20th TV Anniversary" special as a bonus. True, it is mostly a clip show, but it was hosted by Charles Schulz and I think it would be a nice way to honor his memory if they put it in for people to see. Plus, the tape I have is starting to wear out from age.

Yes, but it's a safe but that "Bring Me the Head of Charlie Brown" and "A Charlie Brown Kwanzaa" will never be part of any official Charlie Brown DVD release!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 4th, 2008, 3:42 pm

You're right. As funny as those shorts are (as well as the Robot Chicken sketch), they're definitely not approved parodies, so I wouldn't expect them to show up on an official product in any form. Too bad on that. It would be interesting to see them included in a documentary on Peanuts' cultural impact (which I could see WB doing as an extra).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2008, 6:19 pm

The Digital Bits wrote:First up is The Peanuts Holiday Collection on DVD, which will contain A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving: Deluxe Edition, A Charlie Brown Christmas: Deluxe Edition and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Deluxe Edition, along with a CD of songs from the original soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi.
No pic, but cool! Yeah, it sounds more or less like the Paramount box set, but the CD makes it all worthwhile. Here's hoping the spine is huge improvement! (the Paramount set featured the cover arts of the three DVDs inside, bleh.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 28th, 2008, 1:55 am

It's also logical to assume the set won't be out until the Thanksgiving and Christmas disks are announced--
CtToI, we still don't have a date on "You're Not Elected", do we?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 1st, 2008, 3:56 pm

No, but TSoD is saying it will probably be in October. :) Can't wait!

And now, here's a look at the package art for the holiday collection I mentioned above. Good grief, the spine!! I hate it. It's exactly like the Paramount edition, only with the updated cover arts... I was really hoping for it just to have the title - "Peanuts, deluxe Holiday Collection". (kind of like the top of the box.) Oh well. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 1st, 2008, 4:37 pm

I think I'll be fine with the individual releases. But really, I'm more looking forward to seeing a true box set of other specials, including stuff that hasn't been out yet! The re-do's are OK, but I have these specials already.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 22nd, 2008, 6:47 pm

Warner has now announced "You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown" will be released October 7th! This is one I'll be sure to pick up up. Bet Eric is happy. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2008, 3:01 pm

Well, except for only getting one of those new 15-minute network-filler shorts ("He's A Bully, Charlie Brown") as the second "episode", and not one of the unexplored classics preserved on disk.

Sounds familiar, but can't recall it airing earlier--
If it's not from the Saturday morning series, they may have made it to try and air the special on an hour-slot broadcast (also to tie in with November); otherwise, hope this doesn't bode ill for the rest of Warner's non-Paramount terra incognita. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 23rd, 2008, 4:18 pm

I was also curious why they're including "He's a Bully, Charlie Brown", instead of a more obscure classic. Not that it bothers me, really, I like that special. It even has a Joe Cool inclusion! Your speculation does sound plausible though, plus the "Bully" special originally made its debut after the Thanksgiving special a few years back and it is the last special to have any involvement from Schulz. Those reasons are why it's probably included.

BTW Eric, I edited your post above to exclude the quote; there was no need since you were replying directly below it. :)