101 Dalmatians

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
American_dog_2008

101 Dalmatians

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 12th, 2008, 5:48 am

Does anybody still remember the 101 Dalmatians TV show?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 9:14 am

Yah.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 12th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Yick. I never liked it.

It kinda seemed like a cross between the animated film and the original novel. Except it was set in the US..... I never understood that.. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I seem to remember a character rather randomly named 'Cadpig'! And no, I never got why it seemed to be set in the US either, although the live action film might as well have been set in the US given all the non British wildlife in it. I was half expecting a moose to wander past the back of shot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 5:33 pm

I've heard of it but never seen it. Don't think I care to.

I've never seen most of the shows based off the DACS. Only a few episodes of Emperor's New School.

What else is there?

Lilo & Stitch the series
TLM the series
Aladdin the series
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Tarzan, I think.

The only 101 Dalmatains worth seeing is a one-hour special, "Dalmatian Plantation", which doesn't seem to be taking place anywhere specific, being the country, so it's pretty in keeping. And not too bad, for a TV special.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Hm...well I have never really cared for any Disney animated TV shows.

When I was a kid I watched Nickelodeon's Doug, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Dexter's Lab, Dragon Ball Z and The Power Puff Girls.

Now I watch Robot Chicken, South Park and The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.

None of the Disney afternoon shows really appealed to me or any of the series based of DACs.

Their shows today certainly don't appeal to me.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Well, Wuzzles and DuckTales (and Gummi Bears to an extent) are genuine classics of any medium, and were actually developed by some of the feature personnel before being outsourced for animation. DuckTales especially harked back to classic Disney (the comic books of Carl Barks) and remains particularly high value for a TV cartoon.

But, conscious of keeping quality high for a Disney entry into TV, these three initial shows (and the one off pilot for a failed show, Fluppy Dogs) are well animated and plotted. Also, Rodney would no doubt add Gargoyls to the list of the good stuff for being something different.

Essentially, once they went into spinning off the features into television cartoons, the unit lost the spark that made them special.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I worded that extremely poorly. I didn't mean to say the quality wasn't good. In truth, I can't really judge the quality - I never really saw a lot of these shows.

I know my sister loved Tale Spin and Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers, but I never got into them as much.

Gummi Bears' original run ended around the time I was born.

Some of these shows just weren't my era.

And it seems these are all the 2D animated shows based of a DAC:

101 Dalmatians: The Series
Aladdin: The Series
Hercules: The Animated Series
Jungle Cubs
Lilo & Stitch: The Series
The Emperor's New School
The Legend of Tarzan
The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa
The Little Mermaid: The Series
The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh