Cartoon characters that don't talk

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cartoon characters that don't talk

Post by mailman641 » November 29th, 2008, 11:24 pm

what I like about characters that don't talk is that the viewer has to use thier sense of sight rather than sound to know what that character is thinking. Like a character yawning to show boredom or rolling his eyes as if to say sarcasticaly "whatever".

some of my favorite non-talking characters

Snoopy
Road Runner & Wile E Coyote
Perry the Platypus
Maggie Simpson

what are your favorite non-talking characters(from anywhere, new or old, theatrical, short, tv)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 29th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Gromit
Scrat (the sabre-toothed squirrel from the Ice Age films)
The Pink Panther
Snoopy and Woodstock

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 30th, 2008, 1:22 am

Dumbo
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 30th, 2008, 3:06 am

Fritz the Ca--... oh wait...

I'll second Wile E, Gromit and the Pink Panther. Some others I've enjoyed a great deal:

Geri (from Pixar's "Geri's Game")
Sound Track (from "Fantasia")
Unnamed tourist fellow from "Surogat"
Susie (the little blue coupe)
Practically the entire cast of "Triplets of Belleville"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 30th, 2008, 3:09 am

"Triplets of Belleville" was definitely one I was going to say.

The Robot in "Castle in the Sky"
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 30th, 2008, 3:34 am

Snoopy talks on a regular bases in the comic (kind of in the same way Garfield talks) and Wile E. Coyote has talked before.

And Maggie Simpson said "dada" or something once!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mailman641 » November 30th, 2008, 10:11 am

well Snoopy does "talk" by using a typewriter and the words appear over his head as he types but he doesn't talk like Brian Griffin on Family Guy.

And now that I think about it, Wile E Coyote does talk in at least one cartoon, I forgot the name of it but I think it was a half hour tv special and it's somewhere in the Looney Tunes GC. I think I've yet to see a short where he talks, and I dont consider holding up a sign to be talking.

I think I do remember the episode where Maggie said "dada". Nobody else was around to hear it, so more than 99.9% of her communication is done non-verbally.

and to nitpick the other one from my original post, Dee Bradley Baker is credited as the voice of Perry The Platypus, although Perry doesn't actually talk. The only sound he ever makes is some wierd teeth chattering sound (0:30 on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhQ75vyhmc8 )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 30th, 2008, 12:10 pm

mailman641 wrote:I think I've yet to see a short where he talks, and I dont consider holding up a sign to be talking.
Wile E talks in the short Operation: Rabbit, which is one of the really great ones IMO.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 30th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Macaluso wrote:Snoopy talks on a regular bases in the comic (kind of in the same way Garfield talks) and Wile E. Coyote has talked before.

And Maggie Simpson said "dada" or something once!
heh, true, but all of that seems analogous to saying Bugs Bunny doesn't talk and citing "Baton Bunny" as evidence. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 30th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Macaluso wrote:And Maggie Simpson said "dada" or something once!
Daddy! ;) It was in the episode "Lisa's First Word". And let's not forget she said "sequel" at the end of the The Simpsons Movie - to which they actually reference the fact it's Maggie's first word .. for them at least.