Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 21st, 2010, 4:43 am

Turned on my PS3--which automatically updates the latest system software over the Internet connection--and after downloading the new system update for 20 minutes, saw "Version 3.50 - Playstation 3 is now compatible with 3-D Blu-ray disks."

0_0
...There's a reason you'll hear it recommended.
Last edited by EricJ on September 21st, 2010, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 5th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Bam! How about $10 off Beauty and the Beast! Don't say Animated Views never did anything for you... ;)

http://animatedviews.com/2010/beauty-an ... on-coupon/

GeorgeC

Re: Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Post by GeorgeC » October 5th, 2010, 5:38 pm

I've tried printing off that coupon before, James, and it just doesn't print off at all with my computer.

I've informed Disney Movie Rewards of the problem but they're putting their heads in the sand and making it seem like I did something wrong.

Honestly, about 10-15% of the programs downloaded off the Internet just do not work with older machines or certain combinations of machine and add-ons... I use machines quite a bit and have noticed this flakiness a lot in the past 2-3 years with video compression programs in particular.

I understand Disney wants to protect its interests and not let people abuse the coupons but the fact that you have to install a faulty utility program to print off a coupon is ridiculous!

I've NEVER had to install programs to print off coupons for any other company.

I sincerely hope they catch hell for this...

This is NOT customer service!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 5th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Eh, not a big deal to me. I've had to use that print utility a couple of times, and it saves me money...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 5th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Literally took me 20 minutes to finally get it working. I was hoping it was just me!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 5th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:It looks like they're doing the same thing they did with Snow White last year (the blu-ray combo pack and 2 disc DVD were about a month apart).

I find this rather irritating as I've been looking forward to this release all year, and I'm too impatient to wait another month!

I'm REALLY starting to resent them for constantly trying to shove blu-ray discs down our throats. It's probably because I'm bitter about TS3 getting a one disc DVD while the "loaded" DVD is only available in the combo pack.

ARG! I don't want to pay extra for a disc that I can't use! Don't they understand that blu-ray is NOT AN OPTION for some people??? :evil:

*end tantrum*
k, I feel better now.
Hehe..... I feel rather sheepish having made that rant earlier. When I said that blu-ray wasn't an option for some, I was referring to others like myself. I don't have a TV of my own, and the one where I live is small and shared. Thus I usually watch DVDs on my laptop.

Imagine my surprise when I found out I'd be getting a tv of my own for my birthday this year AND a blu player for Christmas!

So yeah... You'll hear no more complaints from me. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2010, 7:43 am

We won't say we told you so... ;)

Anyone know if Amazon is offering a similar thing to the Disney voucher online? Last year they also offered a $10 code off the purchase of Snow White, which was handy for me when Disney only sent us the regular DVD sized case for review.

I'm likely to do that again, as we just got our review copy in, and it's the DVD case version. :(

I'll have the DVD case version available to anyone in the UK who doesn't mind the size difference as much as me, and might want to take it off my hands... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 6th, 2010, 8:58 am

Amazon has the $10 off offer, if you preorder another Disney Blu-ray combo pack with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Darn it...the other combos are likely to be things we get in for review...and I have everything else there that I'd go for. Plus it looks like they make you wait for the other combo to be released before they'll send you Beauty (at least on the dummy order I submitted to see if I could order it and then cancel the second disc).

I really don't want to go for Old Dogs, Jonas Brothers or Santa Paws! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2010, 11:43 pm

The DVD and Blu ray releases out in stores now all have the exact same 3 discs -- 2 Blu rays and 1 DVD. Naturally, the film's replicated on 1 DVD and 1 Blu ray.

The differences are limited to the packaging (standard Blu ray case or DVD case) and the border color of the slip surrounding the casing.

The DVD release (same three discs -- except the DVD is listed first followed by the two Blu rays) has an uglier, glitter gray border around the artwork. I don't believe "Diamond" is on the Blu ray release -- only the DVD version that I've seen.

Many stores are carrying only one version since the releases are otherwise identical... Pretty much the same case with the earlier Toy Story 1 and 2 releases this year.

Standard pricing appears to be $22.99-$24.99. It'll easily be in the top five sellers for the work, if not #3 at worst...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2010, 5:40 am

I know about the discs, George. It's the DVD style pack I have when I would have much preferred the BD case. Same discs, yep, but the set won't sit on my BD shelf!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 7th, 2010, 7:39 am

Maybe you can get Droo to whip you up a Blu ray-style insert and transfer those discs to a multi-disc Blu ray case?

Otherwise, the only way you'll get a Blu ray case is to buy the set over again.

(I agree... the DVD style IS ugly. I don't know what it is but Disney Home Video has made some hideous slip art releases in the last year. The differences between the BD and DVD aren't THAT bad but since I have options I definitely wouldn't buy the DVD release even if it is a bit cheaper... Again, don't why that is.. The discs are the same!)

Generally not worth it if they're the same discs.

I say make the BD case or ask Droo a favor... He's good at this and can probably make something better looking than the official case within the next month depending on his work schedule.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Thanks George...I think I can get my hands on a BD style copy somewhere. ;)

Here's our official review, by the way:
http://animatedviews.com/2010/beauty-an ... d-edition/

Nice set, though it's a little too over-complicated and, as with Snow White, I'd like to be able to directly access certain extras. I still have issues with the movie presentation, too (not full height frame, lack of original version, the crummy workprint in a thumbnail, bad cuts between the theatrical and Imax versions), but at least they got the look a bit more consistent.

Still very glad to have my Work In Progress and CAV Theatrical Release LaserDiscs, though, for the good stuff to be found in those. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2010, 9:53 pm

I have the WIP LD, but it's somewhat rotted. I got rid of the B&B CAV LD and the DVD, to my regret. I might try to get them back at some point.

I still have the Snow White CAV set, and the Fantasia CAV LD and DVD sets, though. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 8th, 2010, 6:58 am

I just basically keep everything if it's an SE version, since you just don't know what will be included next time around. Sure, if it's a vanilla disc like Hercules or James And The Giant Peach...I sold off a lot of those to get the DVDs.

My B&TB WIP has a bit of rot too, I think. It was one of the most notorious titles for that, and I actually collected around three sets over time to get one that was pretty much okay. I'd keep all the Disney sets: you just don't know what's going to be dropped, and you'd never get that book like in the Snow White box, or all those supplements for Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros.

I'm waiting with interest in what's in the Fantasia set, but even then if I want to access standard def DVD features, it's probably easier just to use those discs. There's value in keeping your old SEs! :)