Official VIDEO GAMES discussion

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 30th, 2009, 3:31 am

Right now,

a lot of old PC games are being ported to the XBox 360. That's natural since the development kits for the system and the OS is PC-like. The 360 uses a version of Windows for its OS.

Besides Doom, games like Sam and Max: Season 1 have been announced or are available now for download on XBox Live.

Of course, this all has to be paid for...

What's ironic that a lot of former Sega exclusives are showing up on XBox Live, too.

A $300 stick is being sold in Japan now that is a duplicate of the original arcade controller (the Twinstick) used for Virtual On which is getting ported to XBL. I still have a Sega Saturn version of this controller which I paid far less for and have used in the past to play Virtual On for Saturn and Dreamcast.

Also ported to XBL was the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur but basically it was only the arcade element (fighting) with none of the quest modes and customization the Dreamcast game had.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 6th, 2009, 11:18 pm

A little late to the party, I know, but I finally got a PS2 today! I'd basically run out of Gamecube games I was interested in, so I took the plunge on something new (used actually, but who cares?). For my first PS2 games, I got "Ratchet and Clank", "Kingdom Hearts", and "GTA San Andreas" (I chose the latter two specifically because I know they'll keep me occupied for awhile). The best part? Gamestop sells 99% of their used PS2 games for $15 or less! Who says you can't have fun on a budget?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 7th, 2009, 12:49 am

I don't own a PS2, but I strongly suggest getting Katamari Damacy. It's so fun, I'm tempted to get an old used PS2 just for that series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » July 7th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Excellent choice, eddie. Might I recommend Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for your purchase queue :D If any games aspire to a higher art these two would certainly stand at the front of that line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 21st, 2010, 10:45 am

Just replayed Riven for the first time in about 12 years. It's amazing the level of detail they put into those Myst games. Too bad no one makes games like that anymore, cause that used to be my favorite kind. I had a bunch, including a creepy one by Sierra called Shivers. In that one you had to survive a night in a haunted museum by solving puzzles and capturing all the ghosts. Some of the puzzles were fiendishly difficult, and they were the type that could be randomized each game so you couldn't simply look up the solution. Good times.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Re: Official VIDEO GAMES discussion

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 22nd, 2010, 3:18 pm

I would buy a XBox 360 if Animals of Farthing Wood ever get ported!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 23rd, 2010, 11:48 pm

Ya know how I said no one makes games like Myst anymore? I was wrong! Huzzah! This morning, I stumbled across a website called Game Boomers that's all about adventure games. It seems that first-person point-and-click games (the kind I like best) never went away, it's just that they don't advertise them anymore and these days they seem to be mainly done by independant developers. Looking through the site's review archive, I found some intriguing possibilities. Let the good times roll!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 24th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Yay, MYST was good times!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Kids react to the Atari 2600! :). Really cute.

https://youtu.be/d7zM3qWXOto

Warning: Will make you feel extremely old.

LOL! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 7th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Totally random video you might appreciate if you were a hard-core NES fan in the late 80s. Basically, all the gaming mistakes from the Fred Savage adventure-comedy 1989 film The Wizard. (I use the word “film” quite loosely as it was basically just a two-hour commercial for Nintendo. Lol.) :)

https://youtu.be/NrIn8hklG-I
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm

You really don't have to be a 2000's kid to appreciate at least SOME of this (lots of it video-game related). :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

Ahh, the Wii. Whatever happened to the Wii...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2020, 8:11 pm

LOL...I think it became the Wii U (there was also a screen inside the controller) which ended up failing spectacularly (not 100% sure, but I know it was eventually discontinued) and then came the current Nintendo Switch. (I think with that you can rearrange the controller, although from what I understand it's so smooth that it often ends up coming apart. :?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FinlayCarloton » March 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

ShyViolet wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:49 pm
You really don't have to be a 2000's kid to appreciate at least SOME of this (lots of it video-game related). :wink:

Yeeep, this cool=) I am so old XD

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 18th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Super Mario Bros on the Atari 2600: an actual, playable game.*

Has to be seen to be believed! :)

https://youtu.be/o5igUFICNB0

*Not the “Mario Bros” Atari version.

Final Battle with Bowser:

https://youtu.be/W7Q8pJbdQqk