Daria on DVD at last!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Daria on DVD at last!

Post by eddievalient » October 17th, 2009, 12:56 am

www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria-DVDs-Planned/12236

Because no one else posted this, I thought some of you might like to know that MTV's Daria, long missing on dvd due to music rights issues, will finally be released late next year. Reportedly, most of the music will be replaced or removed, but who cares as long as the episodes are all there and all uncut otherwise? The fans have been campaigning for this for years, so I'm glad it's finally happening.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 9th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Update! Here's some more info about the upcoming dvd release quoted directly from www.the-wildone.com/dvdaria:

1. It sounds as though, rather than put the episodes out season-by-season, they are looking to put the whole series out at once, including the movies.

2. There will be goodies, though which ones, I am not sure. However, the Sarcastathons and the specials were mentioned, and it looks as though they are going through ANY footage to find superfluous Daria appearances (like on TV talk shows).

3. The commercial bumpers will be preserved, and in their rightful places.

4. The episodes will be from the original masters, so no Noggin jujitsu cuts.

5. As expected, most of the music will be replaced. The money was not there to attain the rights for DVD. However, some of the replacement music will be covers, and the rest will be replaced by music that is substantially similar. Real music, not muzak.

6. The DVDs could come out as early as spring 2010. I'm going to play it conservative and still claim that they won't be available until late 2010. For outside of the United States, it will be closer to 2011.

7. The price will be very reasonable.

End quote.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this! Finally, I can throw away my bootlegs and have a nice, official dvd on my shelf!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Daria on DVD at last!

Post by eddievalient » February 14th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Update! Paramount has officially announced a release date for Daria-The Complete Series: May 11th, 2010!

According to tvshowsondvd.com, the set will include all five seasons AND both movies and feature the following extras:

1. Pilot-Sealed With A Kick
2. Mystik Spiral music video- "Freakin' Friends"
3. Daria Day intros
4. Top Ten Video Countdown hosted by Daria and Jane
5. Cast and crew interviews
6. Never-before-seen Mystik Spiral spin-off script

Impressive package, no?

No information on price yet, but you can bet I'll be preordering this no matter what the price is. Who's with me?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 15th, 2010, 2:23 pm

eddievalient wrote:Impressive package, no?
That's what they tell me. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 15th, 2010, 5:53 pm

HEYOOOO

Did they ever say how they got around the songs being in the show? Are they removing them, or straight up paying for every song used?

Either way, I'm very excited for this. It's about time Daria came out on DVD

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 15th, 2010, 9:48 pm

It's expected that there will be music changes.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria- ... ries/13322

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » February 15th, 2010, 11:32 pm

I'm excited, I loved watching Daria. I'm sad to hear the original music will be replaced. I understand why, and have faith the replacements will be decent, but I just don't like it when originals are tampered with at all. :P I am excited that they will be using the original cuts (not the noggin ones). Thanks for the great info eddie. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 17th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Daria is now available to pre-order! Full price is $70, but Amazon is currently selling it for $50. I didn't pre-order it yet because I just pre-ordered something else before I looked, but it is there. Yay!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 18th, 2010, 1:32 pm

The good old 90's are back!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Ghostbuster Man » February 22nd, 2010, 1:02 pm

Break out the Fresca. We is celebrating!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 23rd, 2010, 2:13 am

Hasn't been talked about in a while, so I'll make some posting here.

Picked up the DVD set. Good, fond memories. I should note that there are definitely some things hardcore fans probably won't like in the way MTV put this set together. Here are a couple notes the realize:

- The set includes all of the episodes and the two specials "Is It Fall Yet?" and "Is It College Yet?" Note, though, that "IICY" is not the full uncut version. Apparently, MTV no longer has that copy for some reason.

- As mentioned, 99% of the licensed music has been edited out. The obvious reason being the legal issues that could not be helped. For their part, MTV did their best to input replacement music that sounded very close to the originals (although many fans were not happy that "Everybody Hurts" was not among the 1% that stayed in, as it played a part in the episode "The Road Worrier".)

- Various episodes, when viewed individually, include the option to watch the intros used from the Daria Day marathon that ran near the end of the series. These are less than one minute clips of Daria and Jane introducing the episode while wearing various outfits (often times to fit some theme of the episode). They poke fun at the laziness of putting these intros together as only their eyes and lips are animated.

- As mentioned before, the special features on the last disc include the original pilot episode "Sealed with a Kick", the music video to "Freakin' Friends" by Mystik Spiral, the script for a proposed Mystik Spiral spin-off (which can only be viewed on computer), a seven-minute collection of cast and crew interviews, and the Daria and Jane segments of their hosting an MTV Top Ten Video Countdown.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 23rd, 2010, 11:07 am

I have the full version of IICY? (I taped it when it first aired), but I don't have any way of transferring it to dvd. Oh well. I'll think of something.

I was a bit disappointed with the loss of "Everybody Hurts", but at least they picked a halfway decent piece of music to replace it with, even if the joke is destroyed.
Last edited by eddievalient on May 23rd, 2010, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Re:

Post by Dan » May 23rd, 2010, 11:54 am

eddievalient wrote:I have the full version of IICY? (I taped it when it first aired), but I don't have any way of transferring it to dvd. Oh well. I'll think of something.
I believe there are still some combo players out there where you can record onto DVD straight from TV or video (my folks had one like that once, I used that to their amusement). Just need to get the combo player and a couple DVD-R discs (I prefer DVD-RW so that if you screw up you can erase and re-record).