Warner's Saturday Morning Cartoons Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2009, 8:41 am

Rand...you're going backwards in time! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 15th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Although, as TVShowsonDVD reported by way of Jerry Beck, the collections haven't been selling very well for Warner--
We don't know quite what it is that makes Warner KEEP wanting to give fans "Cartoon Crack-Up" best-of potpourris when they want collector boxes, but if, as rumored, it drives them back into complete Golden Collections, it's a necessary step.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 15th, 2009, 2:31 pm

It sounds like the 1960s sets are done, anyhow. It's a shame, unless they go back to giving us some more complete series sets. I'd still like Herculoids and a couple of others. By that report, it sounds as if the next pair of releases will be 1970s Vol. 3, and 1980s Vol. 1 (which I can't see being that great, given what properties WHV has to offer; if WHV has Thundarr, though, I'd enjoy that--- but for that I'd much rather see a complete series set).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 17th, 2009, 12:31 am

I wasn't so excited about the second 1960s set. Hopefully, Warner may revert to a few more complete series sets instead.

http://animatedviews.com/2009/saturday- ... -volume-2/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whogaman » November 23rd, 2009, 1:46 pm

Hello. I'm new here so I may say something that has already been said, but I just wish that Warner Brothers would release other Hanna Barbara super heroes from the '60' like they did with Birdman and Space Ghost. The Herculoids, Mightor and the others from that era would please a lot of those who remember those adventure cartoons with fondness.

Even some lesser known heroes as Young Sampson and Sinbad the Sailor would be a welcome addition to those DVDs.

Maybe someday they will. I for one will but them.

Peace Whoga
Like the only real magic--The magic of knowledge.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2009, 2:42 pm

Agreed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 23rd, 2009, 5:19 pm

Whogaman wrote: Even some lesser known heroes as Young Sampson and Sinbad the Sailor would be a welcome addition to those DVDs.
Um, isn't Young Samson already on one of the 60's disks, as a B-player to "Space Kidettes"?

(Me, I'll just wait for Warner to work out their best-of-anthology insecurities about whether they feel confident enough to give us "New Adventures of Huck Finn" as its own box, as a part of that unwanted Banana Splits box they'd mentioned earlier, both, or neither.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2009, 6:27 pm

Welcome to our boards, Whogaman, and nice avatar!

Pay no attention to Eric in the corner...he just likes to come out and spread some bitterness once in a (every)while.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Warner's Saturday Morning Cartoons Collections

Post by gaastra » February 9th, 2010, 9:12 pm

80s vol 1 cover! Mr t and dragon's lair!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Flints ... s-V1/13320

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 10th, 2010, 1:40 am

...What? No Rubik the Amazing Cube?
(Still, we'll take Dragon's Lair. :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2010, 6:21 am

Ahh, so the are continuing with this line after all? Well, the 1980s seems to be the way to go, though the cover art doesn't sport the "Volume 1" that has been announced there.

Maybe we'll get a V2...would be nice to have two for each decade, and much preferable to a potential Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1990s! ;)

GeorgeC

Re: Warner's Saturday Morning Cartoons Collections

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2010, 7:59 am

If H-B is concentrating on the 1980s now, why not do a collection of the newer Space Ghost episodes and Teen Force?

They're not great shows but at least they were trying to do something different!

H-B does have some characters that are ripe for new explorations, new takes on them instead of just doing scathological humor.

I've kind of wondered for a long time how well a new Space Ghost series done more seriously could do... There was a recent comic mini-series (done within the past 6 years) that explored.

In some ways, the idea got pooh-poohed by people who could only see Space Ghost as the bufoonish host of Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 10th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Well, George, as a kid, the bufoon was the first Space Ghost that I saw, but I'll say that after I saw some of the original series, it made Coast to Coast and Cartoon Planet that much funnier. I'll probably buy this new set for Dragon's Lair. Even though Don Bluth had nothing to do with it (or the Space Ace series), I'm still a pretty big Bluth fan and I've been wanting Dragon's Lair on dvd, even if it is just an episode or two.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 10th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Aside from Thundarr (which needs a complete series set!), this 1980s set does not interest me. I know the 1960s sets weren't big sellers, but I'd rather see more 1960s or 1970s volumes. Maybe I'm just showing my age. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 10th, 2010, 7:57 pm

OK, i just saw the latest, the back cover...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thunda ... s-V1/13326

Ed Grimley is pretty loopy. I might enjoy seeing that again, in addition to Thundarr. A couple of others I suppose I'm curious about, but generally I'll find most of this set a slog to get through.